"Pocket-size" Multi-tool opinions?

canislatrans54

Hello all.

Reason for this post: I am considering getting my Dad a multi-tool for Christmas this year.

#1) Dad usually carries a tiny pocketknife (less than 2-1/2" closed)...just in case he needs to open a package, ect.

#2) So, in other words, he doesn't need something with a huge amount of tool options. And, he may not use it overly often.

#3) He's going to be 77 on Christmas Day, and while he is in very good health, his grip isn't quite as good as it once was. So, "spring-assisted" pliers in the tool would be a good thing.

#4) He doesn't own an AR...nor does he work on his guns...so he doesn't need a tool with tools specific for those uses.

#5) My budget is $100 or less.

I have had a Leatherman for 14-15 years. I think the model was called a "PST", or something similar.
I rec'd it one year @ Christmas, from my (at the time) father-in-law.
I have carried that thing nearly every day since.
My Dad has commented over the years, that it "sure seems handy".
But, he's never bought himself a multi-tool.
And I have always gotten him something else.

But, I'm thinking this year about finally getting him a tool.
(It's kind of hard to buy gifts for him, because he "has everything".)

Anyway...I am looking for suggestions on multi-tools.
Leatherman, Gerber, or whatever brand.
Thanks in advance!
cool.gif

I have tried a few different brands but always end up with Leatherman. I've carried a Wave for about a decade now, plus a Squirt in my front pocket (it has scissors instead of pliers). For what you describe, the Leatherman Freestyle or Skeletool might be a good fit.

Freestyle

Skeletool

Leatherman offers a number of other pocket-sized tools from which to select.

Leatherman pocket-sized multi-tools

All of these meet your budget.

Check into the Gerber "Dime". Only about 3in. long, less than $20 on Amazon. I have heard it's a good SMALL tool. Small enough to put on a key ring.

I'd also say to look at the Leatherman Skeletool CX or regular versions. Has a blade, pliers, and a bit driver that comes with 1 phillips bit (different size on each end) and 1 flat bit that also has two sizes. Simple multitool that can get 95% of every day tasks done for him.

I'm a little late here but I have another recommendation.Although Leatherman makes a good multi-tool,I can hardily recommend the Victorinox Spirit.It's available for $80.00 with free shipping.It's ergonomic,the individual tools all have nail nicks and are easy to open,the tools don't clump together and it's polished to a mirror finish.

Spirit

Wompa & HornetHunter.....I thank you for your recommendations.

I found that my finances this month didn't allow for getting Dad a "tool". (Not along with buying gifts for Mom, sister, my kids & their "significant others".)

So, I got Dad a "Rtic" 10oz "Lowball" mug.Thought he can use it (along with his water jug), when he's working out in the pasture....instead of using the plastic cup he's been using for years.

Since I have a few months to get one now, I will get him the "tool" for Father's Day.

Originally Posted By: canislatrans54Wompa & HornetHunter.....I thank you for your recommendations.

I found that my finances this month didn't allow for getting Dad a "tool". (Not along with buying gifts for Mom, sister, my kids & their "significant others".)

So, I got Dad a "Rtic" 10oz "Lowball" mug.Thought he can use it (along with his water jug), when he's working out in the pasture....instead of using the plastic cup he's been using for years.

Since I have a few months to get one now, I will get him the "tool" for Father's Day.

You're welcome,good luck and Merry Christmas.

Probably too late to this party, but for anyone else interested in a good multi-tool:

I've gone through a few and the Leatherman Skeletool is probably the best bang for your buck out there. Due to the funky design, it's very lightweight and because it's stainless, it holds up very well. Has just the right amount of tools on it as well, none of the fluff that you find on other multi-tools. Add a Leatherman Bit Kit + pouch and you've got a very nice setup.

Back