Weatherby Vanguard 2 no free float

I would float it and not look back. However, you could pull it apart and drop a spacer between the action and the stock. Sort of a temporary pillar bed. You can use washers or just pick up some 1/8 or 3/16 spacers from ace hardware. You could also snag some longer action screws with allen heads if you need them. This will give you an idea if you want to float and bed it.

Last edited:
Shoot it first ya might be surprised! ASSUMING its a hunting rifle im sure ya wont have to worry bout your groupings walkin due to thermal issues. try 3 shot groups. Ive got a rem 700 270 adl black syn. hunting rifle thats not freefloated n its a hammer that shoots sub moa @ 100. Ive also got a TCVenture 22-250 non freefloated that shoots lights out.....dont figure it wont shoot cuz its not freefloated,some do some dont.

Definitely don't mess with it until you at least shoot it. I have one in 240 Weatherby and it shoots under 1moa to 300 yards.

I had a S2 in .243 that shot really well not free floated. That stock may become flexy if you sand tha pads out. Plus if you sand them out and it doesn't shoot the sub MOA guarntee is gone.

I've had two range sessions with this rifle. At first it shot its MOA with Hornady factory ammo. Then it shot as if the action could be moving in the stock, 3 shots here and then 2 shots over there with same point of aim. Any how new stock is on its way.Only consistently accurate rifles are interesting to me.

Last edited:
This is a common misconception with people all too much that every rifle needs to be floated to be accurate. However this is not the case, one of the most accurate rifles i've owned(700 VTR) isn't floated. Shoots .25 MOA at 100 yards with match ammo. If a rifle isn't floated it likely isn't for a reason. Many companies that make sporter weight barrels don't float them as a thinner barrel may do better with pressure to dampen harmonics and increase rigidity. Floated designs like Xbolt and T/C Venture are made that way due to their own R&D and design, but doesn't mean if one isn't floated its worse or bad.

Read so often of people hating non floated factory stocks and ditching them just because they thought (oh its not floated its bad!!!) and no other reason. Most cases accuracy was worse or either same or maginal improvement.

Ill share my experience. I swapped out a 700 ADL to a B&C sporter stock floated and actually shot much worse but was sub MOA before that. Learned my lesson if something shoots well not to mess with it. If it doesn't maybe sometimes pressure could be a factor and you could float it but doesn't seem often. Unless you really just want to upgrade to get a nicer stock or such. Remember your shooting a factory sporting rifle not a match rifle. .5-1/5" is the norm. If floating bothers you that much just go with a floated design. Messing around without a discernable accuracy issue can work against you so unless there's a issue I personally say don't mess with it, as others have said.

Good luck seems you already made the change and it could be great and work out, hope it does just was stating that I noticed that misconception all too much and been frustrating for me to see online.

Last edited:
Back