AAC Blackout Flash Hider and Suppressor

6mm06

My goal: To lessen the muzzle flash when using night vision scopes, to keep the bloom and white-out to a minimum or as much as possible. Then later if I decide, and especially if Trump signs the suppressor bill, I hope to add a suppressor.

I have been looking at potential flash hiders for use in the short run to meet my objective, to keep the flash to a minimum when using NV scopes. I see that the AAC Blackout ranks very high with flash reduction.

I also have read that when adding a suppressor to the Blackout FH (51 tooth) that there can be a bit of rotation or "play" with some. I also saw a YouTube video where a guy had a remedy to that with 250 grit polish resulting in good lock up. He also mentioned that wobble is not good, which stands to reason, but that a slight rotation is OK.

Questions: First of all, is anyone running this system and what do you think about it?

How well does the flash hider work?

If you use an AAC suppressor, do you have any issues with it not fitting up tightly?

I see that the 762 SD suppressor, which is an old one, has been brought back. Anyone using that and what do you think of it?

What about the 762 SDN6 suppressor?

I'm new to all this and trying to get it right the first time, but again my first goal is for good flash reduction to keep the white-out effect to a minimum. Adding a suppressor may or may not come down the road.

If you have other suggestions then I appreciate any and all.

So the quick version of the AAC saga pertaining to their mounts is it has had numerous issues with wiggle, return to zero, ratchets wearing out, along with less than stellar customer service and there's TONS of complaints about it out there.

IMO it absolutely is not as precise as direct thread or TOMB type mounts. If you want a precision can, look elsewhere. It does okay for CQB type applications. I have shot both the SDN6 and 762 and again, for precision there's a lot better choices.

As for light signature reduction, most ALL brands of suppressors do a great deal in reduction and are pretty equal. The flash hider unsuppressed is a different story. I have played with Surefire, SAS and Griffin Armament and they all did a great job at reducing flash signatures.

Thanks Kino. I appreciate your thoughts on that. That's good to know.

A couple of other questions if you don't mind.

* If I were to purchase the AAC Blackout flash hider (or any other), would it be an easy matter to remove it down the road and replace with a direct fit suppressor? Any issues with doing that?

* Any issues with using an adapter from 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 that would allow a 7.62 suppressor to be installed on a 5.56 AR?

Thanks again.

aac gives you rockset for that flash hider system.

it can be removed, but its recommended to do so by soaking the end of your barrel in water overnight before attempting it. Thats how you break down the bond formed by rockset apparently.

when i bought my 9" aac barrel, it was purchased as a kit and came with that FH along with the gas block and tube.

i sold the flash hider new in package and put a STD (simple threaded device flash hider) on the end of the barrel instead. now i havent fired any of my blackouts with NV of any sort yet, but i do have a 5.56 STD that i can put on my 223 upper that wears the photon and test it out this weekend when i'm up north. Unfortunately i dont have a mini DVR (yet) to be able to share the results as viewed by the scope. but i'll happily let you know if it washes bad or not.

I can tell you first hand that shooting in low light conditions especially, it does a significant knockdown of the flash signature - both in diameter and length - off even my 9" barreled 300 blk and my 16" 223. A buddy of mine wondered how well it did and we did some shots right at dark on his property last summer. as i said, it was significant compared to a bare muzzle.

http://simplethreadeddevices.com/

i cant say that it rates top of the market, but for a non-indexed muzzle device that's easy to remove i think it does quite well, especailly within its $60 price point.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Thanks Kino. I appreciate your thoughts on that. That's good to know.

A couple of other questions if you don't mind.

* If I were to purchase the AAC Blackout flash hider (or any other), would it be an easy matter to remove it down the road and replace with a direct fit suppressor? Any issues with doing that?

* Any issues with using an adapter from 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 that would allow a 7.62 suppressor to be installed on a 5.56 AR?

Thanks again.

I mount my FH and TOMBS with red loctite. Unless you're shooting full auto or constant mag dumps there is no need for rockset. Loctite holds up fine and when you decide to take something off, all that's required is a little heat.

If your thinking of running a 30cal can on an AR or anything in 22cal it works great, not as good as caliber specific but very very well. If you use something like the SAS TOMBS, you have the option to run a FH or muzzle brake and any caliber can will screw right on. Lots of companies offer a thread over muzzle brake type mount now so look around. SAS, Griffin Armament, Mack Brothers, Silencerco all make quality cans. I'm partial to SAS as they've been building this system for almost 20 years and that's longer than most have been in business!

For your application I would look at a brake or FH attached suppressor now instead of messing with AACs 51t.

I bought a brand new LWRC M6IC and the first thing I did was removed the AAC 51t from it! It currently resides somewhere in my pile of unused treasures!

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeThere was a great video on flash hiders, I'll have to search for it.

Below are two videos I saw recently.

The actual testing begins around the 2:30 mark in the first video. A chart at the end of the video shows the flash hiders ranked from lowest lux to the highest. The JP Enterprise FH ranked #1 and the AAC Blackout #2, but this test is of flash hiders and not suppressors or how units work together.

This is a second test from the same guy. The ranking chart is at 6:08 and the JP Enterprise FH continues to rank #1 with the lowest lux.

If a flash hider would be all I would ever want, then I guess the JP Enterprise would get the bid, but since I may want to add a suppressor later, I have to consider all issues like FH, suppressor and lock up etc, which may not allow me to get the best stand-alone FH ability for NV scope use.

So was the FH that's made by Mack Brothers, Griffin, SAS in that test?

Unless it was, and verified by more than one testing and gun writer, I wouldn't put all my stock in their data.

Good luck on your choice but I can absolutely assure you that once you run NVG stuff combined with a quality suppressor, you'll see it's money well spent and as good as it gets.

I can find the video but it was a outdoor test with quite a few, if I remember right the vortex was one of if not the best for suppression.

Originally Posted By: Kino MSo was the FH that's made by Mack Brothers, Griffin, SAS in that test?

I don't recall if those were in the test or not. I will recheck.

I can absolutely assure you that once you run NVG stuff combined with a quality suppressor, you'll see it's money well spent and as good as it gets.

I would love a suppressor for sure, but thought of getting a flash hider for the short term, one that would work well with night vision, but also that would allow for adding a suppressor later.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeI can find the video but it was a outdoor test with quite a few, if I remember right the vortex was one of if not the best for suppression.

Both tests were indoors.

I was searching for flash hiding and not suppression when I found these videos.

6mm06, here is a picture of SAS TOMBS in both the FH and Brake as well as a mounted suppressor and another suppressor that fits the TOMBS. IMO I would pick a system like this, buy the mount, then buy the suppressor later. You'll be money and frustration ahead and have a tack driver as well as a FH that does great in flash signature reduction.

In all honesty the top made FH is not a huge difference in performance.

Back