Anyone switch to .204 Ruger in AR platform and regret it?.

weever82

I have been shooting .223 AR platform for years and wanting to switch it up with .204 Ruger.

Anyone regret it? Accuracy seems to be there but maybe not as much knock down power for big coyotes? Figured it should be good for 200yds still...

Just curious on some of your thoughts.

Thanks for reading!

Weev-

I have not even carried my 223 since going to the 204. Never had a problem killing them dead with it either!! Love my 204's

I never had a 204 but did have a 24" 20 practical in an AR. The 35 berger bullet is your friend in a 20 cal. I killed several past 300 with my 20P

It seems like a pretty sweet round especially with the high velocity and flat trajectory. However I am hearing about jamming with the .204 in AR platform.

Any of you having that issue?

I have a 24 inch heavy barrel and mine is one of the most accurate AR's that I own. I shoot 40 Nosler and 35 Berger and they are very accurate.

Most jamming/feeding issues can be traced back to the magazines. People using MagPul mags have reported issues but if you use a high quality steel or aluminum mag then you should be fine. I haven't had feed issues in any of my .204's.

As for power, well, nothing beats a well placed shot. Put it in the bread basket and they go down just as hard with the .204 as with a .223. But if you make a bad shot, they will take it and run. But that is true about all calibers. You may want to be careful about your bullet choice as well.

Back