Baiting

Hatchet, looks like you have a good setup with the mobile home. The woods also will offer cover so the coyotes should feel more at ease with being near the mobile home.

If you ever switch to night vision, then you can place a thick piece of foam (can get it at Walmart) over the window, and cut out small holes that will allow the rifle barrel and scope to protrude through. That way you don't have to worry about opening a window and risk spooking the coyote. The rifle will always be pointed at the bait site. The foam will also help keep cold air out.

Seems that you have a good setup, and having a good population of coyotes is sure to bring you some action. As was mentioned earlier, it may just take some time for them to find the bait. Dragging some bloody meat from different areas to the bait site might help too. Also, I like to pour blood up high on brush or tall weeds at the bait site to allow the scent to travel better. If there are coyotes nearby, they will find it.

Good luck. We are all anxious to hear and see the results.

Earllyer in post you guys talk about Ogoimanse LCD L long Distint coyote lure !!!!!!!!! Put around the site to give the coyote false pretense it's safe to come eat can get at FnTpost.com out of mi

When you see how far they can travel in a day and then they act spooky like the one in Pmack's video you have to wonder why they're not just skin and bones.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06He sure was nervous and cautious. What spooked him?

I last had him at the bait in December then he disappeared for a month. When I checked the camera Friday morning there were tracks everywhere, I thought I had several coyotes but appears only this nervous guy.

Not sure what spooked him, it was real windy, and I had just moved the camera and switched it to video.

Don't know why the alarm didn't go off, it's about a foot from the camera, it worked Friday after noon then again today. It's real nasty tonite, don't think I could see that far in the snow. I'm hoping it goes off and correlates to video times, if not I'm switching batteries tomorrow.

Last edited:
Pmack, that one reminds me of a coyote that 6mm06 used to have at his place. That coyote spent more time looking up that any coyote I've seen until this one at your place. Hope your get him soon.

Yep, that coyote at my site watched the tree top as if he was expecting to see something. Previously I had some IR lights up there. I figured he must have seen them. Even though the lights had been gone for quite a while, he continued to look up.

Occasionally the Driveway Patrol won't trigger, though not very often, especially if there is some constant movement in front of it. I have had a time or two when it would not trigger for some unknown reason. I began to add another unit at the site from time to time, positioned to catch movement from different angles. I now have 4 units guarding the site. That seems to catch everything.

It has continued to be slow for me since Dec., but I know they are on all sides of me. They just haven't worked back in to fill the gaps again. I went out to my truck to get my FoxPro to be sure the batteries were fully charged. While out there I decided to blow my skyote a couple of times to see if there was any response. I didn't hear anything but since I already had the FoxPro out, I decided to let it run a sound or two. Hit Yipping Coyotes Group Howl and listened. It took a couple of minutes but I heard a big group open up way to the north of me.

Put the call in the bag and started to the house. Then I heard a pair open up behind my shop and in the corn field about 500 yds away. To make a long story short, I called the pair in, but through a series of flubs, and IR feedback from the cornstalks, I never was able to get a shot.

Last night we called a place where we've been busted several times, but called from the field this time. First series of Female Coyote Howls and here comes one in 30 seconds. Runs to within about 50 yds and stops. My partner takes the shot and breaks her right shoulder. It knocks her down but I watch her with the thermal and she is up and running. I tell him to shoot again, but he has lost her. Thankfully she runs right to where my rifle is pointing at about 125 yds. and stops to bite the wound. I put one from the 243 in her chest and that is the end. It was a 30 second hunt. Here's a picture of my buddy holding her. She was shot up pretty hard.

Way to adapt on the fly DU. Next time! This coyote obsession we are afflicted with might not be so much fun if EVERYTHING didn't have to go right to prevail... Speaking from experience!

Two love-struck coyotes put on a 20 minute show for me this morning...courting on the pond. Chasing each other across the ice and up through the timbered shores. Missed the shot when one finally stopped for a moment in the sucker hole. I know I can't blame the rifle.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: K9SNIPER I know I can't blame the rifle.
frown.gif

It happens to us all. I would much rather miss than wound one though. At my bait site I have downed 11 coyotes and wounded one that was not recovered. I grieve more over the wounded one than any I have ever missed.

wow i started on this site in January of 2011 and this baiting forum was dec of 2010. it has been 2 years since i have been on here and i cant believe it is still going strong. I myself have not been hunt in quite a long time but my son i getting old enough he keeps asking me to take him. This year i am going to introduce him to coyote hunting. i still got all my hand calls and still can make the dogs around the neighborhood go crazy with them. plus also have my home made electric call i made from the varmint AL website. i am going to have to go back and read up now so everyone have a good time putting the fur on the ground....

Back