You know it's sharp when...

GC

You know it's sharp when you can hold the knife about 1/4" above the skin on your forearm and glide the blade across the hairs on your arm not touching skin and slice the hairs off cleanly like a sharp scythe swung hard through wheat stems. The things that make a knife guy grin...

Originally Posted By: GCYou know it's sharp when..
wify shaves her legs with it
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: GCYou know it's sharp when..
wify shaves her legs with it
lol.gif
lol.gif

LOL... Recommend it at your own risk!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCYou know it's sharp when you can hold the knife about 1/4" above the skin on your forearm and glide the blade across the hairs on your arm not touching skin and slice the hairs off cleanly like a sharp scythe swung hard through wheat stems. The things that make a knife guy grin...

You Bet!

I have to put blue painters masking tape on the blades of mine to keep them from cutting through the sheath!

I am not a knife guy, but I hunt and fish what is needed to have shaving sharp fillet and skinning,gutting and caping blades. I have Kershaw,Cold Steel and various brands of fillet knifes.

You know it's sharp when you can take either an ordinary paper towel or a piece of toilet paper and cut it cleanly. I have had blades that would easily shave hair that would not cut a paper towel or toilet paper without it bunching up in front of the blade.

when you sharpen all your Daughters knives and a few days later she calls and yells at you for not telling her you sharpened them and she cuts herself happens every Christmas.

Originally Posted By: GCCleanly push cutting toilet paper requires an extremely sharp edge.

this is the holy grail of sharpness..

hope the link works... this is quite the concept takes out a lot of human error of not maintaining correct angle while sharpening...

It worked!

So make a system like that to keep an angle, and holder flat. Was he using one of those arkansas bench stones aswell?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Strudy68

hope the link works... this is quite the concept takes out a lot of human error of not maintaining correct angle while sharpening...

The video says "hold the knife flat and stroke the blade up the stone." And it appears he is holding the blade flat to the stone as he moves it up the stone. That is not putting a 20* or whatever angle bevel on the blade. If the base of the jig is level, if the stone is then held at 20*, the blade must be level as it is stroked up the stone, not flat with the stone, in order to get a 20* primary bevel.

Back