.243 Can Questions

shankbone

I'm want to run a can on my deer/varmint/predator rifle, a .243. I have a champagne appetite, but I'm a teacher. The can may spend time on my ARs as well, which I only use for predator hunting, not mag dumps.

What do you guys recommend from entry-level to $1,000, and should I only be looking at cans I can clean myself? Thanks in advance!

If your running a centerfire can only on centerfire rifles you don't need to clean it.

I would PM SKINNEY on here and talk to him about his 6MM VAPOR.

For 6.5 and down look at the SAS barricade. I run one on my 6.5cm and have been very happy with it.
It's 6" long, 10ozs, and 126 db's at the shooters ear on a 22" long 260rem.
For max flexibility you could go with a Reaper MX. It's a 30cal suppressor but would work great for .243. Getting 131 db's in a 22" 308. Per mil-spec testing.
That's 3db's quieter then a TBAC ultra 9.
As far as cleaning. You can clean most suppressor with crab cleaner, or I soak mine for 48-72 hrs in vinager when needed.
But this is only done every 3000-5000 rds or so I have found.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

816-718-9489
Thanks
RLTW
Steve

Last edited:
The new MX series from SAS has really set the bar on DB reduction. IMO the Reaper MX is the 30cal. can to have as the competition has got a lot of catching up to do.

Originally Posted By: 6724go with a 30 caliber can. you can use it on anything smaller.

one can, many rifles.

That makes the most sense. Thanks!

I wanted a can to run on my 243 coyote rifle and that I could potentially use on other rifles. I already had 2 7.62 cans rated for 300rum

I went SAS Barricade and asked Tim to put a 1/2 x 28 direct thread back end on it.

Works great

I had first decided on the Barricade but after the MX line came out and talking with Steve I decided on the Reaper MX.

The Reaper MX has more versatility plus it's only 1" longer and according to Steve will be quieter than the Barricade on my 6.5 Creed.

I will be using it on 6.5 Creed, 6mm Creed,.243AI, and .223AI.

Call Steve and he will take care of you...great guy to deal with.

Originally Posted By: shankboneOriginally Posted By: 6724go with a 30 caliber can. you can use it on anything smaller.

one can, many rifles.

That completely depends on your situation. I know most fellas aren't in a position to do what we do, and run as many cans as we are, HOWEVER, if you are going to designate one rifle for one specific application, I would highly recommend a designated can for that rig. You will receive better sound suppression and performance, trust me.

I run silencer Co Omega. I've used the 22 cal end cap (it measures about .3) on .223, 243, and 6.5 with great results. Like you I'm in education and I can't afford a separate can for all rifles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: shankboneOriginally Posted By: 6724go with a 30 caliber can. you can use it on anything smaller.

one can, many rifles.

That completely depends on your situation. I know most fellas aren't in a position to do what we do, and run as many cans as we are, HOWEVER, if you are going to designate one rifle for one specific application, I would highly recommend a designated can for that rig. You will receive better sound suppression and performance, trust me.

I agree, However not all people have that luxury. I have found that with a quality Suppressor in 30 cal. you can have great performance on sub cals as well. With little loss of DB, and just as accurate.

In a perfect world one rifle and one suppressor.

Last edited:
I once though I only needed one 30 cal to cover everything. Boy was I dumb. There is nothing like a caliber specific can.

That is why I laugh every time I see people going crazy over the Hybrid. One can that covers EVERYTHING and does NOTHING good. To each his own.
smile.gif

At minimum if you want one for your 243 get a 6MM can. Use it on everything on down if you must but I bet you will want more than one and find a way to get it done also..

I also find it funny that SAS suppressors are always a couple DB quieter than anybody's and that matters. Then in different thread a 30 cal will only be a couple a DB louder than a caliber specific can that is smaller and it doesn't matter then. WTH?

A perfect world is multiple targets, multiple weapons, multiple cans, multiple truck loads of ammo.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI also find it funny that SAS suppressors are always a couple DB quieter than anybody's and that matters. Then in different thread a 30 cal will only be a couple a DB louder than a caliber specific can that is smaller and it doesn't matter then. WTH?

Uhhh, wait a minute! From reading here I thought SAS suppressors could walk on water. Are you implying they can't??? Oh great and I just bought two of them a few months ago. lol

Never seen anyone do it but I'd like to see a chronograph used when they do these comparison tests or just any dB test for that matter.

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI once though I only needed one 30 cal to cover everything. Boy was I dumb. There is nothing like a caliber specific can.

That is why I laugh every time I see people going crazy over the Hybrid. One can that covers EVERYTHING and does NOTHING good. To each his own.
smile.gif

At minimum if you want one for your 243 get a 6MM can. Use it on everything on down if you must but I bet you will want more than one and find a way to get it done also..

I also find it funny that SAS suppressors are always a couple DB quieter than anybody's and that matters. Then in different thread a 30 cal will only be a couple a DB louder than a caliber specific can that is smaller and it doesn't matter then. WTH?

A perfect world is multiple targets, multiple weapons, multiple cans, multiple truck loads of ammo.
smile.gif

Fact:
milspec testing standards
308 175gr fgmm
22" bolt actions rifle
Ultra 9 5 shot average was 135.8 db's
Utlra 7 5 shot average was 139.18 db's
New Reaper MX 5 shot average 133.5 db's. 7" long

Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI once though I only needed one 30 cal to cover everything. Boy was I dumb. There is nothing like a caliber specific can.

smile.gif

smile.gif

Fact:
milspec testing standards
308 175gr fgmm
22" bolt actions rifle
Ultra 9 5 shot average was 135.8 db's
Utlra 7 5 shot average was 139.18 db's
New Reaper MX 5 shot average 133.5 db's. 7" long

Ya ya ya.... You don't get it.
smile.gif
Proved my point again

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERI once though I only needed one 30 cal to cover everything. Boy was I dumb. There is nothing like a caliber specific can.

smile.gif

smile.gif

I know, i hate my hybrid, it shoots so well and sounds so quiet on multiple rifles that i cant think of another i need to buy.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fireyote I know, i hate my hybrid, it shoots so well and sounds so quiet on multiple rifles that i cant think of another i need to buy.
smile.gif

What's the fun in having only one?
blush.gif

I've been shooting rock river ARs for the past two years. I recently bought a new 243. I took one of my suppressors off of a AR (silencerco saker 7.62) and put it on my new 243. I shot the saker for a couple of months. It was very good. I got my new Silencerco Omega three weeks ago and it is awesome. Light, quiet, accurate on and on. The thing I like about my silencerco suppressors is you can buy a 30 cal and also buy an extra 556 end cap. They have so many interchangeable parts it's amazing. You can retro fit almost anything.

Short story. I live in Utah and was talking to an longtime friend the other day I hadn't visited with for awhile. We asked each other about our children. As I asked him about his children by name he said that the son I asked about started silencerco. I laughed and told him I have several of his suppressors already. I found out I've know the owner (or one of them I'm not sure) as a young man. The family I'm talking about are great people, good business sense and they have great family values and ethics. This was just another bonus for me to realize about silencerco I didn't know.

Do your research there maybe something out there you like better but I'm a silencerco Fan.
Good hunting

Back