Hearing protection act

kdm1986

I realize everything just happened a few hours ago but now with a republican controlled house and senate what does everyone think the odds are of the HPA moving forward? I would hope it gains in popularity and am going to contact my representatives about trying to move it forward and urge those that agree with it to do the same.

With the favorable comments made by Don Jr., I would think the next year would be the time to get this passed. Just reversing the negative effects of the Obama executive orders will be a step in the right direction.

I would love to be a part of it, any info, pertaining to the use of suppressors in the field hunting, filming, shooting, especially regarding the lifestyle we live as Ranchers, we can give lots of helpful and insightful testimony based on facts that we have experienced.

Silencerco has it right, I don't think it'll be long before something is initiated.

sendit223 I wonder if I'll get a rebate back for my stamps that are in flight right now? Sendit [/quote said:
The way I understand it is if you filed and paid after October 22 2015 and the SHA gets passed, they have to refund your $200 for ever suppressor you filed after Oct 22 2015.

Send me my Money
wink.gif

Lets all hope...

Personally I could care less about the 200.00, (not with my nose in the air) it's the ATF BS wait time and BS fingerprints, photos etc. etc. that I would love to see GONE. If we could get these as easy as an over the counter transaction like a 4473, I would be ecstatic.

I would LOVE to have a suppressor. Being able to hunt closer to the cattle would be awesome. Turns out those shipped in Georgia cattle are a bit jumpy and the day goes downhill FAST from there! The money has been rat holed away for a long while now to get the ones I want. Actually went to go get the ball rolling when the shop owner told me about the HPA so I decided to hold off. I'd rather not go through all the red tape bull if at all possible. I figured some of you would have a better insight cuz I saw on one web page that there were only 70some representatives supporting it.

kdm1986 - I am doing the exact same thing as you. Waiting to see what happens. Today there are 78 representatives that are "co-sponsoring" HR 3799 The Hearing Protection Act. So there are 78 congressmen who have joined the original sponsor (Matt Salmon of AZ). While that seems like a good number (& it really is) the reality is that a bill can have only one sponsor and with a majority vote become law. While another bill could have a 100 co-sponsors and not become law because the majority doesn't vote it in. There are likely many more congressmen who would support the bill; they just havent signed up at this time to co-sponsor the bill.

I have read a couple of articles that says this could become law within 60-90 days of inauguration. So maybe as soon as April. The great benefit is that this bill is already on the books and then will need to be introduced in the early session in 2017. Keeping the fingers crossed!!!

Here is a link that shows which congressmen have signed on as co-sponsors.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/3799/all-info

I just messaged our Congressman to ask if he would be a cosponsor as well. While I don't have a suppressor yet, I sure would like to. If this bill passes it would make the process alot easier and remove the headache.

My rep was an original co-sponsor, but it can't hurt to let him know we'd like to see him make another run at it, so I just emailed him.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMaybe a dumb question but if a law was passed, would the cost of a suppressor go down as well?

Of course, 200.00 across the board cheaper.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: pyscodogMaybe a dumb question but if a law was passed, would the cost of a suppressor go down as well?

Of course, 200.00 across the board cheaper.

I think they would come down at some point. Just due to the time and paperwork that must be involved to make them and transfer to dealers. Less regulation should always equal a lower cost of doing business. Also the sheer volume increase should bring the price point down.

Of course that's just my speculation without having any real knowledge of what companies go through currently in this market.

Back