Storing rifle with suppressor attached

Str8Shooter

I was reading my Tikka manual and it stated that leaving a suppressor attached to a rifle can cause condensation issues. Has anyone else heard about this issue?

I've been running suppressed for over a decade and have had no issues storing my rifles with the cans attached. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, it just depends. All of my barrels are SS, and most of the cans that I leave attached are single point so it's really nothing to worry about for me.

IF you shoot enough and heat your can up, I'm assuming the heat will dissipate the moisture generated by the gunpowder ignition. If your only shooting one or two shots it may not heat up enough to burn up the moisture, and it may not create enough moisture in a couple shot's to even worry about.

I've heard 20 shots from a 308 can cause a suppressor to capture about 1 teaspoon of liquid, but I would also think 20 shots from a 308 would cause the can to heat up enough to dry itself.

If I was running QD or something with a non SS brake attach or flash suppressor attachment I may consider removing it, even though sometimes I don't, I've never had any issues, other than all the carbon and burnt residue left behind on the muzzle, brake or flash hider.

Back