Which small caliber centerfire suppressor?

mully

Thinking about a suppressor for .172 and .224 caliber centerfires, any suggestions? Will be used for predator hunting, no mag dumps. I don't shoot larger calibers.

I have an HTG Aris that use on my .17 Remington as well as my .22 centerfires. Makes my gun more quiet than a .22 rimfire. I love it for ground squirrels and prairie dogs as they do not run for their holes after you fire a few rounds. Plus is sure is nice not to have to wear muffs or ear plugs all day long too.

Originally Posted By: mullyThinking about a suppressor for .172 and .224 caliber centerfires, any suggestions? Will be used for predator hunting, no mag dumps. I don't shoot larger calibers.

They won't be the cheapest but I'd consider them the best, that being a Thunder Beast Arms Company Ultra 7. They make a specific .223 Ultra 7 suppressor and it would be the quietest but I'd seriously consider going with their Ultra 7 for a 6.5 as it will give you considerably more versatility to use on more rifles but if you're certain you'll never use it on anything larger than .224 the TBAC 223 Ultra 7 is what I'd get.

I just got my old version sas sentinel out of purgatory and love it. Makes my ar-15 nice and quiet. Give mile high shooting out of Colorado a call as they have everything sas at a deep discount.

Originally Posted By: mullyThanks for the suggestions. Is a .224 suppressor really quieter than a can made for larger dia. rounds?

Depends... Some say the additional length that's usually acquired with larger cal suppressors is just as good as having a tighter bore/baffle tolerance.
Personally I think caliber specific is better, IF it wasn't why would manufacturers even make caliber specific cans, and not one to work equally well for every caliber?
Looking for a designated .224 caliber can, designed by a team of hunters... Check out the link below, PM me with questions if needed.
http://srtarms.com/vapr-suppressors/

I like my SilencerCo Omega. It's modular and you can get a flat .223 end cap for it so it's only around 6". You can sell off the .30 cal mounts you get with it to recoup some money making it even cheaper.

Originally Posted By: mullyAnyone have experience with Lane Silencers Scorpion 556?

I have one in titanium. When the MN law passed. I spoke with a gunsmith about threading 2 riffles and he said to give Corey a call. I have spoke to him many times and is always willing to answer questions. Since there was no place to go try anything out and so I went off of the gunsmiths advice. I am very happy with it. I run it on a 243,223 and a couple 22lr's

Well my 22 specific centerfire can experience is limited to the three cans I own at this time, two of which are the VAPR by SRT arms, the other is a SAS sentinel. Both are excellent cans but to me and my buds, the VAPR sounds more pleasing and accuracy is fantastic.

I wil shoot a 22-250 with our 223 6.5 and 30 cal line in a day or so weather allowing. I will use a B&K 2209 sound meter that just came back from being calibrated/certified (we do it yearly).

That will be useful. Eight months in on a U7 6.5 (two more to go?), but I'll be interested in that just the same.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: mullyThe VAPR would be a nice can, but the price- wow.

Kill 20 Coyotes and you got her paid for
wink.gif
I'll be calibrating it on a few for ya!

Kill 20 Coyotes and you got her paid for
wink.gif
I'll be calibrating it on a few for ya! [/quote]

Not Iowa coyotes! Does a suppressor reduce muzzle jump like a brake does?

Originally Posted By: mully
Not Iowa coyotes! Does a suppressor reduce muzzle jump like a brake does?

Not as much as a brake, but hunting with brakes and ear protection isn't very fun. A suppressor is worth every penny.

Keep the small caliber suggestions coming! This will have to have 1/2-28 threads I believe cause my LVSF's have light barrels.

VAPR is worth every penny. My hunting partner has a Liberty can that works great but the tone is different. Stick with cal specific. Gives you another reason to get more suppressors.

Back