Required documents when out and about with your can?

12Ring

So what exactly are you supposed to carry with you when your at the range or out hunting with your can? Do you just need your stamp? Stamp and trust? What all do I need in my possession? Thanks

Just the form with the stamp. Make sure it is a copy, not the original. Keep the original locked up so you dont lose it. You can also take it to someone like Staples and have it reduced to credit card size and laminated or scan it and save a copy to your phone.

^^^^ Good advice. I take mine to office depot and make multiple laminated copies. Keep originals locked up. Some guys also carry a picture on their phone.

Legally you don't have to have the original on you, but have to "provide it" if necessary.

Additionally, by law, the only person who can require you to show the paperwork is an ATF agent. It clearly states it in the law. 26 U.S.C. sec. 5841(e).

Whether you want to fight that battle in the field is up to you. I asked that question to our resident ATF agent (I work at a SOT gun shop) and she confirmed that and she said she informed local law enforcement (sheriff's offices) and the F&G of that requirement also.

Interesting, to say the least, considering the hassle to just get a stamp!

Last edited:
if the can is owned by a trust, i am pretty sure you need the trust documents to prove that you are legally in possession.

Originally Posted By: 6724if the can is owned by a trust, i am pretty sure you need the trust documents to prove that you are legally in possession.

This is only true if the name on your gov issued ID does NOT match the name of the trust on the Form 4 (or 1)

If your name is John Doe and the name of the trust is "John Doe's Revocable Living Trust"...your photo id is sufficient.

That said...I am not a lawyer and I am not offering legal advice.
Contact your attorney.

On block 15 of the Form 4 (on the back), the primary trustee's name is provided. If that is your name and you have a federally approved ID, you are good to go. It matters little if your trust's name matches your name as the "Trust" is a separate person.

Again, only an ATF agent is authorized to check your paperwork.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chorizo

Again, only an ATF agent is authorized to check your paperwork.

You are correct BUT if your smart you let any official look at your paperwork unless you want to be detained all day until an ATF agent can be located.

If you act like a prick you are guaranteed to be treated like one.

Back