45-70 and cast bullets

vahunter

First off I know nothing about cast bullets. What I'm looking to do is find a bullet around 300 grains and a load that will take deer plus being easy on the shoulder. I have been using Sierra 300 JHP with 49.9 grains of 4198. These old bones can't take the brutal recoil of that load anymore even though it will shoot under an inch with the gun scoped. I had thought about getting rid of the 45-70 and getting a .44 mag but with a good reduced load I can keep it and be happy. Any suggestions ? Thanks

Last edited:
Meister Bullets (meisterbullets.com) has quite a nice selection of .458 cast bullets including a couple of 300 gr. they prices are reasonable, $97/500. I use their 85 gr bullet in my 25-204 for small game and finishers for coyotes, they are very accurate in my rifle.

Not a 300gr bullet but I've been playing with some 405gr cast bullets 25gr 5744 gets me around 1200 fps very easy shooting and very accurate out of my 3 Marlin 45-70's and Shilo 1874 Sharps

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsPaul Mathews wrote some good books on cast in the 45-70. I want to say the Gould HP mold but I would have to look it up to be sure.

I had the pleasure of shooting black powder silhouette with Paul Matthews a couple of times at Ridgeway rifle club in PA, and I don't believe anyone has as much knowledge about the 45-70 as Paul

I appreciate all the help. Now to try a bullet and take it from there. I saw some where where some guys were using Unique with reduced loads. Anybody here ever tried it ?

Last edited:
I've been shooting a 45/70 for about 40 yrs used to love to shoot 405 gr bullets as hot as i could stand 2000 fps +, but now being much older and a lot more beat up I've gone to shooting the 525 gr beartooth bullet they weigh more like 540gr at 1200-1300 fps recoil is more of a push then a punch and they hit like a school bus.

if you're going to shoot 300 gr bullets might as well just shoot the .44 mag.

Originally Posted By: vahunterI appreciate all the help. Now to try a bullet and take it from there. I saw some where where some guys were using Unique with reduced loads. Anybody here ever tried it ?

I use the Lee 405gr plain based bullet sized to .459 over 14gr of Unique. I can't remember the velocity and my notes are packed up (in the process of moving) but I think it was about 1200fps out of my Marlin Guide Gun. It's easy on the shoulder and would easily take any big game animal. You can find other reduced loads and bullet weights here: http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Key

Originally Posted By: longrange454If you go with a different calibre take a good look at the 444 Marlin. I did. between 45-70 and 444, I will take my 444S over my 1895GS every time. I don't run cast bullets in any of my Big Bores, instead I use Hornady 265gr. #4300 FP in my 444, and 325gr. Hornady FP in my 45-70.

Last edited:
I've killed two Alaska Bull Moose, one with the 425 and one with the 525 pile driver. Both one shot kills, complete pass through. Most accurate ones I've tested.

Back