squirrel artillery

I have a Crossman 10 pump BB/.177 pellet gun, spent $40 0n it 20 years ago, dead on @ 30yds. How much more do you need to shoot a squirrel or a bunny?

Powerfisher, maybe not everyone shoots squirrels and bunnies at 30 yards. Will your rifle shoot like Bowhunt's does at 35 yards? What about further? If yours works well for you, then you have all you need. Just don't insinuate that yours will meet everyone else's needs. That's narrow thinking.

There's one last reason for guys liking rifles different from yours. The answer is simple. Because they can. Because some guys like fine rifles and because people are different.

So, if your rifle suits you, then that's great. Enjoy.

No urinating contest going on here. Good for you and everybody else. I thought the topic that the OP put up was about squirrel artillery...All I did was state what I use to shoot little critters.....JMO, sorry, all I did was reply to the OPs question. Thanks for the bashing.....Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PowerfisherNo urinating contest going on here. Good for you and everybody else. I thought the topic that the OP put up was about squirrel artillery...All I did was state what I use to shoot little critters.....JMO, sorry, all I did was reply to the OPs question. Thanks for the bashing.....Happy Hunting.

I would believe all this to be true had you not included this....

"....How much more do you need to shoot a squirrel or a bunny?"

I don't think you were bashing me and i don't think that 6mm was bashing you.

I will answer your last question with a question......Since when does "need" have anything to do with it?! LOL. I love them all....even $40 ones...the more guns, the better
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: PowerfisherI have a Crossman 10 pump BB/.177 pellet gun, spent $40 0n it 20 years ago, dead on @ 30yds. How much more do you need to shoot a squirrel or a bunny? Yup, I agree...but I use the Gamo Magnum .177 ,1650fps....easily does the job....unfortunately not $40.......lol

Usually my Savage 7a .22 but sometimes my Swiss Arms TG-1 .177. When I'm feeling frisky my Savage Axis 22-250. Some times ya just need to reach out and touch em
wink.gif

Last edited:
When I was young most were shot with a shotgun while grouse, pheasant or rabbit hunting.

On the trap line they were shot with a 22LR handgun, they added a little variety to the pot in camp along with rabbits and grouse.

The last few years I live in squirrel country I used a 358 Norma Magnum loaded with 148gr double ended wadcutters over a few grains of 700X, very accurate(they shot clover leafs at 50 yards), quite quiet, damage very little meat(you could eat right up to the bullet hole) and a great prelude to big game season. I killed a lot of squirrels with that rig.

Last edited:
FrankenCub,

I'm going to set my 22-250 up for using on smaller game with option to still use full power loads. Will use Case Black to mark reduced loads from Full Power ones. Have 'Trailboss' powder on hand. Any tips on loads? Other powders to look at? Bullets , powder, problems with primers? My 22-250 tends to like everything shot thru it. I use 52 gr bullets around 3500fps and can get less than 1" pretty easily from a light sporter rifle. I did free float barrel which did cost me group size but now it shoots to same point all the time regardless of temperature and moisture on wood stock.

I just started using a Benjamin Armada in .25 (think Marauder in tactical furniture). Just took my first game with it this evening: cottontail @ ~30 yds.

i use an airgun.... most recently a cometa lynx in 22... why?? because it shoots bughole groups at 50yds, and it is quiet. i have several nice rimfire guns, but none of them ever come out of the safe anymore!

1946 Marlin 39....

I also have a CZ 452 artillery piece that I bought myself for Christmas but I haven't used it yet....

I still hunt squirrels with my dads old trusty Marlin 60 .22 I am on the lookout for a budget hm2 because I think it is the best squirrel gun made.

Harmon, that rifle is so pretty that I believe I would cringe at the thought of taking it into the squirrel woods. Beautiful rifle.

TC contender with .22lr match barrel. Likes cci mini-mags. Shoots one hole with the match stuff(on the rare occasion that I do my part) This pic was taken on Thanksgiving morning early in the hunt. Limited out(8) by 0915 that morning.
Xeeh6wL.jpg

This was early in the hunt the morning after thanksgiving. Wound up with five that mourning. The rifle is a winchester wildcat that I made the stock for. It shoots good but nearly as good as the contender but it makes up for that because it does not take as much time to reload. I have had some get away while reloading the contender.
OJsOfuz.jpg

Back