Ruger Mini 14 for coyotes?

Originally Posted By: drenalinhunter1i am considering buying a mini 14 and topping it with a coyote special scope...i was just wondering if any one would recommend a mini 14 for coyote or not, i would love to get an AR but i don't have that kind of money!!...thanks for the help Don't get me wrong, I love the mini's but they are not really known for being an accurate weapon, they are tough as nails and will last, but I would go with an AR if trying to go semi...I built one with the arch-angel set-up, scoped it...and ended up with a super heavy piece. Leave the ranch rifle as a ranch rifle...u might not be to happy with the end result??

I had one and I couldn't get good groups out of it.. Even at 50 yards I'd get fliers out to about 2"..
I gave up and sold it.

Originally Posted By: Dewey NYI had one and I couldn't get good groups out of it.. Even at 50 yards I'd get fliers out to about 2"..
I gave up and sold it.
Same here, then tried a Rem 750 synthetic 308 but that had unreliable feed, went to AR(s) and never looked back..

I had a mini for 3 days once, 2 of them were while it was waiting for me to pick it up.

That's not a joke. Biggest piece of [beeep] money can buy.

I've had 3 Mini 14's, couldn't hit the water from a boat.. Also, the triggers are SO creepy, that if you pull the trigger on a Friday it'll generally go off sometime over the weekend.

BUT: after a trigger job and a lot of trial and error working up a load, the one I have now is a shooter!! Go figure! The only thing is, it won't print a group. First shot cold barrel is RIGHT ON. 2nd an d3rd shots slowly begin to stray. So it shoots coyotes here in the eastern woods out to 100yd.s no problem. Don't think I'd take it out west. Has its place though, and I do love it.

defiant3,
Get an Accu-Strut on that rifle and it won't drift until maybe 15 rounds (or more). My strutted mini actually shoots tighter when hot. It consistently shoots 1.5"@100yds with handloads.

Originally Posted By: Aaron_ProffittIf they were good enough for the A-Team, they're good enough for me .

Did you ever notice no one ever got killed on that show??? lol

Originally Posted By: SoftpointOriginally Posted By: Aaron_ProffittIf they were good enough for the A-Team, they're good enough for me .

Did you ever notice no one ever got killed on that show??? lol

That is funny as [beeep]

I've had three mini-14's, all would shoot 1.5 MOA at a hundred yards and cleaning up the triggers took all of about 5 minutes total. They can be made to shoot easily, they are durable, lightweight, handle well and are a blast to shoot. I still have one mini-14 and a mini-30. They are not target rifles, they are "ranch" rifles and are perfect for their purpose. Like everything else in life, those that don't understand, turn to hate in response.

Originally Posted By: MotoHunterI've had three mini-14's, all would shoot 1.5 MOA at a hundred yards and cleaning up the triggers took all of about 5 minutes total. They can be made to shoot easily, they are durable, lightweight, handle well and are a blast to shoot. I still have one mini-14 and a mini-30. They are not target rifles, they are "ranch" rifles and are perfect for their purpose. Like everything else in life, those that don't understand, turn to hate in response.

Sometimes that's true. And sometimes they have different actual experiences to form their opinion. Usually you can tell the players from the fans if you pay attention.

I liked shooting my mini, but ended up selling it for an AR for better accuracy. Last I checked, a mini-14 wasn't much cheaper than an entry-level AR. I think you'll be happy either way, but if you can afford the AR, that's what I would recommend.

Back