Squirrel hunting in the rain?

King_Catfish

Tomorrow is my last Saturday before the semester begins. I was really looking forward to doing some squirrel hunting. Would any of you bother to go in the rain? Is it a waste of time?

If it was my last opportunity to hunting for awhile, I'd go no matter how much it was raining. Just for the excuse to get out. Go anyway.

I'm definitely leaning that way. I want to go regardless. Do you think I'll see any squirrels? I've never gone in the rain.

I have comfortable rain gear, and it won't be very cold (40 degrees or so).

well back when i was 11 or so i had a single shot rem that my papaw had when he was a kid and it was raining but i went anyway i killed 5 in like a hour or so with iron sights
thats just my $0.02

I'm glad I took your collective advice. I got two squirrels and had a nice relaxing time.

I awoke at 5:30 to find a downpour, so I went back to bed for an hour and found a light drizzle. I hunted until 11:00 in an intermittent drizzle. It was unseasonably warm with a cold front coming in fast, and the squirrels were very active.

I got one sitting and one stalking (that puts me at 14 for the season). The wet leaves allowed me to get within 50 paces of an unwary squirrel that volunteered for the game bag. The one I hit sitting was about 60 paces away (used shooting sticks).

I love hunting squirrels in the rain. Hard down pours will keep them holed up unless you are in a thickly wooded area with lots of leaves still on the trees. Them little guys really get going in a light to moderate rain, and they can't here you stalking them. You are going to have to try it more often.
ZP

the only problem with me hunting fur balls in the rain is getting the lens of my scope all fogged/watered up to the point where you can't see anything, but I'm going to get me one of the bushnell elites to help resolve that problem

If you wake up to a rainy morning, should you go squirrel hunting? I find it hard to EVER have an excuse not to get into the woods; even a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work. With that said, If you wake up to a downpour.. stay home or try to wait it out. I’ve had too many experiences where heavy rains have made hunting almost impossible and in the end I return home with only a squirrel of two and completely drenched. Often times you may be better off staying at home doing something else.My full story here: http://myhuntingear.com/squirrel-hunting-rain/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: normanbakerIf you wake up to a rainy morning, should you go squirrel hunting? I find it hard to EVER have an excuse not to get into the woods; even a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work. With that said, If you wake up to a downpour.. stay home or try to wait it out. I’ve had too many experiences where heavy rains have made hunting almost impossible and in the end I return home with only a squirrel of two and completely drenched. Often times you may be better off staying at home doing something else.My full story here: http://myhuntingear.com/squirrel-hunting-rain/

Welcome to PM normanbaker! Nice read on hunting in the rain. Thanks for sharing.

Back