zeroing your night vision scopes

MCary

If your new to night vision scopes or find it challenging to see a target at night, this is what I do.

For a digital scope, in my case the Photon XT 4.6, I put a cross in reflective tape on a target. The illuminator or even your headlights really lights it up at 100 yards. I use 1" reflective tape that can be found in the bicycle department of most department stores. Since most NV scopes have 1 moa clicks, 1" is fine for me. But it can be trimmed down. I assume this would work for any scope with an illuminator.

For thermal, I use a hand warmer as a target with my 38A. I originally put a hole in a target and put the hand warmer behind it. It warmed the entire target giving a warm circle to target, which was kind of cool and worked great. But it was unnecessary. Just stapling a hand warmer on a piece of white background to show your bullet holes works fine.

Anyway, that's what works for me. In my case, I also put two hand warmers on a board stapled the distance from a coyotes shoulder to his feet at 100 yards and 200 yards. I then counted the marks on my crosshairs from the center of the crosshairs (top handwarmer) both at 1.5x and 6x to the bottom handwarmer. This serves as a rangefinder. This was a result of a little oops the other night with my first outing with the thermal. I shot at a coyote, forgetting I was full zoom, and I think he was too far away. He was definitely in range, but I shot center crosshair and I think I needed some hold over. Oh well, lesson learned. I should have tried to bring him in closer. Or, there was another about 800 yards behind him hard charging and coming in. Maybe wait for that one.

On the bright side, my buddy didn't see him and when I shot it scared the crap out of him. Man in orbit!

Mike

Last edited:
On the thermal, you can do the reverse and instead of using a handwarmer, just put an ice cube in a small plastic bag and staple it to the target. The target size will be whatever size you make the bag as the ice will cool the entire bag. It is sort of fun to watch the results when you hit that ice cube dead center.

Guys,

I know that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Photon a day and night scope? Just shoot your rifle at the target in the daytime.

I used ice, hand warmers and aluminum tape. Each work well, but currently I have set up that stays in the back of the truck. I built a frame from 2x4s, used paracord to suspend a big lug nut from the top cross piece. Just hit it with a lighter real quick and it gives a better pinpoint bullseye that the handwarmer or ice. Also, I can keep shooting at it without having to replace it unless the string is cut. I keep a roll of freezer paper in the truck and stick it to the frame with tacks, actually reflective tacks that I can use to do the same thing when zeroing the NV scope. I'm on the road a good bit so its just something I can easily keep in the truck and pop up real quick to check a scope no matter where I'm at.

I have a few 3/8" & 1/2" AR500 targets hanging around the farm. i will usually use the 12" or the 13"x30" to zero or check zero on the thermals. I keep a small propane torch in the truck just for this. Put the heat in the center of the target for about 1 minute and it will be hot enough for a couple hours of shooting.
Never messed with NV [beeep].

Back