Best shotgun loads for coyote?

.270everything

I am sure it's been covered in the past but was just wondering what the best loads for hunting yotes with a 12 gauge were. I was thinking #4 buck, but it is only legal on private land in my state. State land only #2 shot is allowed.

12 Gauge Winchester 3 1/2" mag 004buck with Carlson's Coyote Choke tube. The 31/2" 004 buck has 64 approx. 20 caliber balls and is devastating out to at least 50 yards. The Carlson's Coyote Choke packaging states 70 yards, but I have never patterened out that far. Just my 2 cents.

search for this topic in the white area at the top. You will get hundreds of comments.

Connecticut is messed up, but i doubt they are that messed up. Check your regulations again.

Originally Posted By: .270everythingI am sure it's been covered in the past but was just wondering what the best loads for hunting yotes with a 12 gauge were. I was thinking #4 buck, but it is only legal on private land in my state. State land only #2 shot is allowed.

Sir, there is a HUGE thread on this "pinned" near the top of the Firearms sub-forum page. It's a good read.

As for using "plain ol' #2 Pheasant shot" (since that is all your state allows)....I have shotgunned hundreds of coyotes since 1978-79....2-3/4" #2 WILL do the job, IF you use the correct choke.
The only way to truly know which choke (and brand of shell) that your particular gun shoots tight patterns of, is to test a variety of options, if you can.
No two guns are identical.

Once you determine these factors, you will know your maximum effective range.
I also will make this suggestion, when "aiming"/shooting a coyote with a shotgun...especially if you choose to use #2...(and please keep in mind that this is an opinion based on nothing more than my own years of doing it): If the shot is at a standing coyote, aim directly for it's head. If the shot is at a moving coyote (regardless of angle), "lead" the coyote's head by 6"-18" (depends on speed of coyote). This gives you a head/neck shot pattern 90% of the time.

We used to be limited to #2 here in Mass, I've used it, but you gotta be close on these big eastern coyotes, and head shots and "double-taps" if possible.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZsearch for this topic in the white area at the top. You will get hundreds of comments.

Connecticut is messed up, but i doubt they are that messed up. Check your regulations again.
Tbone, unfortunately 270 is correct.

((possesion of shotgun ammunition larger or heavier than #2 shot is prohibited on state owned land, state leased land, and permit required land at all times.))

and Also limited to rimfire only on state land. No restriction on shot size on private land, (for coyote hunting) with landowners permission.

I shoot a Franchi 3 1/2" with a Carlson hevishot Dead Coyote Choke
I have killed coyotes out to 65 yards using Dead Coyote T shot.
Other guys here use #4 Buckshot

The high priced denser than lead ammo is your best bet.Plain lead 2 will work but you'll need to get them inside 30yds.Even that's probably pushing it.Do some penatraiton testing while patterning.

A friend once asked me to take him coyote hunting. He asked what gun to use. I told him 12 guage. He asked about the load. I told him #4 buckshot. We get out, call in a coyote and he knocks it down at about 35 yards. But I notice that the pattern looked odd. Turns out HIS idea of #4 buckshot was actually #4 steel birdshot. The shot went through and through and the coyote went down hard.

So with the right stand set up and the right choke you should be able to get the job done with your limitations. Just pattern your gun and find the right load/choke combo.

OK so I will start with a pile of different loads with a full choke in my 870 tactical (ghost ring sights, magpul stuff). Lit's of pallet sized cardboard from work for patterning.

Originally Posted By: .270everythingJust trying to see if public land is an ethical option. The .17 wsm is also legal on state land.

If it's open to public hunting, then hunting on public land is ethical. Just make dang sure that you are aware of anyone doing something in that same acreage, so no one gets accidently shot.

Originally Posted By: canislatrans54Originally Posted By: .270everythingJust trying to see if public land is an ethical option. The .17 wsm is also legal on state land.

If it's open to public hunting, then hunting on public land is ethical. Just make dang sure that you are aware of anyone doing something in that same acreage, so no one gets accidently shot.

No disrespect meant, but pretty sure 270 meant ethical for taking a coyote with the minimum #2 shot

Well ive used mag blends with luck and then I just started using my hand loaded turkey loads that's 10$ per shot but 60 yards them pooches don't got a chance

Back