1st shot poi

whispig

Please help... My first shot with 300 bo is usually 3-4 inches high and 2-3 inches right. The next ones are dead on... not the person behind the trigger either... I have missed 2 deer with the same set up with set up with my first shot, only to hit right where I'm aiming on second shot... distance to target 100 yards... on the deer one was 70 yards the other was about 40 yards. ideas?

tell us more about the gun

who makes the upper/barrel
barrel profile & length
is this with one specific load? or several?
handloads or factory?

I've witnessed this before with a "keyhole" baffle system where the baffles in the stack were not staggered, first round was always off 3/4 to 1" then the rest were in the same hole, kind of defeats the purpose of precision.
I'm assuming since you posted this in the Suppressed forum you are running a can, but I'll ask since you didn't mention above... Are you running a can? and if so does your platform shoot bugknots without it?

Yah, need more info.
My 16" 1:7 BO wo/can does similar with 110 & 130 gr handload supersonics, but nothing else it shoots.

Thank you all for such a quick response.
16 inch cmmg barrel 1:7 with a locally made upper and matched lower mil spec. WMD nickle boron BCG. Omega can with direct thread and muzzle brake on end. FCG is cmmg(i think- pretty sure)
hand loads with 125 grain speer tnt behind 16 grains aa no 9 oal is 2.105. CCI br4

oh.. profile of barrel is ss normal- meaning not hb. with .750 gas port. it does have an adjustable gas block... never messed with it. all shots have been at 100 yards for targets... animals at various distances. do not think i have shot wo suppressor- had a YH Phantom on it before the Omega... same thing. 1st shot high right. after 1st shot... its all good. dead on. any ideas thoughts would be much appreciated- regards- whislpig

i would suggest getting ahold of a chrono and running a string of loads through that, including that first round cold-bore shot.

Originally Posted By: whispigI have missed 2 deer with the same set up with set up with my first shot......

... on the deer one was 70 yards the other was about 40 yards. ideas?

I'm still trying to figure out how a 3" poi shift would cause a miss on an animal with about a 6" kill zone and even bigger 8 ring at less than 100 yrds. Unless you were taking head shots.

Sorry, can't help with the gun.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: whispigI have missed 2 deer with the same set up with set up with my first shot......

... on the deer one was 70 yards the other was about 40 yards. ideas?

I'm still trying to figure out how a 3" poi shift would cause a miss on an animal with about a 6" kill zone and even bigger 8 ring at less than 100 yrds. Unless you were taking head shots.

Sorry, can't help with the gun.

Was wondering the same thing myself. Especially at 40 yards.

Guilty... 40 yards was a head shot... she wouldn't stop looking at me... second one planted her. thanks for the ideas... will see if I can run some numbers through chrono. may take me a bit to get back to yall on this one. thanks again for all the suggestions. this forum is awesome for the knowledge base.

Two observations:

(1) cold bore shift (CBS) is real. It is a simple exercise to determine if you actually have it on that rig. Figure that out (sounds like you may have) and deal with it. By deal with it I mean verify it, get comfortable with it, and adjust for it.

(2) missing an entire deer at 70 yards is obviously not caused by the potential CBS you described. I noticed you said "the 40 yard miss was a head shot". What about the other one? Missing a deer sounds like operator error, i.e., jerking the trigger. It happens. Stop doing it. There are many drills to get over that problem.

Good luck to you.

Sendit

Thanks sendit... will try some other things first. I was wondering if the baffles may be loose and first round seats them? any thoughts on that? And may I again say thank you for all the information. You guys are awesome.
whislpig

Thanks Bob, I had thought of doing that as well. Will trouble shoot... so to speak when I can get back to range. Have a hog hunt coming up... and it really bothers me. Thanks for all of the ideas and feedback, as I said before yall are an awesome bunch. Heck of a lot of knowledge here.
whislpig

Back