boyds pro varmint?

ohihunter2014

hey guys I'm looking to throw a boyds on my savage axis heavy barrel 223. I will mostly be using the gun for some bench shooting, coyote hunting and woodchuck hunting. a lot of guys keep saying pro varmint, pro varmint when I ask what stock.

is this stock as uncomfortable as it looks? I'm so used to the original savage stocks that I don't want to drop the coin on this thing and have it suck. does anyone also know any factory rifles that come with this stock so I might go try it out first?

That stock looks very comfortable. The A-5 type stocks are a good pattern for what you are looking to do as in going from bench to sticks to prone in the various disciplines you plan to use.

I put one on my HBSS Savage Bmag 17 WSM because the plastic POS it came with couldn't really be called a stock and I like it really well. I have MCM A5's on some of my other guns and the Pro Varmint has a very familiar feel. I didn't weigh it before and after but it didn't seem to add all that much weight to it. Liked it so much I put one on a Ruger 77/17HMR as well.

The one thing I did notice about the two different Pro Varmint stocks I have is the one on my Bmag, which is the standard black painted stock, verus the one on the 77/17, which is the Coyote Laminated, on the Coyote Laminated the wood seems quite a bit harder than the standard black painted one on my Bmag.

The Pro Varmint's I used had quite a bit higher comb than the stocks they were replacing, especially on the 77/17, and for me, that was a good thing.

Considering they're relatively inexpensive, if they are only a slight improvement over the factory stock, they're worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760That stock looks very comfortable. The A-5 type stocks are a good pattern for what you are looking to do as in going from bench to sticks to prone in the various disciplines you plan to use.

I was talking about the giant grip, that thing looks huge.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: pahntr760That stock looks very comfortable. The A-5 type stocks are a good pattern for what you are looking to do as in going from bench to sticks to prone in the various disciplines you plan to use.

It's a completely different style grip than a conventional hunting stock that's for sure. The vertical grip like is found on the Pro Varmint could take a little getting used to or it's possible you'll always hate it, really just depends on the shooter.

For me, shooting from a bench or prone, I like the vertical grip but anything I'll be out and about in the bush with, I have conventional stocks on those.

If you like to wrap your thumb over the stock when you grip it, you may not like the vertical grip stocks but, at least for me, when I'm shooting from a bench or prone I don't wrap my thumb over and I like the feel of the vertical grip but if I'm shooting off hand I much prefer a conventional grip.

You may want to find someone with a vertical grip stock and try it out before you buy one.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: pahntr760That stock looks very comfortable. The A-5 type stocks are a good pattern for what you are looking to do as in going from bench to sticks to prone in the various disciplines you plan to use.

That's because "gripping" a rifle will alter things...the large palm swells are made to prevent that. Light grip, thumbs up...no torquing on the stock. It is purpose built.

hows it for walking around field and woods for and shooting off sticks or bipod? that grip looks good for bench and maybe prone but not sitting with a sitting bipod.

Sounds as though you may have already made up your mind and possibly don't realize it. This type of stock is not for everyone and if you have this much doubt, it sounds like it very well is not the right stock for you.

Maybe something like the Prairie Hunter would suit your needs more appropriately.

If you are looking at a Laminated stock, it will be a bunch heavier than a solid wood...I have a Boyds on my 6.5 CM and it didn't take long for me to pick up two Boyd's Prairie Hunters to lighten up the package for carrying...The Laminated one is great for bench shooting..
Laminate:

Solid Walnut Prairie Hunter:

I was interested in laminate in the pepper. I just got home from the range and looked at several pics of these stocks and the way you would have to hold the grip and tried it with mine just holding my hand and not gripping it like I normally would and it felt off. ive shot shotguns and rifles with normal stocks for a long time. got a lot of shotgunning time in so I think that PV stock would throw me off a little bit with the grip.

I was able to find a pro varmint and try it out. cabelas had a rifle on display with that stock and it was the plywood model and man that thing is super heavy! it felt good when leaning on the counter but standing shouldering it didn't feel so well because of the weight and the way the grip is. prone and bench might suit it better but I cant see it being comfy sitting with a long bipod or shooting sticks. it did feel good when on the counter though. I might have to go back and play with it some more and see.

Originally Posted By: chrs_28Great stock, i have one i use for bench shooting and wouldn't complain at all.
.. +1 .. and it looks good too..

I've shot with the "regular" stocks for over 50 years before getting
the ProVarmint (then rediculously called TactiCool). It quickly became
my favorite stock. I find it to shoot comfortably in any position
tried. Mine is forest camo and I think it's mighty "purdy", too.
thumbup.gif

MDChVjK.jpg

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneI've shot with the "regular" stocks for over 50 years before getting
the ProVarmint (then rediculously called TactiCool). It quickly became
my favorite stock. I find it to shoot comfortably in any position
tried. Mine is forest camo and I think it's mighty "purdy", too.
thumbup.gif

MDChVjK.jpg

how's it feel when sitting and shooting of sticks or standing?

Haven't shot it off sticks, but sitting or standing is very
good. But I can only say that it has done great for me. You
very well could have a different opinion. This stock is on a
very heavy recoiler, a converted 700ML to .45 smokeless and
perceived recoil was drastically reduced. I originally put a
Boyd's TH on it and it was not at all a good fit in hunting
situations.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014I was able to find a pro varmint and try it out. cabelas had a rifle on display with that stock and it was the plywood model and man that thing is super heavy!

Just curious here but what kind of stock are you used to that makes you think these are "super heavy"???

You must be comparing them to some of the super cheap plastic stocks because in all honesty, Boyd's doesn't use super high quality wood that is real dense and heavy like some of the high dollar laminates have. I have a Remington LSS that has a factory laminated stock on it and it weighs within a couple ounces of the two Boyd's Pro Varmint stocks I have.

Back