Squirrel Poachers...

The family vacation spot is 30 miles from where the Wis. hunters were killed. Bad deal, Especially in rural Wisconsin where everyone knows or is related to most of the people you see daily.

Years back, some fellers where I used to live in Ohio, got caught with over 100 frogs, I think limit was 12 each. They paid 100$ apiece for everything over 24, that's some expensive frog legs.

Poaching fines here are a joke. Recently a certain a-hole convicted felon with a rap sheet that had all sorts of various crimes on it, which included game law violations, shot a black bear here. He lied and made up stories of being attacked and all sorts of B.S. until he finally confessed that he just wanted to shoot the thing to say he shot a bear. The [beeep] judge only fined him a little over $200. If I was a sportsman in that county come election time I'd lobby hard to vote that idiot judge out of office.

here if you get busted poaching, they can confiscate every item you used in the poaching process.

this includes your gun, your vehicle, your fishing equipment - even your house if that's where you're storing the illegally taken game.

and that goes above and beyond the actual fines levy'ed with the ticket itself.

that may not happen in your part gc, but I know a couple of guys that have everything taking away, until fine is paid. 1 guy I knew got caught turkey hunting before season. They took everything from him and hauled him to jail, sat in jail all day long until the warden came and got him out. They took his gun, callers, camo and he even his Skoal he said. He wasn't all to happy but you pay you play I believe I didn't feel 1 lick sorry for the guy.

Last edited:
Quote: The [beeep] judge only fined him a little over $200. If I was a sportsman in that county come election time I'd lobby hard to vote that idiot judge out of office.

The way it was explained to me by a southern MO poacher I knew, He told me poaching was a way of life down there, just the way it is. And if a local judge comes down too hard on the locals, he won't get re-elected.

We used to hunt down in Dent, Indian trail forest, if I remember correctly. Too many poachers and hillbilly inbreds back then. Our friend sold his place while he could. Heck, the local Gamewarden back in the late 70's early 80's, I think his name was Sam. Must have had his hands full. We would catch dogs the locals were using to run deer, turn them over to Sam, and they would be out running the next day.

That sounds right, I don't know about a sam but running Deer yeop that is still a thing. Maybe not so much in indian trail too much anymore. They still have their hands full but our wardens in Ingram and Midgett are a little more hardcore then back then I guess.

Does anyone know where these 100 squirrels where at, I have a young dog that need too see that many, and maybe he will just have a chance to make it as a hunting dog.

The counties I hunt are assigned two Conservation Agents because the poaching is so bad. The conservation agents are doing their job, the local elected officials such as the county prosecutor and judge don't want to piss off too many local people so they don't worry much about game violations hauled into court. Heck the old Sheriff and most of his deputies in the main county I hunt have several deer dogging and poaching convictions. Since those are misdemeanor violations those guys could remain in office and the public loved them, thought nothing about it. That Sheriff finally retired after about 30 years in office and with the new Sheriff and staff things are better from what I hear.

Originally Posted By: shawn@moDoes anyone know where these 100 squirrels where at, I have a young dog that need too see that many, and maybe he will just have a chance to make it as a hunting dog.

Not many squirrels around Salem this year? My hunting areas along the Current River are loaded with squirrels.

Seen tons in the spring, but not too many now. Been a few times, and only have seen 2. But I guess with people killing 100 plus they may be a few less come fall time. Nuts are hitting the ground more So I am hoping I will start to see more.

Someone told me this same group of guys got caught doing something illegal on snow geese in the Squaw Creek area the year before. Said one of them owned an Asian buffet up north.

Back