won't cycle

dan158

Just took the 204 first time since was built back in 2014.. I got a cycle problem with it.. Won't eject or pick up a factory round.. 32 gr hornady ammo...I checked the gas tube alignment and all is good on that end.. Don't feel like its binding at all.. But when get back to about where it should pick up another round it seems like it gets harder to pull back because the spring is coiling up.. No lube used at all on the bcg..Could that be an issue?? Where should I start to look?? Thanks all.. Dan

Originally Posted By: dan158No lube used at all on the bcg..Could that be an issue?? Where should I start to look??

until things get broke in a little bit and smooth up, some luberication sure would not hurt anything. easy enough to try.

Yeah, I'd lube it up good and retry it. If this is a new build I'd work the action by hand a bunch of times to wear those parts in a bit before shooting it again.

Originally Posted By: Rich1You also might look the gas tube over really good for a possible split.

chances of that are the same as obama killing over with a heart attack in the next 2 hours.

"First time out", I doubt it on the carrier key loose screws, unless of course it was not assembled properly. I hear a lot of talk regarding carrier key screws backing out or getting loose and even more stuff about how to prevent such happenings....but I have yet to see it actually happen. Not saying it cannot...but in a few rounds???? Zero chance.
When you say you "checked the gas tube alignment"...how exactly??? I cannot believe some genius hasn't already posted about how much you now need an adjustable gas block...yeah, yeah...that'll fix it!!!
Simple fix, cut one coil at a time off the spring until it cycles...AFTER you apply lube to the gun. Why run it dry and wear the thing out prematurely in the first place????

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeLoose gas key screws

If the gas key screws aren't staked, either stake them now, or get some blue loctite, and loctite them. In all of my AR style rifle travels, I have only seen this issue once, so it can happen, but it really is rare.

I would put some lube on the rails of the BCG. I just had two newish rifles short stroking, one 308, and one 223. I put some new snake oil lube I was convinced to buy, and both of them started running well. I did all of the gas system checks, and was about to change buffers, when I decided to try this new lube(Weapon Shield, or something like that), and both started cycling. Saved me from digging in the parts box, looking for a different buffer.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: msinc"First time out", I doubt it on the carrier key loose screws, unless of course it was not assembled properly.

Improper build directly from the manufacturer is entirely plausible and should be looked at.

Simple fix, cut one coil at a time off the spring until it cycles...AFTER you apply lube to the gun. Why run it dry and wear the thing out prematurely in the first place????

Applying lube, yes. Cutting the buffer spring, not the way to do things.

Had a brand new S&W that was a single shot, first round out of the box .I about pulled my hair out ,wondering why. Screws were staked but not tight. Good ole QC.

Real world, not hearsay.

Gas key screws are staked.. Non adjustable gas block.. I looked at gas tube where it goes into the gas key.. Looks lined up perfect and there are no scratches on the tube that I could visually see.. Also looked in the gas key, No scratches at all...It looks perfect to me.. But Being new to these. I might be missing something there.. There is a light marking on bottom of the bcg from the hammer.. But don't think that would be the hold up.. I will try some lube and work with it. Also that lower does cycle my mmr hunter with no problem at all... I do feel a little bit of a drag now after bolt goes back about an inch it tightens up quickly... Hrrmmmm...

Did you check that the key screws were actually tight? Staking doesn't always indicate tight. The marks on the underside of the BCG is normal. Always have lube on the carrier races to ensure proper wear.

Put some lipstick on the key end, and see how well it is lining up to the tube. Also, there could be an issue with the GB alignment.

If all else fails, send it the Ritch at RPG and he will have it running like a top.

What trigger? I had a bcg drag on a RRA 2 stage hard enough to where it slowed it down and it wouldn't cycle. Other uppers worked fine on that same lower, just slightly different tolerances. Just one more thing you can check. Also just got a cheaper bcg that is so rough inside it wouldn't function on the new build. I swapped bolts with an older broke in one and it works ok in a different upper that's a little overgassed. There's lots of little things that will make them not work. I agree with the soak it up in oil and try it.

Also what ammo? I'm assuming factory which should run it.

Yes they seem to be very tight.. What should my BCG look like after 10 rnds?? Below the gas key the left hand side its really dirty.. Is that normal?? Thank you all for all the help to get this running in the right... Again thank you... Dan

Can yo post a picture of the "dirty?" That sounds interesting. Does the hammer have a shinny part on it were the bolt is riding it too much? The "dirty" could be color transfer from the hammer...maybe?

Maybe try the MMR BCG in this rifle, just to eliminate that.

Yes the top of hammer is shined up.. Trigger is a Geissele SSA-E 3.5LB... I cant do pics now so vid was easier..I just hit upload to you tube and it goes...

The carrier looks to be dragging in the tunel on the back end.

Also, with that discoration at the cam pin im wondering if you have a bad set of gas rings on the bolt.

Pull the bcg from upper, extend the bolt and stand the carrier on the bolt. If it holds the weight of bcg the rings should be good, if it does not, pull the bolt from carrier and inspect rings. Maybe there is a broken one or they may just need replaced.

ETA: dont run you bcg dry. You will be far better off with any lube but I prefer birchwood casey dry moly lube. Comes in a spray can. Doesnt fling off like oil and doesnt hold dirt and grit. Plus you bcg will practicslly wipe clean with a rag.

Last edited:
I did the test and it held up.. The gas ring looks good and not broke, I took the bolt out... That is not the original bolt that came with the BCG.. That was sent with the 204 barrel from JP.. I swapped out the original bolt that came with upper and bcg for the matched up one for the barrel from JP.. I seen the marks on back end.. I was working bolt back and fourth before took video to see if it would leave marks.. How many sets of rings should be on the bolt?? I seen one ring..

Back