17x223 case forming

Going from .22 to .17.....with a Hornet case you may/may not be able to do it with one pass through a 17AH FL die. But it works because the hornet has a thin neck. The whole .223/222/221 family is a stronger case with a much thicker neck. I can't imagine that going straight from .223 to 172 would work. Making 17MIV from 221 takes a form die set......first to .20 with #1 form die, then .17 with the trim die. From there it's the regular neck or FL die. I've done literally 1000's of them. But go to .20 first. Trouble with bushing style dies is a lip to hold the bushing, it won't touch the base of the neck. Easy and inexpensive way to go is with a Bullberry form die, .20 on one end and .17 on the other.

A tip on powder.......besides not metering worth a crap through a powder measure, long grain stick powders are no fun to load in that little .17 hole. I used to shoot 3031 in a .17cal and hated that stuff. Ball or flake powders are far more user friendly.

So, I have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical 16.5" in 300 Blackout and am having trouble finding a load that shoots good in it. I've been trying Sierra tipped 123gr match FB bullets and have had no luck with grouping. We are talking 1.5" to 2" groups on average. This is not what I expected out of a Remington. I'm thinking of going to the 110gr to see if they fair any better.
Does anyone have some advise with a similar rifle? I've been running IMR 4227 and would like to stay with IMR.

Rob

I have run some thru a Hornady 17rem fireball die in one step! I do the same thing with 221 fireball brass to form to the 17 fireball!!

I have made and shot a bunch of 17-204 just using the fireball die to neck down to 17 cal then run them thru the redding FL bushing die for the final step.

I have also been thinking about doing the 17-223 so i wanted to see what could be done to form brass without a bunch of steps!

My 17 fireball runs the 20gr Vmax with Benchmark @ 4025fps with a 16" tube (my Avatar) and i have shot a few thousand rounds thru it, if the 17-223 only runs them @ 4100fps i think i will pass on it...

For super somic in the 300BO i have had the best luck with the 125gr TNT with Lilgun & IMR4198!

Originally Posted By: reddog964

My 17 fireball runs the 20gr Vmax with Benchmark @ 4025fps with a 16" tube (my Avatar) and i have shot a few thousand rounds thru it, if the 17-223 only runs them @ 4100fps i think i will pass on it...

It will obviously run faster than that, just didn't see the need to push it.

Back