I may have a little issue.

12Ring

My form 4 was recently approved. I did a trust I got all excited and wanted to get all my paperwork together and when I was printing It out I realized the name of my trust on my form 4 was wrong. For example let's say my trust was called XYZ Trust, well the name my dealer put on my form 4 says XZY Trust. The Z and Y were transposed. The ATF still approved it but I don't know what to do about that now. Is there any chance the ATF caught it being wrong on the form 4 and corrected it? My dealer has not yet received my stamp. It was approved 10 days ago.

I don't want to pick up my suppressor and be illegally in possession of it because of that. Any suggestions on what I need to do or do I just wait and see what the paperwork looks like when my dealer receives it?

Last edited:
the atf will not correct it. if they noticed that if was different they would most likely have contacted you to have you correct error and send new paperwork in.
after you get it, you should follow up on your end.

Oh man I'm so mad at myself for not catching it. I even sat down with the form 4 and looked it over to make sure everything was correct and I guess my brain saw the three initials and it didn't register that they were transposed. I have been waiting a total of 7 months between the form 3 transfer and the wait on approval of the form 4. If the correction takes another 4 months, I will be so disappointed. Stupid mistake by both myself and the dealer. Bummed out right now.

Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but hope you get it sorted out. I would, however, like to hear about your experience with setting up a trust here in NM. I've been considering the same move. If you get a chance and don't mind, shoot me a PM or email, or I can give you a call to discuss. Thank you.

Interesting dilemma you have and it'll be interesting to see how this plays out for you. Maybe you could just make the "Trust" name match your Form 4 name and your trust would now be known as whatever the name on your Form 4 is but I'm in no position to give legal advise so if that would be considered an illegal act, obviously that won't work.

Originally Posted By: B23Interesting dilemma you have and it'll be interesting to see how this plays out for you. Maybe you could just make the "Trust" name match your Form 4 name and your trust would now be known as whatever the name on your Form 4 is but I'm in no position to give legal advise so if that would be considered an illegal act, obviously that won't work.

Would be talking with an attorney to see if this would work.

I have a sneaky suspicion that an attorney is going to tell you that forming another trust to match the name on the form 4, is NOT going to work, because date of establishment of the new trust would be after the date of submission of the application and date of issue of the Form 4, to a non-existent trust at the time it was issued.

A minor technicality, no doubt, but probably not one you would want to come back and haunt you somewhere down the road.

I didn't go the trust route, but had the ATF send my papers back because the serial number was wrong for the suppressor. A quick trip to the gun shop that I ordered the suppressor from and the problem was fixed. I sent it back to the ATF and had my can in less than 2 weeks.

To avoid any problems, I would call BATF and explain the situation. In my experience they will usually help with such problems, with a minimum of time delay. I suspect a couple days to couple of weeks.

My last name is 2 words, separated with a space in between, Vxx Hxxx, and this caused problems that were easily fixed by BATF.

This was YOUR fault though, so this is all speculation, but I would call anyway.

Back