my winchester model 70 got real scary yesterday

kooman

Not sure if anyone else has had this happen or heard of it happening, I got the 243 model 70 out yesterday just to shoot a few rounds cuz its been in the safe for a while. first few rounds from the bench went fine, then I got a rude wake up call. the gun was manufactured in the mid 80's and it has the standard Winchester 70 safety, with back is safe with a locked bolt, middle is safe with a bolt that can be opened, and forward is fire. i was on target and ready to fire so i pushed the safety forward one click, (most of my rifles are 2 position safetys so it was just a habit) pulled the trigger and of course nothing, oh yea dummy its still on safe, pushed the safety forward and much to my surprise bang the gun went off. so i kept doing the same thing with an unloaded rifle and i could get it to fire 80 percent of the time. calling Winchester tomorrow but just wondered how common this is and wanted to have you guys aware if you have a model 70 as well.

that is scary and very dangerous. are you the only owner since new? has the trigger ever been fooled with or adjusted by you or anybody else?

sounds like the trigger is adjusted way to light or it is maybe dirty and junked up and needs a good cleaning.

I don't think the trigger has ever been adjusted,it is pulling right at 5 pounds, there seems to be some excessive play in the safety part of the bolt though. the only time that I can get it to fire when moving the selector, is only after I pull the trigger when its in the middle position and its like something with the sear disengages and then when I push the lever to fire it does just that, fires.

I had a similar, but not quite as bad, issue with mine that I just noticed a few days ago.

The safety function still works as it's suppose to, but for some reason, I can still lift the bolt when it's in the most rearward "safe" position.
This should not be possible, so something is up...but like I said, It's not causing any problems right now. My other two function perfectly and you can only lift the bolt in the forward (fire) or middle positions.
I'll have it looked at as soon as I can get over to my smith.

PTG offers the pre FN 3 position safeties for few bucks. May look into a replacement. Had to do the same with one of mine. It will need fitted if your able or a trusted smith.

I would pull it apart and clean everything real good to include the firing pin assembly. Sometimes they can get gummed up over the years.

Yes, the Winchester factory option is a good one. You could also look up some U-Tube videos on how to get the bolt apart, then clean it well. I'd look at the trigger area too.

That sounds like the 'Remmy 700' issue, going off when put on 'fire'. Just another reminder for safe gun handling at all times.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturer...sList-43637.htm

Disassembly of bolt is simple. First cock the rifle and put safety @ center position to keep mainspring compressed. Remove bolt by pressing #36, breech bolt stop on left side of receiver forward. Once bolt removed, depress #18, cocking piece lock and unscrew cocking piece, firing pin, firing pin spring assy. You really don't need to disassemble any further to clean accumulated grease and gunk and re-lube. Be careful not to move safety as you can decompress firing pin spring. Can be re-cocked but easier if not decompressed.

Removing barreled action from stock will expose trigger so it can be cleaned. Do not overtighten trigger guard center screw; it is meant to be only snugged.

Regards,
hm

Back