Howa 1500 Hogue vs Howa 1500 Lightning

JaxTeller

In the market for another deer rifle. Howa is one that I am considering, and the caliber will be a 7mm-08.

As I browse the Legacy website: I see HGR62702. Which is the 1500 with the Hogue rubber stock. I looked online and cannot find anything with that product number. But I do see HWR62702. Which is listed as Howa Lightning. I asked one of the retailers, and was told that this is a fairly new model - where Howa is using their own stock. Similar rubberized texture as the Hogue, but not quite a Hogue.

Question: Has anyone had the chance to look at the Lightning model in person? What are your thoughts and how does it compare to the Hogue?

Cheers!

No info on handling one in person but when I bought my Sightron scope from whittakerguns.com the other day they had the lightning in 7-08 for $329.99. I was unaware that Howa had this model on the market but it seems pretty reasonably priced to me compared to the other 1500's I have looked at at Gander, Scheels, etc. Running solely off the price comparison and the fact it has a different stock, I ASSUME it is made to compete with the axis and ruger American. Sorry I don't have first hand info.

Whittakers has good CS. Those are the folks I emailed. Legacy Sports had no clue about it; and said it was a Hogue without the rubberized finish.

Whittakers said that it was a rubberized finish and very close to the Hogue finish. I believe them, and they say they've sold quite a few of these.

I think the 1500s are very close to Axis and others.

Last edited:
I just bought a Howa Lightning in 204. I'm not crazy about the 204 Ruger, but I had about 175 pieces of brass and over 400 bullets, so I decided to try one again. Now, as far as the Lightning is concerned, I had one in 223 that I sold to a fellow poster on here, mostly because I didn't shoot it much. The price on them is really good, so I pulled the trigger on another one. Mine has a 20 inch barrel, and the "rubber" stock. I don't care for the stock, as I think it has too much meat on its bones, and the length of pull feels a little longer than normal. The rifle seems to be a shooter, with the one load I tried in it shooting really good. If I keep it, I'll more than likely restock it. By the way, the trigger pull is very good.

Thanks.

I think I am going to get a "Lightning" in 7mm-08, with the 22 inch barrel. Will be done later this spring. Good to hear about the trigger. This one will be my backup deer rifle - or maybe if I like it, my go to rifle!

On a side note I have a 204 (T/C Venture). Amazingly accurate!!

I just purchased the Howa 1500 Rancheland security. 22-250 20" barrel 1/12 twist, rubberize stock and adjustable trigger. Trigger breaks a 2 1/2 lbs. so I didn't mess with it. Sounds like it was made for so it is easy to carry in ranchers truck etc. Still working on loads for it. At 200 yds. on a bench it shows great promise. I really like it. I already have a Howa 1500 in 223 with a Timney trigger and it is a tack driver.

Back