Aluminum Linear Comp?

Varminterror

Anyone make an aluminum Linear Compensator?

I'm doing a 16" barrel for my son, but there's a dovetail at the 16" mark, so I'm cutting shorter and doing a pin & weld linear compensator to bring it up to 16. The Kaw Valley weighs exactly as much as the 2" of barrel would, so it'd weigh the same as if I cut the barrel at 16". If I can find an aluminum model, it'll cut another 1/8th of a pound off.

If not, I'll be happy with a Kaw Valley.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorAnyone make an aluminum Linear Compensator?

I'm cutting shorter and doing a pin & weld linear compensator to bring it up to 16.

so you would use an aluminum pin? which is ok, just wondering.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorAnyone make an aluminum Linear Compensator?

I'm cutting shorter and doing a pin & weld linear compensator to bring it up to 16.

so you would use an aluminum pin? which is ok, just wondering.

Figured one of two options - aluminum pin & TIG, or steel pin, sub surface of the comp exterior diameter, then TIG a "cap" over the top of it to seal it internal.

Far as I have ever heard, as long as the pin isn't removable to allow the muzzle device to be removed, material doesn't matter.

I'm taking a Marlin 60 down to 16" and using a mag tube styled after the old 99M1, good for 10 shots. Of course, it should be simple, except 16" falls right smack in the middle of the mag tube hanger dovetail. So I either have to go longer and have an unsightly dovetail cut into the bottom of my muzzle, or cut the entire dovetail away and do a pin & weld job. More work, and probably doesn't really gain me anything, but it'll be fun...

Last edited:
For the price and minimal weight, I would just go with the Kaw Valley. They have a pretty slim profile and work well.

Last edited:
Leaning heavily towards the Kaw Valley, just wondering if there's anything out there. I'm cutting a quarter pound of barrel off of the muzzle to get to 16", another 2.9oz of barrel to get to 14.1" plus the threaded tenon, but the Kaw Valley weighs 2.9oz, putting it right back on. Comparing aluminum to steel, I'd swap 2.9oz for 1.0, so another 1/8th pound. Not a huge difference and I really like the Kaw Valley LC's, but I figured I'd look around.

My son's still very young, so this is going to be a "hyper youth rifle," shorter pull than a Rascal or Cricket, but a repeater. I grew up on a Marlin 99M1, so I'm looking to replicate that for the mag tube, instead of a full length mag tube under the barrel, for a bit more traditional look.

Last edited:
Good Luck with the aluminum linear comp search.

One bit of advice. Check whatever comp you decide to go with, before you make it permanent. I really like the Kaw Valley comps, and have a couple...BUT. I had a KV comp on one of my 6.8 SPC rifles, that mysteriously had the groups open up. I read somewhere that linear comps may effect group size, so I spun it off, and re-checked group size. Groups tightened right up. I really like what the linear does to the muzzle blast, but not what it did to the consistency of that rifle. I tested this on several other rifles, and some had no measurable effect, and some did. So for short range guns, and HD rifles, I put on a KV comp(if it doesn't have a suppressor), but for long range rifles, where I want every bit of consistency between shots, generally I don't use linear comps.

Squeeze

Back