Cottontail Limits

Switch

I took advantage of a break in the weather to hunt rabbits with my good friend Jose and his son Adrian. We had to put in the miles but we each scored limits. A great hunt with great company.

Congrats! Looks like fun. I wish I had rabbit populations like that around here. The big timber Ozark country I live in and hunt is great for squirrels but there's not a lot of suitable rabbit habitat.

Nice, good times.
Do you have to take them?
We have no season and no limits and we don't HAVE to take them after we shoot them.
Don't hunt them much anymore, I try to keep them for coyote food...
We will shoot some in the cold of winter and take one or two home and make rabbit stew , good once and awhile.

They are some really fine eating! Quarter them up, put in a pressure cooker with a clove of garlic, and Half an onion, meat will be falling off the bones after a 7 minute cook. You can fry them, make gravy, best gravy on the planet!

Great times there!

I don't know why anyone wouldn't take cottontails home for the table. A rabbit properly prepared is an excellent meal.

Mesquite smoked cotton tail legs look very similar and taste as good as chicken thighs.

More than a few Dinner parties with friends has been a funny event when I tell them afterwards when people ask how i made dinner.. Most guys don't seem to care but the women tend to act out a bit.. (I don't tell them until after dinner and am careful to scan every piece of meat with a metal detector)

Originally Posted By: GCCongrats! Looks like fun. I wish I had rabbit populations like that around here. The big timber Ozark country I live in and hunt is great for squirrels but there's not a lot of suitable rabbit habitat.

Modern farm practices have really put a hurt on Rabbitat in my area.

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsOriginally Posted By: GCCongrats! Looks like fun. I wish I had rabbit populations like that around here. The big timber Ozark country I live in and hunt is great for squirrels but there's not a lot of suitable rabbit habitat.

Modern farm practices have really put a hurt on Rabbitat in my area.

In my home county the farm land has turned into housing subdivisions or mini yuppy farms. In the main areas I hunt it's all timber or in some cases cattle pastures. Like the more efficient modern farming methods the habitat is gone.

Looks like a good time was had by everyone but the Rabbits.
smile.gif

I have lots of em around my place. I'll eat one every now and then but I kinda like having them around (and my Cur dog loves chasing em) so I mostly leave em alone.
This year we had so much snow they couldn't get to any food so they ate a half dozen 4' Junipers down to nubs and stripped the bark off of a bunch of my rose bushes.
I thought about shooting a few in retaliation but decided to buy a bag of feed corn instead.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: RePeteI thought about shooting a few in retaliation but decided to buy a bag of feed corn instead.
crazy.gif

you old softie.

you will be offering food and shelter to the incoming mexicans from south of the border next. lol

Sorry guys, I just stopped by back here.

Yes, we kept them and ate them. I love cottontail meat. Like was mentioned, you can cook them a variety of ways and the meat is tasty.

it was a fun trip for sure.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: RePeteI thought about shooting a few in retaliation but decided to buy a bag of feed corn instead.
crazy.gif

you old softie.

you will be offering food and shelter to the incoming mexicans from south of the border next. lol

Soft in the head is probably more like it.

I even gather up a gunny sack or two full of Walnuts that are scattered along the road down to the mail boxes for the local Squirrels every fall too.

In return they raid my bird feeders.
frown.gif

Back