Missouri Hogs

300WM Shooter

Hey everyone, I'm in the Air Force stationed in Missouri at Whiteman AFB. I've always wanted to try hog hunting but with two kids, deployments always rolling around, and the never ending financial burden, taking a trip to somewhere like Texas or wherever you would usually think of hog hunting is a little out of the question. I've never been hog hunting and wouldn't even know where to start. I'm just looking to see if anyone hunts hogs in Missouri or somewhere close that might be a reasonable weekend venture. Also, how do you guys usually hunt them if you are hunting a public access area? Spot and stalk? I'm all about exploring and just walking around until I see something or figure it out, if that's what it takes. Do hogs spook like deer do? Or do they "stand their ground" a little better than deer? I read on gameandfishmag . com that the Devils Backbone Wilderness area in Southern MO is a decent place to go in Missouri. Anyone ever been there? Any input is always appreciated.

Thanks

I know nothing about Missouri but I will try answer your question about hog behavior. Hogs can't see anywhere near as good as deer but they aren't blind either. A hogs nose is just as good if not better than a deer. A deer will sometimes stand and blow and stomp after they smell you before leaving. A hog might grunt as he is leaving but there is no hesitation once they smell you, they leave. The only time you might see a hog stand it's ground is if you somehow have it's exit blocked or maybe wounded. You must keep the wind in your favor if you plan to spot and stalk for hogs. It can be a cross wind, but the best is in your face.

Reach out to a member here with the screen name "Plumbbob." He is recently retired from the Air Force and was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood. Though retired he still works there and lives nearby. I think he runs into hogs occasionally there on the Fort and knows of others that kill hogs there.

It is currently illegal to hunt hogs on property owned by and/or managed by the Missouri Department of Conservation. What exactly that means I have yet to get a clear answer about. The Missouri Department of Conservation, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, US Forest Service, National Park Service, US Fish & Wildlife and Corp of Engineers all maintain huntable property in Missouri and the MDC has a hand in managing all of it. Some folks theorize that hog hunting is only illegal on state property and the federal ground is open. Others say that since MDC helps in the management planning on the federal property within the state that makes areas such as the Mark Twain National Forest off limits to hog hunting also. I get answers from authorities that dance all around it. I'd say that a member in the military would probably not have trouble with permission on Fort Lost in the Woods.

Back