What 30cal best competes with Thunderbeast ultra

NCroark

Looking into a 30cal can to use on two or three different calibers, no experience at all with cans, so what other can best competes with the ultra 9 in decibel reduction and performance, not going cheap just looking for best quality vs price

As the comedian Tim Wilson would say, this has the makings of a church league softball fist fight.
w00t.gif

I'd say it largely depends on which manufacture or salesman you choose to believe.

When anyone ask questions using the word "best" it tends to bring out the worst in us but to answer your question the "best" that I can, IMO there are a few 30 cal suppressors that are very good and my personal top three, in no particular order, would be TBAC, Dead Air, and SAS. There very likely are others that are equally good, those just happen to be MY top three.

I personally use what I use because it's proven, and it works for my team. There are lot's of options out there that you will be plenty happy with.

Originally Posted By: NCroarkLooking into a 30cal can to use on two or three different calibers, no experience at all with cans, so what other can best competes with the ultra 9 in decibel reduction and performance, not going cheap just looking for best quality vs price

The new SAS MX series does. The new Reaper MX 7" can beats the Ultra 9 by 3dB. That's 100% milspec test with the B&K2209.

I don't have the numbers on the 9" Arbiter MX but it will probably beat it by 6-7dB.
That's a guess but if the 7" MX beats it by three the 9" Arbiter MX should kill it.

PM doesn't have near the drama queens or hidden investors playing puppeteer so it shouldn't be to bad!

Originally Posted By: Kino MThe new SAS MX series does. The new Reaper MX 7" can beats the Ultra 9 by 3dB. That's 100% milspec test with the B&K2209.

I don't have the numbers on the 9" Arbiter MX but it will probably beat it by 6-7dB.
That's a guess but if the 7" MX beats it by three the 9" Arbiter MX should kill it.

PM doesn't have near the drama queens or hidden investors playing puppeteer so it shouldn't be to bad!

But were those numbers based on previous data from the TBAC Ultra or were they tested head to head, same day, same conditions??

Its hard to find anyone with good reliable field data, that's has tested several different cans on the same gun same day type testing, usually when I find something online the more I read the more it sounds like brand marketing

Originally Posted By: NCroarkIts hard to find anyone with good reliable field data, that's has tested several different cans on the same gun same day type testing, usually when I find something online the more I read the more it sounds like brand marketing

This is tough, it depends if you want tests with a B&K on certain days, in certain conditions, in certain terrain, with multiple cans, Or you want someone who uses different makes mods of manufacturers who hunts with them giving you educated opinions based on performance in the field, or you want someone who shoots multiple cans at a city range vs. a PRS guy who has shot multiple cans and prefers one over the other with credentials to back it up...
So many variables go into this it's hard to comprehend, it can be as simple as you want, or as elaborate as you need... You just need to talk to the right people.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Kino MThe new SAS MX series does. The new Reaper MX 7" can beats the Ultra 9 by 3dB. That's 100% milspec test with the B&K2209.

But were those numbers based on previous data from the TBAC Ultra or were they tested head to head, same day, same conditions??

Data from that day: all numbers are a 5 shot average. All shot the same day. Same weather conditions.
22" 308. FGMM.
Mil-Spec testing standards on B&K 2209

Ultra 9 136.8
Ultra 7 143.3
Reaper MX. 133.5
EADROM MX 134.1. On 14.5" barrel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Kino MThe new SAS MX series does. The new Reaper MX 7" can beats the Ultra 9 by 3dB. That's 100% milspec test with the B&K2209.

Data from that day: all numbers are a 5 shot average. All shot the same day. Same weather conditions.
22" 308. FGMM.

Ultra 9 136.8
Ultra 7 143.3
Reaper MX. 133.5

I though Eadrom was a 556 can????????

Originally Posted By: NCroarkIts hard to find anyone with good reliable field data, that's has tested several different cans on the same gun same day type testing, usually when I find something online the more I read the more it sounds like brand marketing

100% correct. There is no "industry standard" so the reputable companies use milspec parameters and equipment. One problem is most companies don't have milspec equipment as its expensive and hard to get. I know both SAS and TBAC use the B&K 2209. It's one of the very few that's milspec approved.

Some manufacturers also cheat and advertise readings at the ear instead of the muzzle, or put gel or water in them and the list goes on.

Until there is a 100% unbiased company that test cans on the same day and conditions it can be somewhat of a challenge to sort out the BS.

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendOriginally Posted By: Rangerwalker71Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Kino MThe new SAS MX series does. The new Reaper MX 7" can beats the Ultra 9 by 3dB. That's 100% milspec test with the B&K2209.

22" 308. FGMM.

Ultra 9 136.8
Ultra 7 143.3
Reaper MX. 133.5

The Eadrom is a 5" 556 can, it just so happened to get tested on the same day the meter was set up.

When cans run numbers real close I say it hard to tell single digit decibel changes. Your ear will here the tone more then anything. Just get a can that works for what your running. If your running multiple threads get a QD can or TOMB mount can. Get one the right length for you. A 9 inch can is long. You might want a shorter one you might not. Get one that you are ok with the weight. And get one that can handle you volume of shooting. Just saying I would much worry about decibel reading, worry about the fit for what your using it for.

Jason

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendOriginally Posted By: Rangerwalker71Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Kino MThe new SAS MX series does. The new Reaper MX 7" can beats the Ultra 9 by 3dB. That's 100% milspec test with the B&K2209.

22" 308. FGMM.

Ultra 9 136.8
Ultra 7 143.3
Reaper MX. 133.5

It is. I thru it out for [beeep] and grins.
Sorry was working on a science project.

Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71Originally Posted By: Buster HindendOriginally Posted By: Rangerwalker71Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Kino MThe new SAS MX series does. The new Reaper MX 7" can beats the Ultra 9 by 3dB. That's 100% milspec test with the B&K2209.

22" 308. FGMM.

Ultra 9 136.8
Ultra 7 143.3
Reaper MX. 133.5

It is. I thru it out for [beeep] and grins.
Sorry was working on a science project.

That's fine, I was just a little unclear as the preceding data said 22" 308 FGMM and I wasn't sure if you meant another can or if you meant the Eadrom and I wasn't sure how it fit into the mix. Gotcha now

Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71
22" 308. FGMM. Mil-Spec testing standards on B&K 2209

Ultra 9 136.8
Ultra 7 143.3
Reaper MX. 133.5
How does the Harvester 30 cal stack up against these ? tia

To answer your question roky0702, all sound testing is subject to several things. Many have been previously discussed.

There are man reasons #'s get skewed some we don't talk about.
smile.gif

Here is TBAC's testing with #'s that fall in line with everyone else. Interesting read.

Note: All data was measured in accordance with MIL-STD-1474D using a Bruel & Kjaer 2209 Meter one meter offset from muzzle.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/02/20/thunderbeast-suppressor/

Originally Posted By: smith1559When cans run numbers real close I say its REAL hard to tell A single digit decibel change. Your ear will here the tone more then anything. Just get a can that works for what your running. If your running multiple threads get a QD can or TOMB mount can. Get one the right length for you. A 9 inch can is long. You might want a shorter one you might not. Get one that you are ok with the weight. And get one that can handle your volume of shooting. Just saying I wouldn't much worry about decibel reading, worry about the fit for what your using it for.

Jason

This is the MOST sensible/accurate statement made in this post.....

Originally Posted By: Ericbc7Does anyone have experience with Mack Bros Varminter 3.0 30 cal?

I've got experience with the Mac Bros. MB762L wicked can, and I'll tell ya what, Alan and Dale are stand up fellas, I've been to their shop multiple times, even filmed a bit there, I would not hesitate one bit to purchase anything they manufacture.

Back