Michigan hunters

Quig

New to the forum and to calling. Are there any guys from Michigan having any success calling, and what would be your calling sequence?

Good to see another West Michigan guy on here. Not a ton of luck so far this year. Haven't been out a whole lot yet. Usually wait till January and all the deer hunters are out of the woods. Coyote vocals have worked pretty well the last two years. What part of west Michigan?

i managed to fool a great horned owl into swooping my decoy over the weekend, does that count?

this is one of the smaller ones we have on the property living in or near our spruces. The big one has a larger wingspan than i do (and i'm 5'10)!
20161224_174001_zps2mekixrw.jpg

crappy pic i know, but it was 0-dark-30 and starting to get foggy.
20161224_175050_zpsevkp2rok.jpg

he took three swipes at it about 5 or so mins apart but never got closer than roughly a foot from it before he'd fly back up in a different tree. thought i was gonna have to go chase it down lol

I'm by Scottville, which is east of Ludington. The snow is so crunchy and loud now Its going to be tough to get to a stand without alerting them.
Where are you located?

those pics are just outside of mt.pleasant area, snow was nice and soft christmas eve by us, and the crunchy is why i didnt even attempt anything on christmas day.

That's awesome, way to much state land up there not to try and hunt it. Well hopefully we get some new snow and by next weekend things should be rocking for sure.

Zip so far in the NW lower. Just got a Fusion (fantastic call and the TX-1000 remote kicks a$$) before Christmas, with all those related activities and the high winds we haven't been out much. Right now we're going after fox since coyotes are year round and they'll respond to the Fox sounds if they're in the area. The best part is we can now use centerfire rifles and our suppressors plus a new Zeus thermal scope, all we need is the animals to cooperate:).

Got 1 red fox for one trip out so far. A friend saw it go in a wood lot. I went in on the track with a shotgun. Found it mousing the brushy edge, I gave it a lip squeek and killed it as it got close. Start to finish about 1 hour.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeGot 1 red fox for one trip out so far. A friend saw it go in a wood lot. I went in on the track with a shotgun. Found it mousing the brushy edge, I gave it a lip squeek and killed it as it got close. Start to finish about 1 hour.
cool.gif

Congrats on the stalk. At the end of the day those lips squaks compete with any caller on the market.

Thanks !

Wish our snow had not gone away. Got 13 days of vac over the holidays and it's turned into a working around the house event. Atleast I'll be caught up for the winter I hope.
grin.gif

Rockford Sparta area for me. Will hit it hard after the first of the year.
I mostly use open reed mouth calls but sometimes use my old FoxPro 416 with remote.

JD338

Well, I'm seeing a lot of tracks, I can't manage to call one in. I'm going to have to find out how far the sound is carrying in these hills with the snow on.

I've been calling a couple times east of Fountain, (north of us 10, east of Ludington) so far I see tracks but haven't seen any coyotes. My new icotec 320 hasn't brought in the coy's but it sure makes the local dogs go nuts.
I've been hunting public land and haven't seen signs of other hunter since deer season was over. Back when I was deer hunting the coyotes would go nuts howling about dark. Now that I am trying to call them all is quiet.

Well guys we are finally getting some fresh snow down here in GR, hopefully we have a couple crappy days and it clears up this weekend. Got the lights all ready and my buddy is set up ready to go. Now to finish out this work week that seems to be dragging on.

ya, we're getting some snow here too, but dunno how much we're gonna get in metro detroit.

i'm praying for some coverage in the jackson area, like you're hoping for out there in GR. My cousin has an active pack on his property that he wants dead, and we've been waiting for a weather swing to head out and take them on since all the snow melted on us a few days back.

heading to the range tomorrow to zero the new Photon and the IR light just showed up yesterday.

Nice Plant.One, Not getting a ton of snow here yet. Just cold cold temps. I will be trying out the red lights this weekend. Hopefully have some pictures to show come Sunday.

photon zeroed. took me a minute to get used to their +/- system. i ended up with X+16 Y -6 to get it zeroed @ 100 yds.

also found out its useless as [beeep] on a bull moose for seeing a small bullseye at 100 yds or bullet impacts even on a splatter type target at 50 yds, but was able to get it about 3/4" of where i wanted it and called it a day.

at least with it being 14*F out there (with wind chill somewhere around 0*F), i pretty much had the range to myself.

RSO told me i was the 8th brave soul of the day.

Well it was a cold cold night on Friday night/Saturday morning. I ended up picking up my buddy around 10pm and headed north. It was cold, truck said -11 most of the night and judging by my toes it was. Well we ended up making it to 3 pieces of property and only had one going, but the fox pro decided to die 2 minutes into the stand and we were left sitting there listening to one howl at us. We were both new to night hunting being as this was our first time trying it with lights. Overall it was fun just hoping for more action. Maybe next time

Back