Got Some 22DTi/6mmDTi/25DTi/6.5DTI Data Post Here

FC cases and Wolf primers. I edited the post with more info.

Some CFE223 data for comparison. These are probably the two best powders for 100gr and heavier in the small case.

100gr Hornady Interlock
31gr 2647 fps
31.5gr 2709 fps
32gr 2761 fps

100gr Speer flat base softpoint
31.5gr 2682 fps
32gr 2764 fps

Anyone try GS custom bullets? Their 80gr is similar in length to the gameking at .95". I might buy a box or two and give them a whirl, but figured I'd see if anyone here has anything to say about them.

6 DTI 10 twist 22" Fed cases Rem 7.5 primers
H322 29gr 3225fps. 29.5 3270 fps. 29.5 shows some pressure signs ejector marks on the head no crater.

image_zpso7cfk6gu.jpeg

MasterBlaster

Got my GS Custom bullets on Friday and loaded a small batch. Hope to get them out and shoot them soon with the chrono. Apparently the 67gr is the correct bullet for the cartridge since I was hoping for heavier for hunting, but hopefully the solid bullet and extra speed make up for it.

25DTI
SSA brass
Rem 7/1/2 primer
GSC 67gr HP
25gr IMR 4227

Last edited:
What are you expecting for speeds? I looked at GS's website and don't find this bullet. 85 is the lightest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SiringoWhat are you expecting for speeds? I looked at GS's website and don't find this bullet. 85 is the lightest. Just loaded the first rung but after giving him all the pertinent data he sent back a speed of 3300 with IMR 4227 but we will see once it passed over the magneto speed. His part number is 257067HV. Kind of odd but he suggests starting at max because of the drive bands. I started emailing him thinking the 85 was the ticket (maybe a bit more speed than the gameking) and a better hunting bullet but he said it was too long of a protrusion.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSAnybody ever have any luck with hornady 65 grain vmaxes in a 6 DTI 12 twist?

Bobtails -

Have you been able to get any data on the 65 gr. V-Maxes that you were looking for? If so, would you share it? I'm not intuitive enough to look at a load with another bullet weight than what I want to shoot and come up with what I need.

Any help would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: MadCowRacerOriginally Posted By: SiringoWhat are you expecting for speeds? I looked at GS's website and don't find this bullet. 85 is the lightest. Just loaded the first rung but after giving him all the pertinent data he sent back a speed of 3300 with IMR 4227 but we will see once it passed over the magneto speed. His part number is 257067HV. Kind of odd but he suggests starting at max because of the drive bands. I started emailing him thinking the 85 was the ticket (maybe a bit more speed than the gameking) and a better hunting bullet but he said it was too long of a protrusion.

Shot my first two trials (odd finding speed before accuracy). I got 3100fps out of 25gr of IMR 4227 and about 3128 out of 25.2. Odd thing is that I'm getting failure to eject/extract (didn't get to see if the bolt was cycling since I was shooting by myself). Odd because I never had any problems with any of the other load development.

IMR 4227 is a fast powder. My guess is your port pressure is low and not enough gas pressure to work the action (doesn't mean chamber pressure is low). Try shooting just one round with an empty magazine in the rifle. See if the bolt locks back. It very well may be that the combination of the light bullet for caliber and fast powder is not compatable with the gas system.

Last edited:
One bullet and the empty magazine would not lock the bolt back. I shot six shots, and only the first actually cycled the bolt. Is there a chart out there that has burn rates of powders? A one stop place rather than sifting through every manufacturer site.

Originally Posted By: MadCowRacerOne bullet and the empty magazine would not lock the bolt back. I shot six shots, and only the first actually cycled the bolt. Is there a chart out there that has burn rates of powders? A one stop place rather than sifting through every manufacturer site.

Burn rate has nothing to do with it. Powders side by side on the chart will often exhibit different levels of reliability. You can load hotter for more gas, or drill the gas port for more gas flow. If you do the second you can often put an adjustable gas block on it and tune the gas to the load and broaden your operational envelope.

Even some factory ammo won't cycle AR's that run perfectly with other brands. If it is a new rifle often a couple hundred rounds will smooth things up and the issue goes away.

Greg

PS: Don't forget to try a different magazine as this will sometimes be an issue.

MadCow -- Back in 2014 you were shooting 90 grain Sierra's. Did those cycle? You were stating that you had higher pressure signs -- swipes. I have to assume that the cases were ejecting.

If the upper was functioning fine with other loads you have used, your problem will be the bullet/powder combination you are currently trying to use.

What barrel length are you using?

18" barrel, and yeah the 90gr always cycled fine. I'm seeing similar markings with the lighter bullet load as well, so it may not be the load as much as the chamber and bolt on this gun itself. Both loads leave a nice little circle on the headstamp and the feedramps leave two drag marks on the bullet and neck of the case. I'm not seeing any primer flattening, but I am getting a bit of cratering with the lighter bullet compared to the load I was using with the 90gr

I'm not surprised 4227 will not cycle your AR. Port pressure has to be awful low with that fast of a burning powder. Try 8208 or something in that range and your issues will go away.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI'm not surprised 4227 will not cycle your AR. Port pressure has to be awful low with that fast of a burning powder. Try 8208 or something in that range and your issues will go away.

The creator of the bullets says to start work with the max load (seemed goofy to me, so I just smaller ladders to look for pressure) but didn't see any extreme signs once I got to max with the 4227. Would getting a copy of quickload allow me to enter my case capacity, barrel length, etc. in to build a custom cartridge?

Originally Posted By: MadCowRacerOriginally Posted By: 204 ARI'm not surprised 4227 will not cycle your AR. Port pressure has to be awful low with that fast of a burning powder. Try 8208 or something in that range and your issues will go away.

The creator of the bullets says to start work with the max load (seemed goofy to me, so I just smaller ladders to look for pressure) but didn't see any extreme signs once I got to max with the 4227. Would getting a copy of quickload allow me to enter my case capacity, barrel length, etc. in to build a custom cartridge?

QL is nice as a what if tool. It does not always reflect real world numbers. I like to run it with known data to see if it is close. If so I will use the data as a general set of parameters but I don't blithely just jump on the numbers it generates. It is fascinating to plug in loads that some guys shoot. The eye opening pressures give me palpitations. It can be off but at times you know what they are running is very real and very scary.

We do use it early on in wildcat design but only as a part of the puzzle.

Greg

Looking for some quickload help for the 25DTI. I started with the 6.8 as the cartridge, and I was curious as to what people are putting in as the groove caliber, and the cross-sectional bore area. Just loaded the program and figured I'd start with a difficult cartridge rather than start out with something like 300win mag.

Back