NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

The chart shows lead BB with 11.5 ft lbs at 50yds. I believe the chart was created by Remington. I'm also not sure why tighter chokes are such taboo with steel? With T and BB, in a .730 bore there is no way for 4 pellets to be side by side. 3 times .200 for T and you're at .600". Add in the wad wall thickness .060"(I'm guessing on this) and you have .660". That certainly seems like a .690 or even a .680 choke would be ok?

Last edited:
You're right Bob. I got it confused with TT.I have an old Rem guide to steel pamphlet.The retained energy figures they show has lead BB at 1260Fps having 13.8 Ftlbs at 40yds.Steel T 1300Fps 12.5Ftlbs.While steel TT 1300Fps having 15Ftlbs at 40yds.

I should have known from reading this thread that I'd be in choke tube [beeep]. I feel like I'm there and I'm yet to fire a shot! The tough part is finding chokes designed to handle steel and to pattern as tight as I'm looking for. Obviously, most steel chokes are made for waterfowling. I'm pretty sure that "Extra full" for a guy shooting geese is Luke an 80% pattern in a 30" circle at 40 yds. I'm looking for like 80% in a 10" circle at 40yds! I have a Kicks High Flyer Extra Full(.710"), I'm really considering getting a Kicks Howler H(.700"). I've also been reading a lot of guys talking about the Terror .675". That's the tightest steel choke I've heard of. There's a few more, but it's obvious that it isn't going to be hard spending a few hundred dollars on choke tubes!

great thread!!!
i'm looking to set up my mossberg 835 for 3" 4 buck.shots would be no more then 50yrds. if i read everything right the chokes i need should be between .710" to .725" the problem is i'm not finding any in these constrictions.any help with which chokes have these constrictions would be appreciated.
i found an extra full[.710"]

Last edited:
thanks i have the ultimag according to there web the accumags do not fit.i'm going to call them monday.a lot of these choke company's don't give out the constrictions on there sites.

I have 3 Accumags for my 835.The Full .730 IC .765 Mod .750.Of these the Mod patterned best with 3" 4 buck.Of all I've tried so far Kicks Buck Kicker .745 works best with buckshot.It's the Accuchokes that fit another gun.

Originally Posted By: desertcjPretty sure Carlson' s has a few chokes that would work for you. Check out the website...

yes that's where i order the full[.727]& extra full[.710] from.i emailed them about the constriction on there coyote choke.i'd like to try a few different chokes in between the above,but i'll start them first.

Originally Posted By: ny huntergreat thread!!!
i'm looking to set up my mossberg 835 for 3" 4 buck.shots would be no more then 50yrds. if i read everything right the chokes i need should be between .710" to .725" the problem is i'm not finding any in these constrictions.any help with which chokes have these constrictions would be appreciated.
i found an extra full[.710"]

For the 835, the accumag is correct. I have the Kicks BuckKicker XFull at .720 I think it is. With 3" 4 buck its ok to 40 yards. I think I have my pellet counts on the previous page. The patterns don't look great but it has been putting an average of about 9 to 10 pellets on point of aim consistently. I'd rather see a more dense pattern but I've not been able to achieve it.

I've tried two different Kicks chokes and a handful of Carlson's from the coyote choke down to their tighter turkey chokes, a TruGlo, and the factory "UltiFull" at .695.

hit a snag today all i could find was 23/4" oo buck[federal] and 23/4" #4 buck[rem],they also had 31/2 oo buck i didn't buy the 31/2".the only bb or t was steel shot.what distance would be considered effective? i won't be able to pattern them till saturday.

Originally Posted By: ny hunterhit a snag today all i could find was 23/4" oo buck[federal] and 23/4" #4 buck[rem],they also had 31/2 oo buck i didn't buy the 31/2".the only bb or t was steel shot.what distance would be considered effective? i won't be able to pattern them till saturday.

I would order some 3" number 4 buckshot or the Hornady Heavy Magnum BB Coyote loads instead of buying any of those loads.

we can't mail order ammo here in new york and none of the gun shops seem interested.maybe its time to figure something else out for close range.i'm not looking to wound anything.its just very thick where i hunt and the 22-250 seems a little overkill.thanks still enjoyed reading this thread.

The 2 3/4" #4 buck could pattern great. You just don't know. I also find it very hard to believe that anything is shaking of a load of steel T's at 40 yds and under. I understand where you're coming from though . I'm still waiting on my goodies to come in so I can do some testing.

@NY Hunter,
I agree that the 4 buck could be a real good load, I have no experience with steel. What's effective is going to depend on your pattern and how many pellets you're putting on target at a given distance.

I got some shooting done today. I had the barrel on mossberg 500A threaded to accept choke tubes and this was it's first go. It has a .730" bore and for chokes, I had a Kicks High Flyer Extra full(.710") and a Patternmaster Anaconda Stryker(.670") which I intended to use for turkey hunting.

For ammo, I had Winchester 3" 1 1/4oz steel BB, Federal 3" 1 1/4oz steel T, Federal 1 1/8oz steel T, Hevishot Hevi duty 2 3/4" #4 buck and some Federal 2 3/4" High brass 1 1/4oz lead 4 that I used as kind of a baseline and to see if I could get away with using for turkeys.

I'd post pics if I could but I guess you're just going to have to take my word. I only shot the steel loads through the Kicks High Flyer. At 20yds, I'm sure I can make some fur fly with any of the steel loads, however all three were very disappointing at 40yds with only a few hits on a plate. 13 hits on a paper plate at 20yds with the T loads. I couldn't tell much difference between the two T loads. 25 hits on a plate with the steel BB load at 20yds.

The Patternmaster turkey choke was pretty good with the lead #4 at 20yds and OK at 40yds, but definitely not a turkey pattern and since I can't hunt predators with lead, this isn't a useful combo for me.

As for the Hevishot #4 buck, nothing special out of the Kicks High Flyer. Out of the Patternmaster, at 20yds it's pretty good. 13 hits on a paper plate. It really fell apart at 40yds with only 3 hits.

I'm going to get ahold of a couple more chokes and some more shells, so this isn't over yet!

@desertcj
I appreciate the work you're putting in to it.

I've not had any worthwhile experience with Hevishot. I've recently talked with a few other guys about this. Hevishot gets talked up but no one actually has proof. It's high priced and doesn't meet boasted expectation.

I don't think I'm going to find anything much different than what is already in this thread. I'm going to try one more choke with the steel loads and buy a few more types of shells. It seems to me that you can spend a small fortune on either chokes or on premium shells. In the end, it seems more likely that I will be shooting the expense shells anyways. If I could shoot lead, I think this would be easy. Grab some lead #4 buck and a couple of turkey chokes....done. On fox, I'm pretty sure that turkey loads are going to hammer 'em.

Last edited:
Back