Frankford Arsenal case prep center

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onehaving to hold on to cases while trimming is part of why i dumped the possum hollow trimmer system.. it required a similar type of hold on cases while trimming as the franklin does.

it was quick, but i've got back injuries that preclude me tasks that involve repetitive hand stuff for extended periods. my hands fatigue very quickly and cramp/lock up. especially when it involves holding firmly onto small stuff like brass.

so unfortunately it even prevents me from using something like a girard as well as the franklin system.

sucks, because it looks like its a nice tool.

It is my understanding that with the Frankford unit the brass is kept from rotating by the plastic collet...you push in on it but it doesn't sound like it's able to spin like the Giraud. I just picked mine up at the post office, haven't unboxed it yet to know for sure but the videos I watched prior to ordering one showed it that way.

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog [/quote

It is my understanding that with the Frankford unit the brass is kept from rotating by the plastic collet...you push in on it but it doesn't sound like it's able to spin like the Giraud.

Yes that is correct.. You can adjust the tension of the collet also...

Well I busted the new trimmer out today. I didn't bother trying the cutter that came with the unit, enough people said it's crap to convince me so I just loaded a RCBS cutter head and went to town.

The Pros

Trimmer is inexpensive and is both a trimmer and a prep center in one which offers great value

Adjustments are easy and precise

Includes a good selection of alignment "cones" and the collets you would commonly need for most cartridges

The gearing is very low and the motor doesn't bog down yet it cuts quickly

The Cons

The collet won't close up enough to trim .17 Hornet. That being said you can still trim very accurately but you need to use finger pressure to hold the 1/4" or so of case that is left exposed. It still trimmed the brass within +- .001 and if you were to put a pilot in the cutter head I'm sure it would be even better.

The stand isn't well thought out and if you plan to drop the trimmer back in the box each time you use it the adjustment knobs need to be backed way out to clear the corner rubber pieces. Not difficult but seems odd.

The onboard storage bin is held down by a plastic lock tab, I'll be awfully surprised if that doesn't break with a little use. That won't leave the unit unable to be used it just won't be as secure when transporting.

In conclusion I'd say this trimmer is great, it does everything a trimmer should at a very modest price. It's well worth the money and if you're on the fence I'd say do it now before the price jacks, no way this is going to be $150 over the long haul. I'd be surprised if the price doesn't go up over 50% in the next couple years.

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1Well The collet won't close up enough to trim .17 Hornet.

I can tighten mine done so the 17 hornet case wont even go into the trimmer..

Originally Posted By: dan158Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1Well The collet won't close up enough to trim .17 Hornet.

Mine still has 1/16 clearance with it full tightened. Did your trimmer come with 3 plastic collets? Got a pic of the one you're using?

Originally Posted By: dan158Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1Well The collet won't close up enough to trim .17 Hornet.

my new fa was delivered saturday. the collet on mine will also close up way more than enough to hold the little hornet case.

dixiedog, did you figure out why the one you have wont? maybe you had the wrong size metal disc in it? or no disc at all?

I've had mine for a couple of months, and love it.

Previously I used tools in a power drill, and find this much simpler and very efficient.

It's my first piece of Frankford Armory equipment, but I'm very satisfied.

George

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: dan158Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1Well The collet won't close up enough to trim .17 Hornet.

my new fa was delivered saturday. the collet on mine will also close up way more than enough to hold the little hornet case.

dixiedog, did you figure out why the one you have wont? maybe you had the wrong size metal disc in it? or no disc at all?

I was using all the correct parts but the knurled knob that gets tightened down was cutting into the plastic collet stopping it from closing up any further. I pulled the collet out and hit the "corners" that were getting pinched and now it closes up fine.

The video posted gave me inspiration and I put some more effort into it. Originally I just assumed it wouldn't work like I had planned and I worked around it.

set mine up and used it for the first time today. prepped a bunch of .204 brass.

i kept thinking i should of owned one of these a long, long time ago. what a handy machine it is. does a great job too.

highly recommend.

Back