Hunting subsonic

DJ_Mack

What bullet do you guys use? What animals? And are you shooting vitals or head shots? Thanks fellas.

Looking to reload for subsonic.

Last edited:
I've got a Ruger ranch rifle in 300blk that I would like to hunt coyotes and deer with, just started testing some Makers 180gr bullets,getting 1 3/4" groups at 100 yrds and 3/4" at 50 yrds.
The 200gr + expanding bullets don't group well for most and at $1.00 ea I'm not going to try to make them work.

Originally Posted By: gary paughI've got a Ruger ranch rifle in 300blk that I would like to hunt coyotes and deer with, just started testing some Makers 180gr bullets,getting 1 3/4" groups at 100 yrds and 3/4" at 50 yrds.
The 200gr + expanding bullets don't group well for most and at $1.00 ea I'm not going to try to make them work.

Can you expand you thoughts? I was about to order some to try.

I have been playing with the 208Amax out of a suppressed BO (1-7" twist boltgun) & they have shot very good. Groups at 100 yards have all been under 3/4" with some very impressive (didn't think subs where supposed to shoot this good). I've shot a few crows & other targets of opportunity, but have found (on small stuff anyway) it's just a pencils through. Looking for something to expand before deer season (got to try it at least a few times) but the 208 sure is fun (and reasonable priced) for playing around.

Thanks for your replies. The 208 A max is what I have but they discontinued making it. So now I am left with finding another bullet to reload with.

Originally Posted By: DJ_MackThanks for your replies. The 208 A max is what I have but they discontinued making it. So now I am left with finding another bullet to reload with.

the new 208 gr ELD-M is the exact same bullet with the fancy new tip on it. otherwise no change in construction. thats why they published new data for the ELD-X and not the ELD-M bullets when they were released.

straight from hornady

5a8ad2a858024f1a9065932a472413a5.jpeg

hth!

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: DJ_MackThanks for your replies. The 208 A max is what I have but they discontinued making it. So now I am left with finding another bullet to reload with.

the new 208 gr ELD-M is the exact same bullet with the fancy new tip on it. otherwise no change in construction. thats why they published new data for the ELD-X and not the ELD-M bullets when they were released.

straight from hornady

5a8ad2a858024f1a9065932a472413a5.jpeg

hth!

This is great to know thanks. I was wondering why I couldn't find any load data. Good looking out!

I have a few hundred of the Sierra 220gn Round Nose bullets to try on soft targets. I figure that even if they don't expand, they have a much larger meplate for energy transfer than the pointy SMK & Amax. As they are a soft lead round nosed hunting bullet, they stand a better chance of a little upset than the thicker jacketed match bullets.

Had to send my RAR back to Ruger for ejector work, so I will be starting load development soon.

Shot a coyote this winter in the chest at 15 yards with the 208 Amax and it ran for MILES. Followed it and never did get it killed. I think it just penciled through and didn't cause any shock or enough bleeding to kill it. I won't do it again, sticking to the shotgun personally.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeLeigh I think it is makes bullets designed to perform at subsonic speeds.

and maker bullets has a couple designs they're tweaking right now as well. those things are WICKED looking when they expand

watch for these to come in stock as well

http://www.blackoutbullets.com/

outlaw state bullets also offers an expanding option for subsonic use as well - including a 150gr offering that expands down to 850 FPS

http://outlawstatebullets.com/2.html

Shot the 220gn round nose the other day. Pushed by 9.6gns of LIL Gun, 3 rounds grouped 0.19" at 50yds off of a bipod and rear bag. I do not have chrono data yet, but will update when I do. They seem to be right on the edge of subsonic. Not quite as quiet as the Silencerco 220 smk sub load, but plenty quiet. For the accuracy they are producing, I will happily trade that for a tiny bit of noise. Still well within the realm of hearing safe with my SAS Arbiter. These are through the Ruger Ranch 16" 7tw.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Shot the 220gn round nose the other day. Pushed by 9.6gns of LIL Gun, 3 rounds grouped 0.19" at 50yds off of a bipod and rear bag. I do not have chrono data yet, but will update when I do. They seem to be right on the edge of subsonic. Not quite as quiet as the Silencerco 220 smk sub load, but plenty quiet. For the accuracy they are producing, I will happily trade that for a tiny bit of noise. Still well within the realm of hearing safe with my SAS Arbiter. These are through the Ruger Ranch 16" 7tw.

Good to know and thanks for sharing. Let us know how that chrono data turns out.

Originally Posted By: DJ_Mack Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Shot the 220gn round nose the other day. Pushed by 9.6gns of LIL Gun, 3 rounds grouped 0.19" at 50yds off of a bipod and rear bag. I do not have chrono data yet, but will update when I do. They seem to be right on the edge of subsonic. Not quite as quiet as the Silencerco 220 smk sub load, but plenty quiet. For the accuracy they are producing, I will happily trade that for a tiny bit of noise. Still well within the realm of hearing safe with my SAS Arbiter. These are through the Ruger Ranch 16" 7tw.

Good to know and thanks for sharing. Let us know how that chrono data turns out.

208 amax shot a 3rnd group at .08" under the same conditions with the same powder charge. I just don't like the amax for a hunting bullet at these speeds due to pen culling through w/o good energy transfer. The 208 amax load was louder than the 220's as well.

Last edited:
Back