New Predator Rifle Suggestions!!!

I would sell some things to increase $1000 to at least $1500 ($2000 would be better) and build a long range 25-06 with: remington 700 bdl short action, boyds thumbhole stock (or whatever stock you shoot best long range),Lliga 1-9 twist barrel, bed the action, lap the lugs, trigger job and etc. etc.

If buying factory, then remington 700 adl 25-06. Getting the adl will save a little money and you can take to smith and have some work done to make factory gun a great long range shooter for under $1000.

Let us know what you do. I cant wait.

Originally Posted By: 204 AR ^^^^^^ You would build a 25-06 on a short action?

What i was wandering too.

Really... The 25 is giving up a lot anyway in the high BC bullet department. Why not go with a .007" bigger bullet (a human hair is .003), and your into a MUCH better selection of long range bullets.

And to the OP, Dr.J not to far off... CONSISTANT 1st shot hits beyond 600 in heavy wind, in field conditions takes some serious skill and luck. Getting a bigger gun will likely only increase your odds a very small % unless you burn a barrel up practicing with it.

One thing most guys miss... Do you currently have a range finder that will come back off a coyote at 600 yards? If not plan to add $ for that. Even a $5000 rifle is worthless at that distance without an accurate range...

Not trying to discourage, I'm all for a new gun. But I like being realistic too.

I have a Leica 1600B range finder and a Kestrel 3500. The glass is going to be a Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 in a 1" tube with Talley rings. Shooting longer distances is not something new to me-I currently shoot a 6.5 SAUM with a Leupold 4.5-14 on a 30 mm tube for elk hunting and am proficient at reloading. I have found it pretty tough to find 6.5 bergers in a 140 hunting bullet so I am looking for something that is a little more accessible and cheaper. If I decide on a 6.5 Creedmore or 6.5-284 what brand of bullets and weight would you suggest?

After I have read your posts I am probably going to look at something in a 6mm or 243. I like the sound of a 6x47 Lapua too but I am not sure if I want to deal with the extended reloading process. I also like the look of a Savage 12 Varminter as well as the Remington 700 BDL in a 243.

I wish I could afford to buy them all!

6.5-06 would be my personal choice, shooting whatever it liked best. Hopefully 123 gr amax, since I have a pile of them. Also have a pile of 30-06 brass to convert.

Since you reload, Does it make a little more sense to go with a 6mm over 243 because the 6mm case is a touch larger therefore the capacity of the case gives it an advantage on the ballistic side?

I know the difference isn't much but at 600 yards every little bit matters.

I vote a 6mm with 1-9 twist and good trigger job.

The 243 is hard to beat. At 6 to 700 yards the Berger 95 gr VLDs will get the job done with no troubles. I know the 243 is plain jane and boring but they are easy to load for and shoot better than most. I just bought one with a 10 twist to shoot 70 to 95 gr bullets. The best part about the 6mm cal is all the bullet choices.

Originally Posted By: ksduckhntr204 what's the recoil like on a 6.5-06?

All things being equal should be between a 25-06 and a 270 in the recoil department.

Back