Coyote hunting with an air gun!

beaverquack

New to this forum but not new to coyote calling...here's my first post:

Week before last I got to finally try out my new Quackenbush .308 air gun that I was fortunate enough to be drawn for in the 2014 drawing. (Dennis only makes about 50 of these a year so you have to sign up for one when he has a new window of availability... and hope you get lucky).

Went out to the sagebrush country of eastern Oregon and called a total of 17 coyotes over three days and brought home three prime coyote pelts. 96 grain hollow points by Mr. Hollowpoint got the job done for me. My longest shot was 45 yards, and the closest was cartwheeled backwards stone dead after a 25 yard throat shot. Also made my share of bonehead mistakes or I should have had at least three more. Don'tcha just love hunting coyotes?!

Had a lot of fun playing with my new Foxpro Fusion too! Mainly I played "Lightening Jack", but also got a couple of customers late in the stand after I played a female coyote long howl (this after a pack of coyotes way out there let me know they were on to me).

I've always taken a lot of pride in my abilities with a mouth call, but I will readily admit that it was nice to not have incoming coyotes completely zeroed in on me (by placing the Foxpro 20-30 yards away) to get that close up chance with the airgun.

Looking forward to my next outing...soon I hope!

Last edited:
Tricking them in is a point of pride to me and whacking one with an airgun doubles that.
I bet that rifle is nice but I have never held one of his models. How many shots do you get per fill.

I can get 3-4 quality shots. However, I use a hand pump to top off between shots when I go back to my rig so as to keep the reservoir filled to 3000 lbs. I am finding that my first shot uses nearly 400 lbs.

Originally Posted By: beaverquackI can get 3-4 quality shots. However, I use a hand pump to top off between shots when I go back to my rig so as to keep the reservoir filled to 3000 lbs. I am finding that my first shot uses nearly 400 lbs.

Pretty good for large caliber. The pump is great but a last resort for me. It's so easy to cheat and use the scuba tank. Have overfilled a couple times and damaged exhaust valve.Keep shooting good to hear the success.

Well, I'll admit at times I thought I was going to develop a hernia when I was sighting it in, LOL...but as far as hunting with it goes; pumping that rifle up after a shot is the perfect remedy for the excess adrenalin build up in my tissues!

(With my Hill pump it takes about 40-45 pumps to do the trick).

Last edited:
Working on it!

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of fun.....I have yet to hunt eastern Oregon. Just the wet-side so far. There's nothing like taking one down with an airgun!

Last edited:
Lucky man. I would love to have a quackenbush air rifle. I use a .25 Benjamin Marauder fully tricked out for fox, raccoon, and woodchucks. Would not use on yote unless a 50 yard on less shot in the head.

Originally Posted By: hammer0419Lucky man. I would love to have a quackenbush air rifle. I use a .25 Benjamin Marauder fully tricked out for fox, raccoon, and woodchucks. Would not use on yote unless a 50 yard on less shot in the head.

Daq's are always low in supply.....they were the first domesticly built bigbore airgun to get any sort of public attention. There are at least a few more domestic airgun guys to get a 500-1000+fpe bigbore airgun from now (several calibers), so don't let availability stop you from getting what you want.

Performance standards in bigbore airguns have risen greatly over the past several years....the bar of effeciency, power, and especially ACCURACY has been raised.

Back