53 gr. V-Max in .22-250 for coyotes????

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRH

I find it interesting how we (diffent hunters) get very different results with the Vmax bullet line. Myself, ive never had a pass thru with the Vmax bullets. I know this thread is about the 53gr Vmax, but ive never had a pass thru even with The Hornady 50gr SP either.

Before I won a case of 53 grain Vmax factory ammo at the PM Convention, I shot primarily handloaded 50 grain Vmaxes in my .223. They didn't seem nearly as destructive as the 53 grainers. They usually stayed inside too.

Remember that this is the first and so far only coyote that I've killed with the 53 grainers. Hopefully I'll be adding to the dataset as time goes by.

I have been using them in my 22-250 and 223 for years.

I don't have blowouts (bigger than softball size hole) if i don't shoot them in the face on chest near the legs, or aim for the shoulder. But, my buddy has the same results with SPs if he does the same thing.

If you think a 2" hole when shooting little bullets really fast(over 3500fps) is a blowout, I guess we should talk about what a blowout is.

2" hole is nothing if you are putting up fur. I would gladly take a dead, face plant coyote with a 2" hole, over a no hole at all coyote that i waste time tracking cause it ran. Most of the time i shoot between 75-400yrds and the 53 goes in and leaves little .224 holes. I aim behind the ribs at mid body height. Vmax go in and burst, i don't eat them and a "gut shot" kind of shot still hits the heart and lungs. A few minutes of sewing is way better than searching for them.

I sold 30 pelts last year, and wouldn't trade the 53vmax bullets for anything and have a massive collection of them.

I just finished building an AR15 (specialized Dynamics lower) with a 16" upper crome molly lined 1:9 twist and after break in the first 5 shot group with factory ammo resulted in the following grouping at 100yrds.I am still working up loads for it, but not in any rush with results like this.

Factory Hornady ammo with 53gr vmax.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI have been using them in my 22-250 and 223 for years.

I don't have blowouts (bigger than softball size hole) if i don't shoot them in the face on chest near the legs, or aim for the shoulder. But, my buddy has the same results with SPs if he does the same thing.

If you think a 2" hole when shooting little bullets really fast(over 3500fps) is a blowout, I guess we should talk about what a blowout is.

2" hole is nothing if you are putting up fur. I would gladly take a dead, face plant coyote with a 2" hole, over a no hole at all coyote that i waste time tracking cause it ran. Most of the time i shoot between 75-400yrds and the 53 goes in and leaves little .224 holes. I aim behind the ribs at mid body height. Vmax go in and burst, i don't eat them and a "gut shot" kind of shot still hits the heart and lungs. A few minutes of sewing is way better than searching for them.

I sold 30 pelts last year, and wouldn't trade the 53vmax bullets for anything and have a massive collection of them.

I just finished building an AR15 (specialized Dynamics lower) with a 16" upper crome molly lined 1:9 twist and after break in the first 5 shot group with factory ammo resulted in the following grouping at 100yrds.I am still working up loads for it, but not in any rush with results like this.

Factory Hornady ammo with 53gr vmax.

[beeep] CAN I BUY THAT GUN FROM YOU ?????How much did you get avg per pelt?

Last edited:
50-55 GR. BULLETS Either Rem Cor Lot, Hornady SX With 33 GRS.? Of IMR 3031 Powder is fantastic on Coyotes etc.?

Last edited:
I have shot the 55 gr vmax for years. Only bullet I use. In my Swift its running at 3950 and is lights out on any coyote. If I can see it its DRT. I rarely get an exit and their insides are jelly. Shot placement is the key. Broadside and frontals are best. They run 2850 in my 16" AR and still work great. Bad hits equal a big hole.

I've used 40's, 50's, 55's and prefer 53's in a short 14.5" used primarily at night. running them at 2985, shot close to 40 of them this dec. so far only one dog had a 2" exit hole. Otherwise the rest have no exit wound. They seem to have more knockdown power at 200-300yds than a similar loaded 50 or 55grn bullet, way less runners.
They work for me.

Last edited:
Back