How far from vehicle?

DAA's answer is spot on. I have never met the guy but after reading many of his posts, I think that if a person did nothing else on this site except read and study what DAA writes you would easily double your success.

Originally Posted By: jcs271DAA's answer is spot on. I have never met the guy but after reading many of his posts, I think that if a person did nothing else on this site except read and study what DAA writes you would easily double your success.

I think a lot of us would agree with that statement.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: jcs271DAA's answer is spot on. I have never met the guy but after reading many of his posts, I think that if a person did nothing else on this site except read and study what DAA writes you would easily double your success.

I think a lot of us would agree with that statement.
thumbup1.gif

think maybe i have even said that before. if not, i meant to. the guy knows his stuff on a lot of stuff.
thumbup1.gif

We hunted almost exclusively in Mexico, remote Baja North, and Sonora.

I would only dare to think of how many coyotes we had killed out of the back of the pick up. Of course, in Az and Ca we walked out to make stands. It is only normal to think that you have to walk a long ways away from the truck, but it just is not so.

When hunting with a 4 man team in Az, we would drop off two guys and drive down the road 2 miles then step outside the truck say no more than 50 yards, set the caller down, and get ready to shoot. We were hunting in flat dessert with scattered Greese wood bushes only, not much cover.

We had an earth tone pick up, and coyotes would come in, stop and stare or start circling down wind.
60% of the coyotes you kill are yearlings, which explains some of the success.

By just setting the caller within 50 yards of the truck, you can time your stand, return and pick up two guys that you had dropped off, then leap frog forward and keep repeating, all day long till you want to drive to another area. The more stands you make, the higher your success rate.

When you find the barometric pressure dropping, leading edge of a low pressure front, you hunt, hunt, hunt.

WE hung two socks that each sock had two cans of sardines packed in oil in them, and misted the air with rabbit urine to test the wind direction, face masks, gloves. It usually took 46-52 animals to win the hunt. Our worst weekend was 13 animals, average was 32, and all time best was 56, all in Mexico. You would not dare go down there now. Most of my competitors have all passed on now, I think that Leonard B. is still around.

In Az, sardines is considered Bait, and it is illegal. Trappers lisc in Ca. allowed you some extra privileges, check your local regulations as to what is legal in your area. I am sure that shooting out of the back of the pick up is illegal anywhere in the USA except the possibility of the Indian REservations where the Indian warden may give you a pass. Check your local regulations.

There are probably no set of guidelines that would apply to all hunting situations as states and locations vary. Also, how call wise coyotes also determine how you should hunt. Hunting in Alabama is sure different than hunting in Wyoming, for example. Part of the hunt is in selection of stand locations, making a makeshift blind, or carving a place for your stool back in a bush to hide your silhouette. In other words, setting up an ambush, judging the wind and terrain, is all part of the fun. Competition hunts demand a very different discipline. It is way more fun to hunt with friends than a competition, but you may have to get that out of your blood.

We hunted from Mexico to Montana and over to West Texas. With the right weather, moon phase(time of day), throw out some attractant, you have sound, scent, now throw in some competition from fellow predators, and animals get very excited and often never hear the gun go off or know what direction the sound came from. Expect multiples to come in, and you are ahead in the game.

Last edited:
Keith, Leonard is still around. I talk to him often. Hunted with him about four years ago.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAPretty much what Tbone and Trap said. I walk as far as I have to, but only as far as I feel like I HAVE to.

That said... For the the country I generally hunt, I feel it's counter productive to walk more than about 400 yards max. Big majority of my stands, it's less than 200 yards. But when the setup starts demanding a walk of a quarter mile, the odds are usually in favor of simply not making that stand, moving on to the next one that won't chew up as much clock.

Knowing, full well, that every situation is unique and you just have to play the cards you have in front of you, my area of operations, generally speaking, the numbers game favors quantity of stands. That is to say, I'll probably kill more coyotes by making an extra stand or two for the day, vs. putting in a lot of time (walking) to make one particular stand work.

But... All that said... I'm not really into numbers anymore. Don't give a crap, really. But my inner intellectual still balks at wasting much time on any given stand, when there is another one just up the road that won't take near the time or effort and is just as, if not more like to pay off.

- DAA

Very well explained!

Thanks again for all the info everyone. It's given me a lot to mull over and is helping me come up with some new ideas for how to attack some areas where I've been spotting coyotes.

Quote:DAA's answer is spot on. I have never met the guy but after reading many of his posts, I think that if a person did nothing else on this site except read and study what DAA writes you would easily double your success.

I'll have to peruse some of his posts. Although with over 3000 of them now I guess I've got some serious reading to do!
thumbup.gif

There was a post about using 4 wheelers and saying they make to much noise. I'm not sure what they are running but I use my Polaris a lot for Coyote hunting. I like it because you can hide it in spots were a bigger vehicle can't. I ride it as close to the spots I'm going to call from as I can.
If I am in new country going down the road and I see a spot but am not sure it is worth calling because of the lay of the land I will ease whatever I am driving up over the top just enough to see and if it looks good I will back down just far enough so my vehicle is hidden. If it don't look good I drive on. As I stated previously sometimes I do that and within thirty seconds of calling I have a Coyote down.

Also don't think because an occasional vehicle goes down the road while you are calling your stand is ruined. I have killed Coyotes with 4 wheelers and and Trucks going down the road and being no more than a hundred yards off the road.

Coyotes aren't mythical creatures so don't over think this stuff.

Originally Posted By: TrapShooter12There was a post about using 4 wheelers and saying they make to much noise. I'm not sure what they are running but I use my Polaris a lot for Coyote hunting. I like it because you can hide it in spots were a bigger vehicle can't. I ride it as close to the spots I'm going to call from as I can.
If I am in new country going down the road and I see a spot but am not sure it is worth calling because of the lay of the land I will ease whatever I am driving up over the top just enough to see and if it looks good I will back down just far enough so my vehicle is hidden. If it don't look good I drive on. As I stated previously sometimes I do that and within thirty seconds of calling I have a Coyote down.

Also don't think because an occasional vehicle goes down the road while you are calling your stand is ruined. I have killed Coyotes with 4 wheelers and and Trucks going down the road and being no more than a hundred yards off the road.

Exactly. On all of it.

Had lots of times we've had trucks or motorcycles ride right through our stand but we'd sit tight, let the dust clear and keep calling...and had animals come running in. Happens a lot. Animals in certain areas are used to seeing trucks and bikes...usually doesn't seem to bother them unless the truck stops. It's like seeing a crow on the side of the road, they'll sit still as long as you're moving but as soon as you stop they take off.

I hunt mostly desert area. For years I've been bringing my little motorcycle with me, stock XR100...super quiet and small, doesn't take up much room in the bed of my truck. For the fall and early winter months it's great. I'll sling a rifle or shotgun along with a small pack, park my truck and use the bike to make stands. I'll park it right along side me or within 10 yards when I make a stand. If the lay of the land is kinda flat or not much cover I'll sometimes shut off the gas and just lay it on it's side. I probably make twice as many stands as I do in my truck since there's no walking back and forth. It also allows me to travel areas that would be tough and slow go in my truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TrapShooter12I park as close as I can that they can't see it.

I have parked walked twenty feet sat down and called one in within thirty seconds.

I walk only as far as I have to.

Same here!

Originally Posted By: tawnoperOriginally Posted By: TrapShooter12There was a post about using 4 wheelers and saying they make to much noise. I'm not sure what they are running but I use my Polaris a lot for Coyote hunting. I like it because you can hide it in spots were a bigger vehicle can't. I ride it as close to the spots I'm going to call from as I can.

Exactly. On all of it.

Had lots of times we've had trucks or motorcycles ride right through our stand but we'd sit tight, let the dust clear and keep calling...and had animals come running in. Happens a lot. Animals in certain areas are used to seeing trucks and bikes...usually doesn't seem to bother them unless the truck stops. It's like seeing a crow on the side of the road, they'll sit still as long as you're moving but as soon as you stop they take off.

I hunt mostly desert area. For years I've been bringing my little motorcycle with me, stock XR100...super quiet and small, doesn't take up much room in the bed of my truck. For the fall and early winter months it's great. I'll sling a rifle or shotgun along with a small pack, park my truck and use the bike to make stands. I'll park it right along side me or within 10 yards when I make a stand. If the lay of the land is kinda flat or not much cover I'll sometimes shut off the gas and just lay it on it's side. I probably make twice as many stands as I do in my truck since there's no walking back and forth. It also allows me to travel areas that would be tough and slow go in my truck.

That's awesome news. Below is my Xterra with a hitch mount carrier and my camp bike KLX140L (also small and really quiet.) It is super quick to pop on/off the carrier since it doesn't use straps or a trailer. Now that I know that you guys are having success, I'm going to try that same thing and sling the rifle over my back, put the gear in my pack on the bike, and zip around to some calling spots and see what happens!

xterra.jpg

The Coyote on the front of my four wheeler was killed during the great Fernley flood. Less than a mile away there was a rescue Helicopter flying and a ton of Emergency Vehicles trying to figure out how to save a couple hundred homes.

I parked my four wheeler behind a rise just tall enough to hide it and walked maybe fifty feet from it and about three minutes in this Coyote showed up.

It all depends on the set. I have set up in areas where I could conceal my vehicle and I walked about 40 yards. Other times i have had to walk a ways. I have also found that in areas where coyotes are used to vehicles and noise you can get away with more. Often these types of areas are over looked by other hunters.

Like most here , what ever the situation calls for. Sometimes just a few yards from the truck mostly just a walk to the nearest ideal stand.

I do enjoy making large loops(a number of miles) through remote areas, skin them where I take them and keep going making stands every 1/2-1 mile. It is a very relaxing day of hunting and as I'm packing the drilling or combo gun will take some game for the pot also.

Originally Posted By: WeaselCircusWhen hunting coyotes how far from your vehicle (truck, ATV) do you generally hike in to your stands? I don't mind a walk, just wondering what's a good rule of thumb for how far away I need to get to minimize chances of them spooking.

My first priority is to try and park my truck in a low spot with as much cover as possible and other than that I don't get too obsessed with it. Sometimes I set up less than a 100 yards from my truck. I try to get as many stands in as I can so I don't get caught up in walking a lot. I have tried that but I think I bump more out of the country than I see / call.

Back