vintage Johnny stewart record player question

I recently purchased a couple vintage Johnny stewart record players. Both turntables turn but I cant get anything to come out the speakers. I have tried two different speakers and still no luck. I was just wondering if this was a common problem or something that can be fixed. I thought that someone may have had one of these back in the day and know what might be causing this.

Thanks for any insight.
Brian

Funny to read this post, Earlier I set mine up to record some old Lnych crow call 45's into my TEAC ad-800. Halfway through the first record it died, smokingly died, I am checking EBay for potential replacements. So until I get a new working one or see what happened to mine in the morning, I'm not much help. But I can commiserate with the OP.

Well here is what I have found out with mine, It yours is like mine and takes 12 D batteries, 6 in each tray. One set is for the turn table motor, the other powers the Amplifier circuit. To bad Gerald doesn't visit the forums any longer, he might have some insight into common failures he has seen in the past.

Well I have one of them working now and one sorta working. The first problem I had was a bad battery. And the other problem was one of the little silver disc that touches the neg. part of the battery was broke. Once I picked up some new batteries and fixed the end one is working great. I can hear sounds out of the speaker on the other one but its not very loud. The dial on the side does change the volume but it still doesn't go very loud. Looks like some more tinkering with it. lowtempguru did you ever get yours fixed?

Brian

Brian, that good news you got yours working. Mine I'm afraid is down for the count. Monday I will take it to a shop that repairs old radios and ham equipment and see what can do for it. I'm going to look for another one for nostalgia sake, but I ordered a Numark turn table to USB converter to play the 45s I am currently converting to MP3s to use on my Ecall.

Originally Posted By: Brian AllenI recently purchased a couple vintage Johnny stewart record players. Both turntables turn but I cant get anything to come out the speakers. I have tried two different speakers and still no luck. I was just wondering if this was a common problem or something that can be fixed. I thought that someone may have had one of these back in the day and know what might be causing this.

Thanks for any insight.
Brian
Hey Brian Allen
smile.gif

There might be some internal damage ,you could go to the repair shop.Actually many turntables start giving problem at early stages ,so we need to be careful while buying them.You should buy good quality turntable which lasts longer and has some good features to offer.Like I recently bought a crosley turntable it's wonderful ,I could carry it with me in my car.You could read about these turntables on crosley turntable reviews
91GafRp6ORL._SX522_.jpg
,they have good information.

Back