Favorite calling sequence!!!

Pretty much impossible to answer! What works today may not work tomorrow? Sequences change...if not? Best start! Regards, Drop

LOL.... I asked this question on our facebook group and got about the same response. I honestly believe it has to do more with guys not wanting to give away their trade secrets... they put a lot of time and energy into learning this skill and I think they don't like just handing it out!!

I've put down more coyotes than I can remember and still doing fine, so I'm not too concerned about "trade secrets"... though in some ways... the guys are right. It depends on a number of variables that make it difficult to just lay it out... but I'll try.

For this time of year... if you have lots of food sources for your coyotes... and the temperature is not yet down... then they are less apt to come into prey distress. Why... because they may already be well fed. Plus... it's the most common sound other guys use to try to get coyotes to come in.. especially those that don't have a lot of experience. So.... knowing this, I generally start out my sets this time of year in these circumstances using a lone coyote interrogation howl... either male or female. I listen for responses. I use a lone howl because sometimes group howls will make a single coyote in the area nervous... and less likely to come in.

If I got a response from the interrogation... and they are at a distance... I generally follow up with cottontail or jackrabbit distress... Run for a minute... stop for 2 or 3... run... stop. If I don't have any takers by about the 10 minute mark... I switch over to a single coyote challenge barks... I run it for less than a minute. Then I wait about 30 seconds to a minute and hit fox distress. I run this about a minute... go 2 or 3 of silence.. and hit it again. I don't run this more than a couple times.

Generally, .. I've got recalcitrant coyotes curiosity... IF I spot a coyote or coyotes coming in... I'll wait in silence. If they check up... I'll hit vole squeaks fairly quietly.... but I'll increase the volume until I see them head swivel or move towards my call.

Each season works a little different. In the winter... when the temp drops... coyotes caloric needs increase dramatically, and game is less available. Using cottontail distress tends to work good, as well as jackrabbit (even if you live in an area with no jackrabbits). My sequences tend to revolve around distress sounds primarily so no need to go into that.

During mating season... Mid-late Jan through Feb.... female howls and whimpers tend to work well... and if it's still cold, rabbit distress also keeps them coming in, at least in my neck of the woods.

Late Spring/Summer.... I typically will start out with a female coyote interrogation, followed by single female challenge barks... followed by pup distress. This tends to give me the best results.

Some guys like the bird distress... and I'll break things up occasionally with woodpecker, etc... and I also do vary up my sequences depending on where I'm hunting, if I've been there before, etc, but I don't have the time to lay out every possible option that might present itself in the field.

The cool thing about coyote hunting is that it is a little like a game of chess... I try a number of things and sometimes I'm on a stand longer than the average joe, either because I got a response from my interrogation that is a long ways off... and I'm unable/willing to close the distance, or because I'm checking various sequences to check their effectiveness.

Last thing I'd mention. Call Volume.... I always start quiet... and increase volume during the first few minutes (with the exception of interrogation howls and challenge barks... I keep those loud). And... when I'm running any kind of distress... I manually increase and decrease the volume on my call (up for a 4-10 seconds... down for 4-10 seconds)... as it creates a more realistic sound than just running it a flat 35.... or flat 25 volume setting.. .etc. If the wind is strong... I don't worry about fluctuating the volume.. the wind takes care of that for me.

That's about it for me... Each area will give you different challenges, but there's some generals that seem to work consistently from year to year out here in Idaho.

Good luck man.

Last edited:
Oh... and here's a link to a video that I did using the technique of Lone interrogation.... rabbit distress for about 10... lone challenge bark... fox distress and the vole squeaks. Wish I would have DRT that first coyote as I was thinking it was going to be a double stand.... but that's how it goes sometimes!! Ended up having to anchor the first... or risk loosing him in the thick sage.

My sequence is about 15-20 seconds of sound, then stay quiet and alert for 3-5 minutes, then repeat, as long as I am on stand.

Most of the time, I get action on the 2nd sequence, with a bit less action on the 3rd, and even less on the first.

This has worked for me for over 20 years, using hand calls.

I have hunted with guys that switch on the call and let it run the entire time on stand and we did well.

JMO,

I would recommend getting the book "The Predator Hunter's Playbook" calling sequences for success by forum member Andrew L. Lewand. I recently purchased this book and have used sequences in his book with success out of the box. If you look in the forum Hunting in the east you will see many post and pictures taken by Andrew. This guy is the real deal and he knows his stuff. I hope this helps you as it has helped me!!!!

Jim Smith

It amazes me how one night one sounds seems to pull every fox in the county then the next night it's some kind of Fox distress sound that seems to do better. I think it has more to do with timing than anything.

My sequence changes all the time.....I find something that works great this week, and tomorrow, it may not work at all....when things quit working in a few stands, I start scrambling to make a different sequence to see what does work....changes all the time.....breeding season to late summer, I do a lot of howling.....fall/winter is more distress....Ill start howling again in Jan/Feb. Distress starts in October-Jan. All kinds of distress sounds during those times.

I've been using the same sequence for almost 20 years now.

I start out with jackrabbit. Let it play for about five minutes. Then, I play jackrabbit for about five more minutes. Then, I decide whether to keep the stand going or walk back to the truck. If I decide to keep the stand going, I play jackrabbit for another five minutes. Then I walk back to the truck.

Sometimes I mix it up with some different jackrabbit sounds than the one I usually use. But not very often. Only on days I'm feeling desperate.

For some reason, the same old sound, just keeps working. Year after year. I must be doing something wrong...

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAI've been using the same sequence for almost 20 years now.

I start out with jackrabbit. Let it play for about five minutes. Then, I play jackrabbit for about five more minutes. Then, I decide whether to keep the stand going or walk back to the truck. If I decide to keep the stand going, I play jackrabbit for another five minutes. Then I walk back to the truck.

Sometimes I mix it up with some different jackrabbit sounds than the one I usually use. But not very often. Only on days I'm feeling desperate.

For some reason, the same old sound, just keeps working. Year after year. I must be doing something wrong...

- DAA I thought you had a greatest hits sound track that was some special resistible sound.

Special irresistible jackrabbit. So special, it's not commercially viable. It has wind and other background noise in it. In one part, if you know what you are listening to, you can hear my partner Tim coughing. It has clipping. It has distortion. It wasn't recorded in 24 bit digital glory.

The quality is just nowhere near good enough for Foxpro to offer commercially.

I just took the most emotional sounding parts from five or six different jackrabbits I had recorded, and ignored the defects that made them not good enough for commercial use, and spliced them together in a 2:45 loop (that I call Greatest Hits). Been using it for more than 15 years now on every stand I make.

It seems to work okay?

- DAA

Right now it's:
Male howl-med loud
Female howl-med loud
Coyote fight- loud
works really well right now,
It will change up to:
Male howl
female eustress/ whimper
puppy screams

DAA,
Maybe you should consider using jackrabbit! Haha. The night before my first time out I convinced myself that rabbit distress hand call was not going to work for me, so I found a pocket miniature cassette player and recorded sounds from the tiny little iPad speaker. Thinking back, that might've been the only thing that was done right that day. Haha. It sure Is fun learning this sport.

Back