calls for squirrels

The Mr. Squirrel whistle is great for locating them, gets them all torn up and squacking. That way you can know where they are and put a stalk on them.

As to calling them to you, I am not sure how successful that is in general. I do know that I had one practically run over me one time while I was using a turkey call. I had been watching a squirrel in a tree for several minutes and then began with the turkey call. The squirrel was probably 60 yards away. It left the tree in a hurry, and ran on the ground fast to get to me. I basically kicked it off with my foot.

I have heard others mention using a turkey call for squirrels too, but I have a feeling that it isn't always a sure thing. I am not aware that squirrels can be called with any consistency. If they can be then I would like to hear too.

An old friend of mine said he use to put out a couple handfuls of corn about 50 yards away and he would sit on a stone wall and take a quarter and slide the quarter around on the stone. He swears he could call every squirrel around using this method although I have never tried it there isn't many stone walls in my area and he lived up in New York when he tried this.

Originally Posted By: buddyWhere can i find a Mr. Squirrel call? Never heard of it.

Google is your friend. It's just a young squirrel distress call and several companies make squirrel distress calls. They do work well to locate squirrels - usually. Usually when squirrels hear the call they climb high in their tree and get to squawking and looking for the commotion they hear. Once in awhile their curiosity gets the best of them and they'll come closer. And, once in awhile they freeze up and hide. The bonus to a squirrel distress is that it's an excellent predator sound for fox, bobcat and coyote. The downside is the squirrels will have you spotted in a heartbeat if you continue calling. Now squirrels 100+ yards away know something is up and are on the lookout. Keep that in mind...

The rubbing of two quarters is supposed to simulate a squirrel cutting a nut, hickory, acorn or walnut. It's a feeding stimulator. At least one call company made a call to imitate the sound of a squirrel cutting mast. It's a waste of time in my experience.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: buddyWhere can i find a Mr. Squirrel call? Never heard of it.

Here's just one place of many. Ebay has them cheaper if you consider shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Haydels-SW-92-Mr-...quirrel+whistle

This video is a good quick tutorial of exactly how I have been using the call for years now. This guy demonstrates the instructions that comes with the call. There are several other videos on YouTube also that I haven't seen, so you might want check them out.

CRAZY!!!!!! I just now opened the Amazon link I posted above and that call is listed at $62. Don't know how that happened. It was cheap before. Don't pay that price for it.

i think quite possibly the most deadly call sound you can use for squirrels is this - i know for [beeep] sure it brings them running every day during deer season where i hunt back in the woods.

models can be had from $20 on up depending on the brand you choose
grin.gif
grin.gif

Squeeking on the back of your hand works good for fox sqirrel's,especially if they are hidden in a tree cutting-they will come right out.95% of the gray squirrel's will run...don't know why.If rubbing quarters together or making feeding sounds worked,wouldn't they all be congregated in one spot?

Originally Posted By: JimH making feeding sounds worked,wouldn't they all be congregated in one spot?

they are... at least on our property. however they konw that the sound is followed by that of corn hitting the ground - so i guess i was inaccurate and forgot to mention that its a two step method needed to call the way i suggested
grin.gif

the foxes and grey's both hang out right under the spin feeders and every morning when that baby goes off, its like a bunch of lemmings heading towards a cliff!

Originally Posted By: JimHSqueeking on the back of your hand works good for fox sqirrel's,especially if they are hidden in a tree cutting-they will come right out.95% of the gray squirrel's will run...don't know why.If rubbing quarters together or making feeding sounds worked,wouldn't they all be congregated in one spot?

In a big woods setting there are squirrels scattered all across the landscape. I hunt timber areas that run into the tens of thousands of acres and it is considered an oak/hickory mix. Food for a squirrel is everywhere and trying to call a squirrel based on a food source is impractical. On a good year there are squirrels all over the place running through the limbs and cutting nuts about everywhere you look.

I guess if a guy was limited to tiny wood lots with only a few mast producing trees the quarter trick might attract squirrels. Honestly I still don't see the need because in that scenario the squirrels are going to come to the mast producing tree anyway. They have to if the want to eat. Taking a seat near one of those trees is the ticket. Sit tight and pick the squawks off as they come to the tree.

Back