fur collecting question?

shawn@mo

So in missouri they change coyote season to all year around except turkey and deer Season, anyways we have a fur bearer season that ends Jan. 31 I believe can you still keep coyote fur after the fur bearer season?? Kind if confused I figured you can keep them if allowed to hunt them? Just wasnt for sure if you can store in till next fur bearer season to sell??

In most states there is a legal difference between "furbearer" (think bobcat, beaver, mink) and unprotected "predators" whose fur can be harvested anytime (coyote, red fox, skunk). Should be found in your state game regs.

the basic answer (not what is legal and you need to verify) is that if you shoot a nice fury coyote that doesn't have mange, or hasn't rubbed the fur, can be shot, and put up, before the last of the fur sales, and if not, as long as you put it up correctly, can be kept in cool dry place stored until next season.

I found that as soon as they start rubbing that fur on the bellies and start to loose the winter fur, it's not worth it to me to skin it.

You could talk to the local fur buyer and in Feb call and ask what he is paying on average, and base it on that. (assuming it's legal to shoot them in your state at that time of course)

Originally Posted By: shawn@moSo in missouri they change coyote season to all year around except turkey and deer Season, anyways we have a fur bearer season that ends Jan. 31 I believe can you still keep coyote fur after the fur bearer season?? Kind if confused I figured you can keep them if allowed to hunt them? Just wasnt for sure if you can store in till next fur bearer season to sell??

Just an FYI post...

Coyotes may NOT be hunted during daylight hours from April 1 through April 19.

During spring turkey season, coyotes may be taken using only methods allowed for spring turkey, and hunters must have an unfilled turkey permit and a permit to hunt small game.

Dogs may not be used to hunt coyotes during daylight hours statewide from November 1 to the close of the November portion of the firearms deer season and during the antlerless portions in open counties.

Thanks guys, gc I didnt know about April 1 though the 19 why is that?? I dont hunt them at that time of year thst is probably why..

Coyote season has always closed March 31st. And reopens right after spring turkey season ends. The only thing that changed recently is that MDC is allowing turkey hunters to shoot coyotes now under the provisions outlined above. You remember we couldn't legally shoot those coyotes that came to investigate our turkey calling or decoys in the past. Lots of guys killed them anyway and I've never talked to a Conservation Agent that would ticket a guy for killing a coyote out of season in that situation. I think to protect fully camouflaged turkey hunters MDC doesn't want guys banging away with centerfire rifles while turkey hunters are out and about. The woods are getting greened up with a lot of vegetation and brush by then and visibility is limited.

Fur buyer told me to skin the coyote and turn it fur side out and roll it up in a ball and freeze it. Put it in a garbage sack, when frozen it would keep for 2 yrs. He has done this many times. He doesn't want coyote past January. Rudy

That is how we do coon hides, but use freezer bags instead of trashbags. But I figured early to mid February hides would still be good.

When i roll them up fur side out, i start with the tail, and make sure the face is last to roll. I do that so that when I thaw it, the face, which you flesh first, thaws first and fleshing a coyote hide that has the tail still a little frozen is actually easier (imo) because that fatty area near the butt, is slightly frozen and fleshes right off easier than when its thawed.

I also use trash Compactor bags to put them in, (they don't leak)

Good luck.

here in oregon there is no closed season on coyotes ,however that is where it gets complicated cant shoot after dark so night hunting is out, bummer,cant hunt them during a big game season unless you have a valid big game tag for that season {which our seasons run from aug through dec 31st } for different units and areas . unless you are on private ground and a predator manager for the land owner. so i do alot of trapping and calling where i can when i can

i traditionally stop keeping coyote furs after mid jan .it is when they start breeding here. i have kept furs for a year in the freezer after they have already been fleshed and dried.

no furs after january? wow, that would take away a good portion of my season. i have sold hides from as late as march with no complaints from the fur buyer.

the fur buyer and i both PREFER early season for the color, but the later season hides can be quite good. most of my coyotes are killed at 7500' elevation and up. our weather is a bit different up here, i had snow on the ground at my house at 8400' until a week ago. and the warmest day i have had so far was maybe 60.

i freeze hides with the face rolled up first, if it is going to be stored for any length of time. if not the thin parts of the face freezer burn quickly.

Back