Hunting subsonic

Originally Posted By: killahogOriginally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: DJ_MackWhat bullet do you guys use? What animals? And are you shooting vitals or head shots? Thanks fellas.

Looking to reload for subsonic.

For the 30 cal there are a couple options, we use the Cutting Edge Bullets 190 grain RAPTOR (sub-sonic)
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=FB_308_190_SS

Skinny are you using those in a 308 or a 300 BLK

Blackout.

I am getting great results with the outlaw state .308 expanding subs. Trailboss in a 308 WIN about a 1" group @ 100 yds. I have shot some into milk jugs at impact velocities as low as about 700fps and they expand very well. So far 3 deer and two hogs did not make 75 yards after being shot. Groups out of my 30-06 are a little worse but less than 1.75" all the time.... 300BKKOUT does the best at always less than 1" using w296 powder.

220 SMK traveled thru all 6 jugs and impacted 2x6 backer outlaw state bullets traveled thru 3 if I remember correctly and stopped. Impact velocity about 700fps. Fantastic expansion.

Originally Posted By: FISHSTICKERI am getting great results with the outlaw state .308 expanding subs. Trailboss in a 308 WIN about a 1" group @ 100 yds. I have shot some into milk jugs at impact velocities as low as about 700fps and they expand very well. So far 3 deer and two hogs did not make 75 yards after being shot. Groups out of my 30-06 are a little worse but less than 1.75" all the time.... 300BKKOUT does the best at always less than 1" using w296 powder.

Cool, slowly getting my 300BLK project together, I will look at these bullets. Thanks for the info

I have shot a fair amount of the maker bullets out of my blackout. The 180's shoot much better than the 200's.... it is a design thing. They are working hard to get the 200's to shoot as good as the 180's. That being said...the 180's have enough weight to kill coyotes at 100 yards. I am shooting mine out of a 7.5 twist benchmark barrel fit by long rifle Inc. I am using H110 powder and getting good groups. They open up on coyotes and kill much better than the 208 grain Amax bullets. I would recommend these bullets for subsonic loads.

the theory is great, subsonic bullets with a can, nearly silent killer of coyotes. BUT, without a bullet that expands, it is only a theory.
I lost 3 coyotes in one week a couple years ago, body shots. They ran for miles and never stopped. At $1 a piece for projectiles that expand, I will stick with supersonic rounds.

My experience with subsonic loads in the 300 was problematic. It took a lot of load development to find something that would shoot well. Also known as expensive, 30 caliber bullets are not cheap. If if had been the $1 a piece bullets I would have more in load development than it could possibly be worth. I found that subsonic rounds were VERY sensitive to brass consistency, as well as seating depth. I finally found a sub moa load, but it was not easy.

I have not shot my 300 now for a couple years.

I have a 30 cal suppressor coming, I haven't been around a 300BLK enough to know if the subsonic rounds are worth the hassle, nor do I know how much louder the supersonic rounds will be...

I would like to get a setup that IS subsonic, to reduce noise signature at night, how much of a PITA will it be?

What platform will give me the best chance of success?

300 BLKOUT

Smaller case capacity and typically faster twist barrel make it a natural to shoot subsonic. You can stabilize a 240 grain or larger bullet with the 1:7 twist. My most accurate loads have been out of a 300 BLKOUT.

308 WIN

Larger case slower twist means you will have to pick a smaller projectil and it will be harder to fill the case while remaining sub sonic. This year I went back to the 308 for my main gun for more knockdown with supersonic bullets....still suppressed. After playing with a few powders and bullets I found a can of trail boss and struck gold. This power has worked very well for me in my subsonic quest. In the 308 you take up a lot of the case capacity with 12 grains of trail boss and the 200 grain outlaw state expanding bullet. And I am getting about a 1" group at 100 yards. The 308 gives you the option to push a bullet much faster and hit much harder than the 300 blkout if the need arises.

If you don't are you don't want to start reloading shooting subs accurately will certainly be a challenge. So far I have been able to work up a reasonably accurate sub sonic load for about 10 different guns ranging from 5.56 nato to 30-06. I hope they develope good expanding pills for other calibers besides 5.56 and 7.62.

Thanks, I will be doing my own handloads, will get dies when I get the rifle, going to start with a bolt gun to keep it simpler, then will look at uppers.

Back