rumors of black panthers in ky

dont even know if there is a season for them in ky.
it was just one of those things that happend at the time.
but he/she is still there..

Why do I have this mental image of a Black Lab coming home to a neighboring farm gutshot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I thought I saw a bear once way back in the woods and it turned out to be a Black Chow someone had dumped off.

Quote:
it turned out to be a Black Chow someone had dumped off.

And you did the right thing.......right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:
I've heard hundreds of stories about black panthers, but I am still waiting for someone to shoot, trap, run it over or kill one in some fashion. So far I think history is leaning towards them being a myth since there has never been a recorded killing of a black panther in the history of the U.S. Coyotes, black labs and bobcats can look bigger and darker than they are at night and labs and some coyotes are already black. There has been several confirmed mountain lions here in Missouri the last few years so it is possible some have wondered into Kentucky also.. IF there was any number of them hound hunters would tree them. Lots of bobcats have been killed by coon hunters whose dogs treed them. An old hunting friend of mine had his coyote hounds tree a bear near here about 20 years ago but no mountain lions or black panthers.

ok i wrote this like a year ago and no one has any real proof or pics all i have hear is rumors and a lot of smoke blowing does any one have somthing to bring to the table and by the way i am in iqaq right now so it will be a while before i am back in the field to do some of my own reach
good luck guys

Chad while growing up in Martin Co. Ky. and Mingo Co W.Va. back in the later 40's and 50's everyone talked about the Panthers. I have hunted and and rode horses all over those mountains and hollows and like you, I have never seen a track or any sign of any cat larger than a Bobcat.Nor have I ever talked to anyone who personally seen a Panther. It was always a cousins barbers wifes hairdresser who had saw one. If you know what I mean. We have on a couple occasions seen a Bobcat in the mines where we would be working. Lots of rats in a working mines so I guess the cats were after the rats.

Back