New to Predator Masters- Question for hunting the desert

Just joined the forum after observing for several months. Thanks to all for your wealth of knowledge. I have learned much, to say the least.

I am just getting into coyote hunting and am addicted. I live NW of Tucson and have killed a couple so far. Though I have hunted my whole life (I am 51 years old), I have never hunted coyotes, so I am a newbie. My question is for you desert hunters- do you find washes are the best places to hunt, all things being equal, or are open desert areas just as good? The couple I have killed were out in the open desert scrub and one was near a wash. I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm a good student and appreciate all of your knowledge on this forum. Thanks!

I hunt the desert often and both places are a good start. Any place where the brush is taller then the surrounding areas are good places for rabbitsand such to be and in turn you will find coyotes. I typically hunt transition areas but washes, sage flats or draws. Good luck

I am not a expert by any imagination but I hunt in areas where I can get a a little elevation so I can see them in the cover coming in. Not much I go up 10-15 feet on a hill and sit in the rocks. I don't go anywhere near the top of hills as to not be sky lined. And try to call into cover watching the wind.

Welcome to becoming a member of PM and taking the plunge!

I think you have about 9 different species of predators/furbearers that you can hunt within a 50 mile radius of NW Tucson. The habitat you hunt will determine which species will likely show up when you call.

Open desert areas will likely yield more coyotes. Wash bottoms with dense cover will likely contain more bobcats and AZ grey foxes. You also have some riparian areas along the Santa Cruz River for raccoon, Coatimundi, and ringtail cats. Lions can be anywhere but look for them in culverts along the CAP Canal during the daytime and where the city boundary line follows the base of the surrounding mountain ranges. Badgers are generally called in incidental to calling coyotes in the creosote flats and kitt fox will like those big open bald spots.

The sounds you use are not that important. Playing the wind is paramount. Call far enough away from your vehicle so it cannot be seen from your calling stand. Use a shotgun and call them in up close and personal in the thick stuff.

I think southern AZ is best place in the lower 48 for predator calling. I spent 12 years in NW Tucson and had a blast trying to call in all the different species down there.

Good Luck and Good Hunting!

I am not a expert by any imagination but I hunt in areas where I can get a a little elevation so I can see them in the cover coming in. Not much I go up 10-15 feet on a hill and sit in the rocks. I don't go anywhere near the top of hills as to not be sky lined. And try to call into cover watching the wind.

Thanks, Viper, Blowgunner and Fursniper! I really appreciate all of your help! Fursniper, I have read many of your posts (since I saw you were in my area) and have learned a lot. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. One of the reasons I joined this site is I saw how helpful everyone is when there is a new member who has a question or needs help or suggestions. All of this is good info. Thanks for the replies, guys.

I hunt AZ a lot, live part time in Vegas. They are everywhere, one of your biggest issues will be finding a place to post, as to not get busted. Especially in the flats. Sometimes ya' only have a small thicket to post near. So, try and keep your movement to an absolute minimum. Good luck and hope you gettem! Regards, Drop

Thanks, Drop. Appreciate the info as well as all of your posts I have read. I am trying my best to learn as I go. All of the info on this site by members such as yourself has been very helpful. Wishing you success.

Last edited:
Back