Tannerite Night

Gman757

I have been thinking lately about a setup I would like to try. My plan is to put a feeder about 15 yards from the edge of a wood line in a open field. Then when I have a good sounder of hogs coming in set it up for some fun.

My idea is to tape a hand warmer onto a 1/2 lb. container of Tannerite so I can see it in my thermal scope and set it up about 2 feet off the ground right at the edge of the woods between the woods and the feeder. I would set up about 100 yards out in the field off to one side. Once the hogs are out around the feeder shoot the tannerite and watch all h*ll break loose. My guess is that the hogs will head for the field running wide open and it will be game on.

I rarely put more than 20 rounds in a magazine but this might be a 30 round event.
w00t.gif

Anybody ever tried this???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SkyPupDon't be surprised if Sheriff Bomb Squad shows up for an explanation!

True Pup. Last Thanksgiving we were shooting some out in a field on my Uncles farm and there was a Sheriffs Deputy waiting on the side of the road when we came out. He pulled us over after following us for about a mile and wanted to know what we were up to.

We showed some Tannerite to him and explained what it was and that we had bought it at the local gun store. Evidently he had been sitting and listening to the explosions and he was surprised at how loud they were. He was cool with everything once he knew what was going on.

Last edited:
I thought about that too, but nearest houses are about a mile away and at night could result in call to authorities.

Most non-hunters do not know it is even legal to hunt at night for vermin and will report any gunshot as a poacher or crime occurrence to the Sheriff Office.

At least it won't matter if your rifle has a suppressor on it or not!!!

Originally Posted By: SkyPupI thought about that too, but nearest houses are about a mile away and at night could result in call to authorities.

I just picked up a new 4k acre farm and last year the hogs destroyed every feeder that had been put out for deer. The property owner wants me to blow them all up with Tannerite. I really don't care to have hog blood and hog parts scattered everywhere, especially airborne blood particulates.

Since he is cool with Tannerite I figured the next best thing would be to have a little fun with the Tannerite and my rifle at the same time. 1/2 lb. should do the job and not be overly loud. 4k acres gives me some space also.

This will be mostly for entertainment and of course it should make for an interesting video.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: canuroperHurry up!

Stay tuned......this pic just came into my phone. Weather will be a factor for the next few days but if they hang around they might be the stars in my "Tannerite Night" video.
thumbup.gif

(Date stamp time is correct but not the date)

3fTfOC5.jpg

Last edited:
Tannerite and a bunch of hogs gives me visions of that time where they tried to remove a whale carcass with trinitrotoluene.
thumbup1.gif

i have just bought 13lbs of it and was thinking of the same thing!!!

my issue is, i am around 60 yards away from the bait site(a cutline in the bush)
and was wondering was it going to be safe enough not to get hurt
by flying pig bits and trees.

any ideas??

.5 lbs of tannerite at 60yrds is fine as long as it's not in something metal and you use the plastic container that it comes in..
I wouldn't be any closer than that.. There is also a point of diminishing return on Tannerite.. You can't just pour pounds of it in a single container and get an even bigger burst.
The bigger caliber and more energy delivered does make a difference. It does help to set off between 10-15lbs of it in an ammo can. it helps to get full compression and ignition. But don't be close to that.. In a dry lake bed it cleared all the weeds within a 20yrd circle.

In AZ, you cannot use it to take wildlife of any kind.. I thought it would be a lot of fun to to put it in the ground and use it to launch Prairie dogs. But, prefer not going to jail.

Check the local laws before doing it..
And, I hate to be the buzz kill, and man would i love to set it up with a backdrop to force the charge concussion toward the hogs to stun them or at least take out the ballance and then shoot them before they come out of it.. But, please don't tape it..

I did a lot of really dumb things as a young man with way to much testosterone and wow am i glad that we didn't have youtube. We very well could have been in jail. There is no such think as random and anonymous without being really really good at Tech.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ.5 lbs of tannerite at 60yrds is fine as long as it's not in something metal and you use the plastic container that it comes in..
I wouldn't be any closer than that.. There is also a point of diminishing return on Tannerite.. You can't just pour pounds of it in a single container and get an even bigger burst.
The bigger caliber and more energy delivered does make a difference. It does help to set off between 10-15lbs of it in an ammo can. it helps to get full compression and ignition. But don't be close to that.. In a dry lake bed it cleared all the weeds within a 20yrd circle.

In AZ, you cannot use it to take wildlife of any kind.. I thought it would be a lot of fun to to put it in the ground and use it to launch Prairie dogs. But, prefer not going to jail.

And, I hate to be the buzz kill, and man would i love to set it up with a backdrop to force the charge concussion toward the hogs to stun them or at least take out the ballance and then shoot them before they come out of it.. But, please don't tape it..

I did a lot of really dumb things as a young man with way to much testosterone and wow am i glad that we didn't have youtube. We very well could have been in jail. There is no such think as random and anonymous without being really really good at Tech.

thanks for the info and advice.
i am in canada and not sure of the regs but pigs are a different class of animal up here also.

i dont tape nothing and trust me i wouldnt even dream of posting it anywhere if i did.

i was after what the blast effect was at a safe distance.
i do have another spot where the pigs do come in at and its a
good 120 yards from a covered hi seat.

maybe i should set it up there just to be on the safe side.

timing is of the essence as the pigs rarely feed during daylight hours.sigh........

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ.5 lbs of tannerite at 60yrds is fine as long as it's not in something metal and you use the plastic container that it comes in..
I wouldn't be any closer than that.. There is also a point of diminishing return on Tannerite..

EDIT UPDATE.......I CHECKED WITH FISH AND GAME AND IT IS ILLEGAL TO DO THIS SO THIS ENDS THE TANNERITE HOG CONTROL PROJECT

Not to worry though..... I have plenty of Ammo.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Back