Zeroing IR Light with Photon Night Vision

Rick223

Hey all,

I've got a Photon scope and a UNV 20-IR light (it looks exactly like a flashlight).

However the problem is, when I mount the light to a Picatinny rail on my rifle, the beam doesn't line up to the focus of the scope.

I figured there's got to be a way, maybe like some kind of piece of equipment, that I can clamp the flashlight onto the barrel and allow the light to rotate so I can aim it into focus. For example, I used to have this GPS mount for my motorcycle handlebars that would allow me to rotate the GPS with an elbow. When I found the right position, I'd twist it down tight and it wouldn't budge. Does anyone know of something similar for a rifle barrel, or better yet -- a picatinny rail? I'm open to any suggestions that don't involve duct tape
thumbup.gif

Rick, there should be a picatinny mount on the right side of the Photon. That is how I mount my light and it works fine. I use a 1" scope ring and mount my T-20 in that. The beam is adjustable. I use a high ring for the light and have found that the beam is nice and I can see very well. I don't want a full, tight beam on my target, but off to the side a bit, which gives a better view. If all the light is concentrated on your target, you may find that it is way too bright.

However, if you need an adjustable mount, here is one to consider. It attaches to a picatinny rail of some sort and you can adjust the beam where you want it. I am assuming this mount will accept your light, but you might call and ask.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/wicked-lights-w402-adjustable-windage-elevation-light-mount-only/

Hi 6mm,

Thanks a lot for the reply, I never saw that part before. The problem with the rail is my UNV-20 mount doesn't grip it correctly. I might be able to dremel it so it works properly, but if I can't, I think I can give this part a shot!

You should be able to get most any kind of cheap 1" scope mount that will work on the rail. I'm surprised the UNV one won't.

Rick, here's some photos of how my light is mounted, in just a cheap 1" ring as DoubleUp mentioned. It works fine so you might give it a try.

I use the Sniper Hawg Light Windage/elevation adjustable mount for my IR lights. If you do run the beam tight you put the beam wherever you want it and you can install/remove it in seconds with no tools needed.

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the help.

6mm, the trouble with my Photon rail is that the arms of my flashlight mount are too fat to get under the wings of the Photon's picatinny rail. If that makes sense. I can "sort of" get it to stay on there, but a little love-tap knocks it right off. I don't think is a problem with the Photon so much as the flashlight mount that came with the UNV-20.

NoName1, I think this is exactly what I was looking for. This is going to elevate the flashlight enough so it isn't blocked by the scope's fat body, and it will also let me adjust the beam into my focus. I didn't know something like this existed. I'm gonna order it today - you da' man!

Rick,

Can you switch out the illuminator ring? Might try that if possible.

I think the Photon is a good scope for the money, but seems I have having multiple problems with it in getting the POI right. I first mounted it on my bolt .308 rifle and the POI was 10" low at 60 yards, and the sighting crosshair was maxed out.

Then I switched the scope to my AR and sighted in at 60 and 94 yards. The X setting is -21 and the Y coordinate is +17, with the max adjustment being a +/- 30. I then noticed that the reticle is not centered, but rather is high and left. Seems that moving the zeroing corsshair moves the shooting reticle to the same place. It's not way up in the corner but is noticeable. I phoned Sellwayh today and was informed that is normal when mounting on some rifles. I guess it just depends on the mount / rail etc. I didn't have this problem with the 4.6x model I had earlier, but then too I mounted it on a totally different rifle, so maybe the rifle mount had something to do with it.

Now I am thinking that maybe I need a 20 MOA base AND the Burris rings that have the adjustment inserts in order to get the crosshair as closely centered as possible.

The Photon is no Gen 3, that's for sure, but it's a pretty decent scope for the money. I can see well enough to drop a hog, coyote or whatever at 100 yards and beyond, but I feel that 100 yards is not bad.

I like this scope (6.5x) better than the 4.6x one I had earlier. Sellway has learned that cutting a certain size hole in the scope cap decreases the amount of light entering, thereby giving a bit clearer focus and less wash-out from the IR illuminator. For some of you that may not know, the scope comes with a objective cap that has the proper size hole in it, as well as a little insert that fills that hole up and leaves only a pin hole. The pin hole works for daytime shooting, but when night comes you just push out the insert and the scope is good to go. The onboard illuminator is essentially worthless in my opinion unless you plan on shooting close, maybe out to 50 yards or less (for my eyes anyway), but the T-20 I have works great. The scope is rated for .308 recoil and down. It takes 30mm rings.

If I get the Burris rings, I need to have a good understanding of how to turn those inserts to bring the scope reticle more in line with the POI and keep the crosshair as centered as possible. That's on the AR, but it may not be as pronounced on my .308 since I wasn't able to zero it on that one due to the POI being way too low. Seems to me, if I remember correctly, the windage was not too far off on that one but I can't say for sure since I didn't use it that much.

Just thought I would expand on the discussion of the Photon. Hope this helps in some way.

If you can zoom in enough you can see how mine are mounted. I can get better pics later if you need them. The top is a torch pro in that SHL mount on a day scope for use with a clip-on. I don't use that one much and now That I look at I remember having to mill down the body for it to fit in the mount. It wasn't much. The other is a SHL w/55 head mounted to side of a D730, that is the one I use primarily when taking a second person or not shooting with thermal.

xd50.jpg

NoName,

What scope is that on the green-colored rifle?

UPDATE: DoubleUp just now informed me about your Pulsar XD-50A. Nice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Rick,

Can you switch out the illuminator ring? Might try that if possible.

I think the Photon is a good scope for the money, but seems I have having multiple problems with it in getting the POI right. I first mounted it on my bolt .308 rifle and the POI was 10" low at 60 yards, and the sighting crosshair was maxed out.

Then I switched the scope to my AR and sighted in at 60 and 94 yards. The X setting is -21 and the Y coordinate is +17, with the max adjustment being a +/- 30. I then noticed that the reticle is not centered, but rather is high and left. Seems that moving the zeroing corsshair moves the shooting reticle to the same place. It's not way up in the corner but is noticeable. I phoned Sellwayh today and was informed that is normal when mounting on some rifles. I guess it just depends on the mount / rail etc. I didn't have this problem with the 4.6x model I had earlier, but then too I mounted it on a totally different rifle, so maybe the rifle mount had something to do with it.

Now I am thinking that maybe I need a 20 MOA base AND the Burris rings that have the adjustment inserts in order to get the crosshair as closely centered as possible.

The Photon is no Gen 3, that's for sure, but it's a pretty decent scope for the money. I can see well enough to drop a hog, coyote or whatever at 100 yards and beyond, but I feel that 100 yards is not bad.

I like this scope (6.5x) better than the 4.6x one I had earlier. Sellway has learned that cutting a certain size hole in the scope cap decreases the amount of light entering, thereby giving a bit clearer focus and less wash-out from the IR illuminator. For some of you that may not know, the scope comes with a objective cap that has the proper size hole in it, as well as a little insert that fills that hole up and leaves only a pin hole. The pin hole works for daytime shooting, but when night comes you just push out the insert and the scope is good to go. The onboard illuminator is essentially worthless in my opinion unless you plan on shooting close, maybe out to 50 yards or less (for my eyes anyway), but the T-20 I have works great. The scope is rated for .308 recoil and down. It takes 30mm rings.

If I get the Burris rings, I need to have a good understanding of how to turn those inserts to bring the scope reticle more in line with the POI and keep the crosshair as centered as possible. That's on the AR, but it may not be as pronounced on my .308 since I wasn't able to zero it on that one due to the POI being way too low. Seems to me, if I remember correctly, the windage was not too far off on that one but I can't say for sure since I didn't use it that much.

Just thought I would expand on the discussion of the Photon. Hope this helps in some way.

I'm glad you did. I spent quite a bit of time doing research on a NV setup before I finally pulled the trigger on the Photon. I came across many of your posts and found them all to be very helpful. I came close to just going with a PVS-14 behind my EOTech, or a new Gen3 magnified scope, but ultimately for where we hunt, I think the Photon will work quite nicely.

Our problem was that we were trying to use flashlights in wide open desert. So we'd run the call, and get them in close enough to distinguish the separation of their eyes reflection, but never close enough to get a good shot on a silhouette.

I haven't had a chance to zero the Photon yet, but I will keep you posted whether I run into any POI issues. So far in the testing I've done, I've been beyond impressed with the Photon, and it's exceeded nearly every expectation I had for it. You do see a lot of negative reviews online, but part of what pushed me to buy it was seeing this video which showed me what a terrific difference having a nice IR makes. Most of the reviews I saw which were very negative did not many any clear indication whether they were using aftermarket IR, which makes a world of difference.

Originally Posted By: NoName1
xd50.jpg

Thanks - that would be incredibly helpful with my scope mount. It has picatinny rails on the top, so that bit of extra reach will be great. I already ordered the part today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6mm06
NoName,

What scope is that on the green-colored rifle?

DoubleUp just now informed me about your Pulsar XD-50A. Nice.

Thanks. I like me some Ruger American Rimfire Compacts
thumbup.gif
Top one is the 22 LR, then black and green 22 WMRs, and a Rem Mod 7 300 BO that is desperate for attention but not getting any yet.

Rick223,

We use the wicked lights full adjustable mount to zero the IR light. Here's how a couple of our shop use photon's are set up.
aimg-0066a.jpg

Photon 4.6 with Wicked A48IR & full adjustable Wicked mount
aimg-0067a.jpg

Photon 4.6 with Wicked A48IR & full adjustable Wicked mount

Our Photon 6.5 is set up a little different.
aimg-0060a.jpg

No IR light installed
aimg-0025a.jpg

Wicked lights full adjustable mount and A48IR installed on side picitinny rail of photon 6.5

Another tip is to not open the dust cover full open at night, just pop out the center section on the duct cover only (the plug is the size of a nickle). It will reduce washout at closer ranges.

Justin
APC

A.P., is there a reason you used the side mount on the 6.5x Photon vs the 4.6x model?

I have noticed the plastic picatinny rail on the side of the 6.5x is a bit difficult to get a ring to mount properly, though I have been doing that, so I am just curious why you used a different mount on each scope, or was it just purely random?

David

Hi David, The 6.5 is our sales manager's AR setup. It will mount on top like the 4.6 photo depicts. Must be a personal preference thing for him.

Justin
APC

Back