A few suppressed kills and a few questions.

12Ring

When I was a kid and my dad gave me my first gun, he told me it was good luck to get a kill with the very first shot from your new firearms. I have been lucky enough to get a Kill with every new firearm with my first shot. I was able to do the same thing this weekend with my new suppressor.

I will admit, I expected it to be a little more quiet but I believe it is due to being on a AR platform. I am hearing the violent cycle of the AR which seems to be where the majority of the noise is coming from.

I have a .243 that has been my baby for the last 20 years. It is a Remington 700. I am debating threading the barrel. It is a fairly thin barrel. It measures just over 5/8 of an inch which I am guessing is about .620. I I am wondering if it is safe to thread it 1/2X28?
It also has a front sight that I would have to take off and put a screw in, to fill the hole.

Also if I want to measure the barrel length, where do I start the measurement from in this picture?

Originally Posted By: 12RingAlso if I want to measure the barrel length, where do I start the measurement from in this picture?

I've read (www/fwiw) that: with empty chamber and bolt closed, a dowel is placed down the barrel touching the bolt face, the dowel has length marks and it is used like a ruler.
So its the closed bolt face to muzzle edge. (confirmed, measured a couple of mine)

Also considering threading my 243 A-bolt....but won't go less than 20" unless barrel diameter dictates.

Congrats on the yotes, keep after em'

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bryan hCongratulations on the yotes did you ever end up getting the flat end caps for your Omega.

I have not got around to it yet. Life has been super busy for me so shooting has taken a back seat. Now that you bring it up, I will email the guy today.

If you hold one end of the tape measure on the front edge of that little hole in the side of the action and the other at the end of the muzzle, you'll be pretty close to spot on. Usually the threads on the barrel start at the front edge of that little hole.

Originally Posted By: B23If you hold one end of the tape measure on the front edge of that little hole in the side of the action and the other at the end of the muzzle, you'll be pretty close to spot on. Usually the threads on the barrel start at the front edge of that little hole.

yes. ^^^

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: B23If you hold one end of the tape measure on the front edge of that little hole in the side of the action and the other at the end of the muzzle, you'll be pretty close to spot on. Usually the threads on the barrel start at the front edge of that little hole.

yes. ^^^

Thanks guys. It's a 22" barrel.

You don't have to remove your front sight, maybe. I did an old 10/22 by counterboring the muzzle and adding a threaded insert and protector ring. It does a great job holding the suppressor, and I still have BUIS.

You don't say which suppressor you currently have, BUT it must be a .30 cal since you're wanting to put it on your .243? If so, aren't the threads 5/8" X 24, not 1/2" x 28.

Originally Posted By: songdogYou don't say which suppressor you currently have, BUT it must be a .30 cal since you're wanting to put it on your .243? If so, aren't the threads 5/8" X 24, not 1/2" x 28.

Yes I have a Silencer co Omega. I have a 5/8x24 thread adapter and a 1/2x28. I threaded my .556 at in 1/2x28 and ordered that thread. It's a versatile can. I also have a .556 end cap on order to try out in place of the brake. It's supposed to quite it down a few db at the barrel and almost 10 db at the shooters ear.

Originally Posted By: bryan hI believe it's a Silencerco Omega and you can change out the ends for different direct threads.
Bryan is right. Hey Bryan I got a hold of that guy and he said he can get that part made for me by the end of March. I'm in no hurry so I'm going to go for it.

just as a thought - if you have someone like ADCO do the threading for you, they can move the front site for you.

they've cut/threaded a couple barrels for me already, including a sight relocation on my MKIII. they do very nice work.

not associated with them in any way other than being a happy customer.

HTH

A .243 is small enough to safely thread 1/2x28 so I would go that route. The only other threading option is to chop it back to at least .663 and have it threaded 9/16x24.

Back