How do you figure up casing for sausage

HT308

How do you figure up length of casing to order for sausage ? I have 10lbs or more of deer and antelope to use for my first attempt at sausage. I just don't know how much to order.

Brian

Last edited:
First off, I buy my casings locally from a small butcher shop/meat market. If you have one local I would suggest that over Internet sales.

Generally its sold by the package. There's enough casings in the packages I buy to do 25 pounds of meat. It costs me around 12 bucks.

The lengths can vary so you prep enough to get the job done. For me its still guess work. I hate to throw them away so I keep my estimates on the short side as its not hard to prep another one at the last minute if needed. I use about 3 per 5 pounds on average. That all depends on how full you stuff them too.

Depends on the sausage we are talking about.

If its summer sausage than 2 pounds a foot might be right. For a grilling sausage like brats or something of the same size its far less. The OP didn't say which he wanted to do.

I modeled my brats on the same size and length of Johnsonville brats. Those brats are just under 6 inches long and a 5 pack of them weights 1.2 pounds in the package, so that's just a tad over a pound for over 2 foot of casing. Mine ended up a little fatter and I got 19 links out of 5 pounds of meat which is about a 1/4 pound per link.

Last edited:
Back