Coyote contest

I think I will chime in here - I have entered a total of 1 tournament, we killed 5 dogs in two days and won 1st place. 2nd place had 5 dogs and we won because of total weight. they had 1 male & 4 females, we had 1 female and 4 males.

My best day ever with a partner was 10 Coyotes.

1. My partner and I have killed nearly 20 dogs the past two weeks, day and night hunting. Majority of Coyotes killed at night. Not 1 young, stupid, small or uneducated dog in the 20 or so we have shot.

2. Why not allow a "Blind" draw representative along, they are not going to steal your ground and typically they are not Coyote hunters. If they were they would be in the tournament.

3. If you feel any one person or team may be cheating let the tournament official(s) know. I would think that would be the responsibility of the person(s) putting on the tournament.

4. Once a tournament is over and somebody is declared the winner, Let them be the winner and maybe then you can plan better for the next tournament.

Congrats to the winners, that is still a great pile of Yotes!

Last competition I went to was over 5 years ago. The winners had 3 coyotes shot with a rifle, the rest were shot in the hind end with a shotgun. I could smell the 2-stroke on them. I made a choice right then and there that I'd never compete with anyone but myself on any hunt, ever again. Not long after that, I stopped attending rifle competitions, because if I won, there were people aggravated with me. If I lost, people would only want to talk to me about being aggravated at the winner.

Competition brings out the best in people's performances, and the worst in people's behavior. I loved competing, I just didn't love what it does to people. There is nothing worse than giving it my all for the win, and then having 5 people stand around and try to convince the judges that my shoelace was untied, and I should be DQ'd.

Shooting and hunting are both so much more enjoyable for me these days. We keep that same relaxed atmosphere in our precision rifle classes we teach, and frequently receive comments from the students about how enjoyable and laid back it is to learn with us here. Look at what has unfolded in this thread. Even talking about competition can turn ugly. It's way uglier when you see the bad side of folks in competition in person. Next time you see them, sometimes they try to apologize and offer the "I just got caught up in it" excuse for their behavior. It would seem that the behavior of folks at competitions continues to slide the wrong direction at the same pace as society as a whole continues to slide the wrong direction.

The same can be seen in all forums. Someone always has a witty quip to throw at someone, most often that if it were said in person, would result in a quick knuckle shot to the sandwich hole. People whom deserve no respect, feel entitled to it, while those whom deserve the most respect, are pushed farther and farther from the conversation.

Forgetting all that for a moment, I also believe that competition hunting results in more educated dogs than regular calling. Folks are often so wrapped up in getting the big "W" that they hunt faster and take more chances than they would if it were just a relaxed day of calling. Granted those with skill are going to kill what they'd kill, but the large majority of folks that attend competitions aren't super-sized yote slayers. They are just regular folks that like to hunt a bit. Apply a little pressure and things are sure to get out of hand before they even realize it.

Fact is there are very few ways to ensure people do not cheat. Measures like adding a foreign hunter to the team can help, but aren't fool proof either. Also as mentioned above, I'm not about to take some random dude out and show him how I do what I do and where I do it. Even if there is blatant cheating, there is little that can be done about it.

The excellent among us used to be promoted and used as an example to strive toward. In a society where all laws, regulations, and education are designed around the lowest common denominator... the weak rarely have anything but contempt for the strong, and that behavior seems to be encouraged at every turn.

The issues touched on in this thread are merely symptoms of the much larger disease. My suggestion is that if you can not personally be sure that you will not be competing against cheaters, do not compete. I have never seen a competition where competitors would not use every advantage they could get away with. If you show up unprepared for that, chances are you are going to have a bad time.

Originally Posted By: orkanLast competition I went to was over 5 years ago. The winners had 3 coyotes shot with a rifle, the rest were shot in the hind end with a shotgun. I could smell the 2-stroke on them. I made a choice right then and there that I'd never compete with anyone but myself on any hunt, ever again. Not long after that, I stopped attending rifle competitions, because if I won, there were people aggravated with me. If I lost, people would only want to talk to me about being aggravated at the winner.

Competition brings out the best in people's performances, and the worst in people's behavior. I loved competing, I just didn't love what it does to people. There is nothing worse than giving it my all for the win, and then having 5 people stand around and try to convince the judges that my shoelace was untied, and I should be DQ'd.

Shooting and hunting are both so much more enjoyable for me these days. We keep that same relaxed atmosphere in our precision rifle classes we teach, and frequently receive comments from the students about how enjoyable and laid back it is to learn with us here. Look at what has unfolded in this thread. Even talking about competition can turn ugly. It's way uglier when you see the bad side of folks in competition in person. Next time you see them, sometimes they try to apologize and offer the "I just got caught up in it" excuse for their behavior. It would seem that the behavior of folks at competitions continues to slide the wrong direction at the same pace as society as a whole continues to slide the wrong direction.

The same can be seen in all forums. Someone always has a witty quip to throw at someone, most often that if it were said in person, would result in a quick knuckle shot to the sandwich hole. People whom deserve no respect, feel entitled to it, while those whom deserve the most respect, are pushed farther and farther from the conversation.

Forgetting all that for a moment, I also believe that competition hunting results in more educated dogs than regular calling. Folks are often so wrapped up in getting the big "W" that they hunt faster and take more chances than they would if it were just a relaxed day of calling. Granted those with skill are going to kill what they'd kill, but the large majority of folks that attend competitions aren't super-sized yote slayers. They are just regular folks that like to hunt a bit. Apply a little pressure and things are sure to get out of hand before they even realize it.

Fact is there are very few ways to ensure people do not cheat. Measures like adding a foreign hunter to the team can help, but aren't fool proof either. Also as mentioned above, I'm not about to take some random dude out and show him how I do what I do and where I do it. Even if there is blatant cheating, there is little that can be done about it.

The excellent among us used to be promoted and used as an example to strive toward. In a society where all laws, regulations, and education are designed around the lowest common denominator... the weak rarely have anything but contempt for the strong, and that behavior seems to be encouraged at every turn.

The issues touched on in this thread are merely symptoms of the much larger disease. My suggestion is that if you can not personally be sure that you will not be competing against cheaters, do not compete. I have never seen a competition where competitors would not use every advantage they could get away with. If you show up unprepared for that, chances are you are going to have a bad time.

+1 I agree!

Also, even if you win, you still have the losers claiming you cheated!

I will not enter a contest like you said, win, and then you are a loser!

Originally Posted By: orkanLast competition I went to was over 5 years ago. The winners had 3 coyotes shot with a rifle, the rest were shot in the hind end with a shotgun. I could smell the 2-stroke on them. I made a choice right then and there that I'd never compete with anyone but myself on any hunt, ever again. Not long after that, I stopped attending rifle competitions, because if I won, there were people aggravated with me. If I lost, people would only want to talk to me about being aggravated at the winner.

Well said!

Congrats to getemclose and his partner! Nothing like working your tails off and being rewarded for your efforts.

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinOriginally Posted By: FairChase93Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinOriginally Posted By: 223impactOriginally Posted By: 204 ARWow. Wonder if it was legit, or cheating the system somehow?

Id imagine, they would be able to tell if they were at least somewhat fresh as opposed to frozen and thawed. That's a lot of dogs

The issue of isn't that, its whether they called them or chased them with rangers, trucks or wheelers. I hunted the first annual one in Pierre last year and id suspect some serious chasing from some of the guys. coyotes dont get 3 holes in them the size of dinner plates without some hardcore shooting while chasing. I hope not, but it sure looked like it.....

Are you referring to the one North of Pierre South Dakota at the Grey Goose store?

Yep, and for the record it doesn't bother me and Im not complaining about it, but the shot placement seemed odd for some of those dogs, but this is only speculation cuz i don't actually know how they killed those dogs

Well point of interest, the winners of that contest were later found to be cheating. I don't know all the details but from what I've been able to gather they had a lot of people out with them and more than one vehicle. I know nothing of the 2nd place team, I've never seen them at another contest but just talking to them they seem to be good honest guys, and were genuinely excited to have killed 5 coyotes in a day. My suspicion is that they were honest but who knows. I took 3rd in that contest so it really chaps me to know I got cheated out of 2nd place money. We had a good 2hrs of calling and if we had been on our game we would have killed 7 instead of 4. I know my word on the internet probably don't mean much but i can assure you we hunt by the rules.

I personally organize 2 contest every year and help with many others. If your careful and diligent you can catch a good amount of cheating at checkin, if you know what your doing anyways. Also if you have suspicions there are ways to get the truth out of people and we have caught a few over the years that way as well. The bottom line is it don't matter if its hunting, racing, gambling, or the cutest baby contest there are always going to be people who attempt to cheat.

In this day and age where everybody seems to talk to everybody else and puts their entire lives on social media word spreads fast. Really all you have in the contest community is your "honor" and if you want to keep it you had better play by the rules. When we catch a cheater we keep their names in our records and they are certainly never welcome back and I make sure I let everyone i know that plans a contest who they were and what they got caught doing. I keep in contact with as many people as i can and have compiled a rather lengthy list of cheaters from various contests around the state. It didn't take long for news to spread that our club and many others were talking to each other and had our eyes on a lot of teams.

We will never catch them all but the cheating has been contained to a degree. I absolutely love coyote hunting and I love to compete and I love to gamble so there is not a better way for me to spend a weekend than hunting a contest. I understand they are not for everybody but there are still plenty of good honest contest hunters out there.

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinanyone planning any in OK, SD or MN this year? me and crew are making a few trips to those states for dogs this year

I can point you to a contest every weekend from the first of December through the end of February for the western half of South Dakota anyways.

It was last winter at a contest north of Pierre SD at the Grey Goose store. It was the contest Fullmoonyoteskin was referencing early in this thread.

First off congrats to mitch and marty on an epic day they won't forget!! This will be my 3rd year as a rep at the Coyote Craze Classic and I am a very serious coyote hunter that travels 5 hours one way to be a rep. I would never take someone else's hunting ground that's just who i am but both teams gave me an open invitation to hunt with them anytime as you form lasting friendships with the people you hunt with. If you have to cheat to win what pride can you take from that? I have never hunted a contest based on money payout it's about pride for me.

Originally Posted By: ToddNEIf you have to cheat to win what pride can you take from that? The modern society we live in does not have pride. Ever heard of a "troll?" They delight in harassing and annoying people that take things seriously. ANYTHING, seriously. These types consider anyone taking anything seriously and applying yourself to be losers. They call us "try-hard's."

As I said, society isn't what it once was. As it slides, so does the people in events that used to be honorable.

Originally Posted By: ToddNEFirst off congrats to mitch and marty on an epic day they won't forget!! This will be my 3rd year as a rep at the Coyote Craze Classic and I am a very serious coyote hunter that travels 5 hours one way to be a rep. I would never take someone else's hunting ground that's just who i am but both teams gave me an open invitation to hunt with them anytime as you form lasting friendships with the people you hunt with. If you have to cheat to win what pride can you take from that? I have never hunted a contest based on money payout it's about pride for me.

I agree Todd. But that excuse is one the cheating winners depend on, along with "you just can't step up, and you're jealous". This is why you see winning cheating teams never hunt the sit out year after two wins. Unless your a stand up team, then you will get new partners for your off year. This was evident in St. Francis and others.
Fun to see the kilo-scope of perspectives isn't it!

Originally Posted By: FairChase93Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinanyone planning any in OK, SD or MN this year? me and crew are making a few trips to those states for dogs this year

I can point you to a contest every weekend from the first of December through the end of February for the western half of South Dakota anyways.

Any of them coming up in January? I hunt near Mobridge when I go west - have friends in the hills and Butte areas though that I could hunt

FairChase93, did I speak with you at that Grey Goose Tourney - My hunting buddy and I were the only guys from MN out there - I think I spoke with you at weigh-ins outside there - you were a younger guy, right?

I remember seeing coyotes upon coyotes shot with 300 wsm and 7mm mags, lol. Not much for fur it looked like.

There is a big contest in Eagle Butte this weekend. Im not sure if we spoke or not i geuss, very possible we did j usually gab at anybody who will listen!

My partner and I hunted the "National" at Rawlins, Wy six or seven times. It's been over 10 years since I last competed, but the main reason I finally quit going was I kind of got tired of competing with people that had leased ranches when us poor folks were hunting public land. Nothing illegal as far as contest rules go, but it definitely can give what I would consider an unfair advantage to those that pay out the money and go that route.

Not really whining, (in fact we even placed two years), and truthfully we met a lot of great guys and had a ton of fun.

Congrats to the Getemclose and his partner. I admire hard-core hunters like you two!

Originally Posted By: FairChase93There is a big contest in Eagle Butte this weekend. Im not sure if we spoke or not i geuss, very possible we did j usually gab at anybody who will listen!

That's that video calling contest in Eagle Butte right? I would love to, but I don't get much vacation being in the construction industry. Next year I might have a few days off to chase dogs out there. You ever done that McLaughlin one?

Back